ADVERTISEMENT

Ga Southern@GT...Oct 15...12:30pm (RSN)

Looking at some stats from today's win...

• ZERO turnovers by Tech - we got lucky on the one poor decision pitch fumble by JT5 that he wound up recovering (whew!)
  • only 3 penalties for 30 yards for Tech - the one pass INT on 3rd down where the Eagles QB just chucked it deep as a prayer was 15 of them (ugh!)...otherwise, a pretty good day...GSU had 7 penalties for 66 yds
  • Tech's average yards per carry wound up at 6.0...GSU's was 3.3
  • Tech's average yards per play finished at 7.9...GSU's was 4.0
  • the Good Guys gained 102 more yards than GSU while running 28 fewer plays
  • the obvious biggest negative for Tech was allowing 13 of 20 3rd down conversions (65%)
  • Butker's missed FG was his first (and let's hope only) of the season
  • Rod Rook-Chungong had 3 solo tackles today...all 3 for losses

John, our Executive Director for Alumni Bands came down from Nashville to support Megatron going into the Tech Hall on Saturday. We had a great visit with him, his new bride, along with BFL Jr. and he will be back for Homecoming weekend.

We sat two rows behind one of the ugliest blood baths, I've witnessed in my 300 plus home games for GT Football. The rows are narrow as you all know. An older gentleman was careless with his walking cane regarding the younger man seated on the row in front of him. It lead to the later getting cut on the face by it...then taking it from him and trying to use the titanium walking cane as a deadly instrument. I tried calling the fan assistance line, while asking the people behind us in a suite to call police security and an EMT. It seemed like forever until the officer came(no first aid or medical ever arrived). Tech did send a "clean up man" with spray and paper towels. So hard not to spend the rest of the game thinking of what happened and what is really important as opposed to who wins the contest. More and more we hear and see incidents around the stadium inside and out. GT never seems to have ushers present or enough personnel to handle the numbers of people in these more hostile times. In the fourth quarter our own seats were doused from a liquid that was falling off the Upper West Deck. Could have been the GSU folks cleaning up leftovers before they left to go home? Nice crowd they brought in.

One thing I forgot to mention....John raised over 10k(virtually asked at the last minute)to send the physical instruments like the tubas, to Ireland for the BC game earlier this season. He didn't even go himself. Always helping the current band. He thinks they are some of the finest we've ever had.

I have to agree with him, although I'm going by what BFL, Jr. tells me mostly. The ones I have had the privilege of speaking with and getting to know, remind me of the great members we've always had. Talking briefly a few hours before the GSU game with Chris Moore, you realize how dedicated this group is to practicing and their energy level is overwhelming. We have always found a roaming band to follow around campus prior to the Ferst Center pregame with the entire band, since BFL, Jr. was a tiny tot bee. Rain, heat, cold, drunk dawgs....they all are dedicated to the cause.

Edited to say: BFL, Jr. is fantastic on the kazoo, he knows every song they play. Sometimes they hand him their instruments to play. When he was a toddler, I gave him harmonicas that were larger. He always wanted his 1960's yellow, GT Megaphone to carry around. I had a few of them, as he beat them up on the old seats in Alexander Memorial. He made band songs come out of those things by humming the tunes. People still come up to me and ask, how did he get so big? I wrapped him in blankets as a baby, because he was born at the start of ACC Hoops season in 1998. The young folks in the band have always adopted him as theirs.

Last edited:
I read about folks concerned about our O. Am I the only one who sees progression this fall? From BC to Vandy there was clear progress. Then Clemson happened. Then from Miami to GSU there has been progress. We're very good at both B back and A back. We're excellent at QB. I see definite improvement at WR, though we need to continue to improve there. The OL looks about as good as it has in the last 1.5 years.

The only thing that I see really hampering us is too many youthful mistakes occasionally which are resulting in negative yards and stalling drives. Those are fixable and we seem to be getting better each game at it. I think we're good enough on O right now to win every game left. VPI and UNC will be tough, but they're all winnable.

Our D gave up under 200 yards both passing and rushing yesterday, and GSU had the ball for almost 34 minutes. That's not bad at all. They need to tighten up on third down, yes. But I'm OK with how they're playing overall. They'll get torched by UNC if they don't get stops when they can, so that ihas to be a focus. Pressure by our front four would be good, too.

I'm optimistic.

Glad for the win. But the consistency wasn't there. I know GSU made some adjustments and they have some excellent players who made a few plays. But I thought the offense was streaky and the defense still has lapses that must get fixed.

We've beaten 4 teams we were favored to beat. We've lost to 3 teams were not favored to beat.

We will be favorites at home against Duke & Virginia. We will be underdogs at Cheaterville and Blacksburg. We will likely be underdogs at Hell right after Turkey Day, but that game is a toss-up right now. We play them better at the Toilet Bowl than on Grant Field for some odd reason. Hopefully, our offense can put up more than 7 points against them this year. :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT