ADVERTISEMENT

Game 10 Microscope: Virginia Tech Hokies

What I find humorous is that there was all this beyatching and moaning about attrition (and rightfully so at the time) during the offseason prior to the 2014 season. Then, during and after a very successful 2014 season, not a peep about that issue/concept.

Now, we have more people looking for excuses and attrition over the past 24 months is again a hot item. Fans are stupid sometimes...well, often.

A lot of the attrition made Tech better in the long run, IMO.

We returned the most experienced defense we have had in a very long time, for instance. And, look what we got this year.

One of those stupid fans here, who always "beeyatches" about depth and attrition. Factoring in that we do not over recruit, have a limited curriculum and a hill that is as steep as a mountain in the middle of a metropolis for academia....GT is paying now for those smaller recruiting classes mixed in with the always present turnover. We started this season with like 39 Fr. or Fr.-RS. I kept hearing how much depth we had, how we would go unbeaten with this tough schedule. I bought in to some extent, predicting only three losses. I was way off. The injuries were unexpected, the lack of leadership, chemistry hurt too.

Some of us never stopped complaining about it. I am a consistent complainer going back to the AD Weaver days. Heck, I kept trying to get after Al to open up Cremins' mind to having a bench. And those were the good days of Hoops!

I'm just glad the 2015 class has enough talent to give the staff viable alternatives to our underachieving upperclassmen. Attrition led to that being a big class and 2016 is growing in numbers too. The timing seems pretty good because the coaching staff seems to be finally getting a handle on recruiting Tech. The 2015 class is by far our best since 2007, and the 2016 class is shaping up nicely. I see lots of reason for optimism going forward.

I agree with you Texwood. This next class should be over 20 in numbers.

All schools are after those big, fast, quick DL's. There is just a shortage of premium ones that want a premium education within our curriculum.

Now that it is Thursday and we are getting closer to kickoff, some keys to winning Saturday night...

1. Cover Isaiah Ford. He's their go-to guy. He will get 10+ targets potentially. He has 7 TD's on the season which is tied with a bunch of other guys for 20th most in the nation right now. Not bad considering VPI&SU is not a "pass happy" or wide open offense like a lot of the other guys at the top of that list (i.e., WR's from systems like Baylor, Washington State, TCU, etc.). He averages about 5 catches a game, which isn't a lot, but of his catches, he averages a TD catch on about one in every 6.

2. Win the special teams and turnover margin. Well, at least don't F it up. The last 3 Tech-State University games have come down to a last second FG (2014), a 7-pt low scoring Buzzard win on Grant Field where the Jackets gave the game away with turnovers in our own territory (against a horrendous State University offense), and a brain fart at the end on Labor Day night losing in overtime after scoring to go ahead with about 45 seconds left.

3. Squelch the Beamer Factor. Certainly, we will get a jacked up team trying to "Win One For Beamer Ball". Screw that. We have our own reasons to win. Hopefully, at minimum, a major reason is to save face. This Buzzard team is 103rd nationally offensively in YPP. Only Wake Forest and BC are worse in the ACC. Of course, the French were nearly that bad heading into our game at SSS and they made toast out of our defense so a "consistently mediocre" performance against this putrid State University offense (less I. Ford) may be a step up for our guys.

4. See if Shawn Jones, Marco Coleman, and others can suit up. We can use them. Seriously, I hope seeing these guys and the hype around them rubs off some on these young'uns we have playing. These guys proved you can win big when all 3 phases of the game are firing on all cylinders. Yes, even with tough academic standards, limited curricula and all that overblown stuff.

Happy Veteran's Day tomorrow to all of our vets and service members. It's great to have it fall on a Friday this year so I can start the weekend early. ;)

While I am feeling better, my 11yo is recovering from strep. The mojo is so out of whack this year (reverting to 2010 form) that I have no idea if her sipping out of all their gatorade cups would have any effect or not. We could try to back it out with a good case of cooties too? What worked for F$U failed against the French, so.... I have no idea.

While I am feeling better, my 11yo is recovering from strep. The mojo is so out of whack this year (reverting to 2010 form) that I have no idea if her sipping out of all their gatorade cups would have any effect or not. We could try to back it out with a good case of cooties too? What worked for F$U failed against the French, so.... I have no idea.

Let's try the cooties. Something new. Kind of follows the PLAY...THE...YOUNG'UNS theme.

We've tried elephantitus of the scrotal region and I'd prefer we not try that again.

Let's try the cooties. Something new. Kind of follows the PLAY...THE...YOUNG'UNS theme.

We've tried elephantitus of the scrotal region and I'd prefer we not try that again.
Cooties can be very bad, it's dangerous to play with cooties I got it once at the age of 7. I'm thinking we do something safe like voodoo.

You didn't get the "circle, circle, dot, dot, I just gave you a cootie shot" vaccine?????

You didn't get the "circle, circle, dot, dot, I just gave you a cootie shot" vaccine?????
No that is a new shot i'm kind of old. I had to take 4 showers using A- Jax . One would have done it but I was being safe. I was told by GTJT that it can come back but it would not if I drink more beer , GTJT is my hero .

Hero is a word that is thrown around far too often. I prefer sensei or perhaps advisor. Or, if you are in a particularly jaunty mood, just refer to me as Dingo.

The best way to deal with cooties is to not get them in the first place. You know, ounce of prevention and all that stuff. In other words, don't hang out with girls named Tina Cherry in trailer parks or anywhere near the Clarke County Correctional Institution.

If you do unfortunately get a case of cooties, the best way to deal with it in reactive mode is to shave your head. Preferably the one between your shoulders of course.

Good luck.

Last edited:
For the fashionistas among us, the Hokies have announced they are wearing orange jerseys with white pants tomorrow night. No info on whether they are wearing any shoes and socks or whether they have any balls.

Though uniform fashionista discussion ranks right around 8,439th on my list of interesting things to talk about on message boards (right behind quiche recipes), I guess this suggests we will be wearing white tomorrow night which makes me a bit sad if so because I was hoping we'd do the 1990 throwbacks...

images

Oh well. Got any good quiche recipes involving mountain oysters?

I did not hear if they used their balls this week at practice . As for a good quiche recipe I'll send you one in the mail. Also I know Christmas is coming so I'm going to send your credit card back after Christmas .

Keep the credit card. Wager 622 bucks on the Hokies getting 3 pts. Consider it a Christmas gift from me.

Not feeling it. Hope I'm wrong. But, I've got the Hokies winning 24-17.

I'm not feeling it either. In fact, we have now hit a trifecta of angles that have worked well for me in the past.

1. Simplifying (when coaches utter that word - bet against)
2. Dumbfounded (when coaches are at a loss as to why experienced players aren't executing - bet against)
3. Departure (when starters leave the team on their own accord - bet against).

All three of those things have happened this year, so we are an absolute bet against the spread in this contest. Here's to hoping we win this thing by a point or two.

2 more words... Bud Foster.

Edit note: must be nice to have both a first and last name from names of beers...though the last name is actually after swill that they don't offer in Australia...yet, I've drank Bud in both Sydney and Perth. But, I digress.

I have no faith whatsoever in our defense but you probably knew that already.

I have no faith whatsoever in our defense but you probably knew that already.

Our defense sucked with a seriously disruptive 3-technique who will play on Sundays. It's only gonna get worse from here on in.

Looking further out, Henderson has the makings of a solid NT. I urge all Tech fans to focus in on #54 in short yardage situations. He's got something we haven't seen around here in a while.

I with you guys we will not win. On years we have a good offense we only score an avg of 20 points . VPI 24 young guys 10.

If Tech can sneak Marco Coleman, Jerelle Williams, Kevin Battle and Ken Swilling in the game, I think we have a chance.

Has GT beat VPI on a Thursday night game ? I think we are 0-5 on Thursday night games against them.

Nope. Beamer is perfect 5-0 over us on Thursdays. But not sure why that matters. Thursday was yesterday. TGIF, mate! The weekend has arrived. Woohoo!!

Realizing VPI's front seven are not as accomplished as some of the Foster fronts from the past, they still have talent. When they get fired up like tomorrow night, watch out!

This has the potential to be CPJ's first offensive shut-out. I can see us not scoring period. I guess it's impressive he's never been shut out before (I know not at Tech, but maybe ever??) I appreciate the fact that the good guys will go down fighting, and I will cheer until the clock rolls down to 00:00.

This has the potential to be CPJ's first offensive shut-out. I can see us not scoring period. I guess it's impressive he's never been shut out before (I know not at Tech, but maybe ever??) I appreciate the fact that the good guys will go down fighting, and I will cheer until the clock rolls down to 00:00.
I'm with you , I do think we can score but only about 10 points and don't see us holding them to less than 10.
But I will be there and cheer our team . I look so forward each year for football season. Maybe next year but 2018 looks to be the year once all these freshman are Seniors .

Mel.-
To answer your question, I believe he was shut out 38-0 by UConn., while at Navy. About 13 years ago on a cool November day with a Navy squad that won only 2 games.

I don't want to break any Hippa Laws or Rules, but if a player has a bruised kidney, his future is more important than one or two or three games.

On a side note, I will be attending my first GT Football game in 17 years without my son tonight. He is getting round the clock therapeutic care. His "heart" will bee with the Team, the 1990 Team, and the Band. Missing the three hours of pregame activities to watch ESPN, is not his idea of seeing the Jackets play!

I don't want to break any Hippa Laws or Rules, but if a player has a bruised kidney, his future is more important than one or two or three games.

On a side note, I will be attending my first GT Football game in 17 years without my son tonight. He is getting round the clock therapeutic care. His "heart" will bee with the Team, the 1990 Team, and the Band. Missing the three hours of pregame activities to watch ESPN, is not his idea of seeing the Jackets play!

I will toast him with multiple Bud Lights this evening. Go Jackets!

GTJT we do have the 1990 uniforms tonight. Damn they look good.

Last edited:
Unis indeed look awesome, my friend. Brings back so many great memories. Great start for the Good Guys tonight. Let's go Jackets!

The ability to protect the QB was starkly contrasted between these two teams in the 1st half. We are still having problems blocking the pass rush with max protect and 2-man routes. As Sewak said, sometime it defies explanation.

CTR is blitzing more tonight than normal though we still aren't getting to the QB. Hokies get ball to start 2nd half. First drive will be key for both sides.

Hope we see more of #94 in the 2nd half. He was flashing in limited snaps on the DL in the 1st half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT