ADVERTISEMENT

Ga Southern@GT...Oct 15...12:30pm (RSN)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Hey, another 12:30 kickoff. Yipeeeeeee!

tenor.gif

The rest of the Oct. 15 schedule for the ACC...

Friday, October 14
Duke at Louisville, 7:00pm, ESPN

Saturday, October 15
NC State at Clemson, Noon, ABC, ESPN or ESPN2*
Georgia Southern at Georgia Tech, 12:30pm, ACC RSN
Pitt at Virginia, 12:30pm, ACC Network
Wake Forest at Florida State, 3:30pm, ABC, ESPN or ESPN2*
North Carolina at Miami, 3:30pm, ABC, ESPN or ESPN2*
Virginia Tech at Syracuse, 3:45pm, ESPNU

Oh great I still hate noon knockoffs and yes I know it is 12:30 but I hate them also

Vandy at Cesspool, 12pm, SEC Network (they have to play the dreaded noon game as well)
Alabama at Tennessee, 3:30pm, CBS (4 weeks in a row Vols on CBS SEC GOTW...and, have to listen to those 2 bumbling fools unfortunately)

Some stats to gnaw on in this early week...

vs Savannah State - WIN 54-0
at South Alabama - WIN 24-9
vs La-Monroe - WIN 23-21
at Western Michigan - LOSS 49-31
at Arkansas State - LOSS 27-26

GS Total Offense: 439.4 ypg (45th in the nation)...5.80 ypp (62nd)
GT Total Defense: 353.2 ypg (36th)...5.68 (77th)

GT Total Offense: 341.5 ypg (114th)...5.63 (74th)
GS Total Defense: 349.6 ypg (33rd)...5.48 (62nd)

Hmmm...this is pointless. GSU has played only 1 quality team and lost by 18.

Western Michigan scored 49, put up 407 yards of total offense, 6.4 yards per play, and 3.7 yards per rush.

Ga Southern is 6th in the nation in rushing yards per game at 286.6. They put up 202 at WMU. They are 2nd only to Army in rushing attempts per game at 59.6.

Looks like 2 teams who will run the ball almost exclusively similar to the game this past weekend. Could be a quick game.

I haven't seen a point spread yet (should be any minute now), but guessing we will open around 14-15 pt favorites.

Interesting. I can't open that link due to firewall, but surprised anybody has released it yet because almost no lines have been posted at the major books. Only a few out that I can see.

Thanks.

that's a big move quick. could be they were using a minor book to test the line.

Georgia Southern fans will show up for the game. Should be another big North End Zone crowd.

Interesting. I can't open that link due to firewall, but surprised anybody has released it yet because almost no lines have been posted at the major books. Only a few out that I can see.

Thanks.
does this help ?
VI CONSENSUS LINE MOVEMENTS
Money Line Spread Total 1st Half 2nd Half
Date Time Fav Dog Fav Dog Over Under Fav Dog Fav Dog
10/09 3:50pm GATECH-6.5 -115 GEOSTH+6.5 -105
10/09 3:55pm GATECH-8 -120 GEOSTH+8 +100
10/09 4:05pm GATECH-9 -110 GEOSTH+9 -110
10/09 4:35pm GATECH-9 -115 GEOSTH+9 -105
10/09 4:55pm GATECH-9.5 -110 GEOSTH+9.5 -110
10/09 5:00pm GATECH-9.5 -105 GEOSTH+9.5 -115
10/09 6:40pm GATECH-11 -110 GEOSTH+11 -110
10/09 10:05pm GATECH-10.5 -110 GEOSTH+10.5 -110
10/10 8:35am GATECH-400 GEOSTH+325 GATECH-10.5 -110 GEOSTH+10.5 -110
10/10 10:15am GATECH-405 GEOSTH+325 GATECH-10 -110 GEOSTH+10 -110
10/10 11:15am GATECH-405 GEOSTH+325 GATECH-10 -115 GEOSTH+10 -105
10/10 11:20am GATECH-405 GEOSTH+325 GATECH-10.5 -110 GEOSTH+10.5 -110

I hope it's under -14 when my book(s) offer it up because if so, I'm jumping all over the Jackets to cover that.

Side note, this week's AP rankings were just released. The ACC is getting strong respect.

#3 Clemson...#7 Louisville...#14 Florida State...#16 Miami...#17 Virginia Tech

5 of the top 17 from the ACC.

Bovada has it at 10.5 and -105.

Awesome!! I don't normally jump on lines this early in the week, but I will jump on that one later today for certain. That line is way off, IMO. Should be closer to 17-20, though I think Tech wins this one by 24+.

Nice!

I jumped on it immediately. Not sure what I'm missing on this one. This version of Southern isn't much IMO.

Side note, this week's AP rankings were just released. The ACC is getting strong respect.

#3 Clemson...#7 Louisville...#14 Florida State...#16 Miami...#17 Virginia Tech

5 of the top 17 from the ACC.
Good to see and I know FSU beat Miami but still think 14 is too high for FSU with their D.

I think the Noles are getting respect because their schedule is ranked #2 in the nation only behind Stanford. They have played #12 Ole Miss, #7 Louisville, #16 Miami, and a ranked-at-the-time Cheaters team who beat them at the buzzer on a FG (though the Cheaters did lead them much of the game). A dominant win at a South Florida team who is just outside the top 25 looking in is pretty good as well.

Agree on their defense...though they held down Spray Tan Boy's bunch fairly well...but, that was to be expected as that game is normally about head knockin' and defense.

I think the Noles are getting respect because their schedule is ranked #2 in the nation only behind Stanford. They have played #12 Ole Miss, #7 Louisville, #16 Miami, and a ranked-at-the-time Cheaters team who beat them at the buzzer on a FG (though the Cheaters did lead them much of the game). A dominant win at a South Florida team who is just outside the top 25 looking in is pretty good as well.

Agree on their defense...though they held down Spray Tan Boy's bunch fairly well...but, that was to be expected as that game is normally about head knockin' and defense.
Ok did not know their schedule was that bad. Understand now. ;)

Got in yesterday at -10 for $100. I think Vegas sees it as a low possession game which is why the line is so low. I think we win by 17 at least. With to option teams, a 17 point W is more like 27 points.

GS Total Offense: 439.4 ypg (45th in the nation)...5.80 ypp (62nd)
GT Total Defense: 353.2 ypg (36th)...5.68 (77th)

GT Total Offense: 341.5 ypg (114th)...5.63 (74th)
GS Total Defense: 349.6 ypg (33rd)...5.48 (62nd)

I was looking at those offensive numbers for GA Tech last night. Ranked #114 in total offense. Wow. That is amazing. Then again, Pitt (#10), BC (#16), Miami (#28) and Clemson (#34) are all showing good run D's so far this year. We absolutely have to consider the competition that we've been playing and how that affects our run-oriented offense. Still, we're #26 in rushing offense this season so far. We've lost two games, one where we gave up two defensive TD's that was the final score margin, and another in which we had the lead late in the 4th quarter. We're starting to go against the more lightweight defenses on our schedule now (UNC and UVA especially) but we still have VPI (#17) and UGA (#25) to play. Somehow Dook (#30) and GSU (#32) are on the first page. Both of those likely reflect the lack of quality of their schedules to date.

GSU is going through the coaching change transition and it has been tougher than most expected.

They are still running some option plays but are more run/pass option now.

I'm not either. The 2016 edition of Georgia Southern football is not very good, and that is perfectly understandable. I think we will get a chance to see Matthew Jordan taking significant snaps in the latter stages of this one. I would be surprised (and a little disappointed in the staff) if Taquon Marshall takes any snaps in this game because that would kill the possibility of him getting medical shirt for this season.

Is Marshall hurt? He is a true Soph., so he doesn't need to use the medical redshirt unless he has to, correct? Thus giving him a potential 6th year if needed, should he get hurt in the future.

Unless the rule changed you can have a regular shirt(to get stronger, or adjusted to college, etc.), if you play in less than 30% of the games and don't play after game 4?

Is Marshall hurt? He is a true Soph., so he doesn't need to use the medical redshirt unless he has to, correct? Thus giving him a potential 6th year if needed, should he get hurt in the future.

Unless the rule changed you can have a regular shirt(to get stronger, or adjusted to college, etc.), if you play in less than 30% of the games and don't play after game 4?

It's just a question of keeping your options open at this stage in the season. If it makes strategic sense for him to take the shirt this year, there are endless possibilities to meet the threshold for a medical. If he plays, that option is gone.

At first I was hoping Butker would be playing QB late in the game, but I figured that would be a little sadistic since his leg is probably completely worn out due to all those XP's and kickoffs. So, I now am hoping Shamire Devine is playing QB early 4Q. He probably could use the reps. But, I'll let you guys tell him that. That is, if you can find him. He blocks out the sun.

When Devine walks down YJA during the first four games with hot afternoon sunshine, it feels devine as he passes by. Like sitting under an old oak tree with a lemonade.

Like you said, we will let Stech81 tell him that since he is ahead of us in forecasting these ten games each week. The smartest one should have to figure out this "huge" obstacle!

A bit of a gut feel I admit, but I think this Tech team is ready to head out and just lay down some serious smack on an inferior opponent. Go into an off week having beaten the crap out of somebody...anybody. GSU just happens to be in the way at the moment.

I have the same feeling and went way above my normal limits on -10.5. Everything I'm hearing says that this young group on offense is fully bought-in and working extra hard to fix the problems and execute their assignments. Southern is in a bad spot here.

A 180 feeling for me walking away from first game I've seen in person for the season from a year ago. As I posted after South Bend a year ago - and you may recall - I was very down and stated emphatically that there is something terribly wrong with this team in general, but especially our offense. I was not optimistic at all the following week heading south to Durham that early Saturday morning...and, I got about what I expected. The rain that day was kind of fitting. But, I digress.

This year, this time, I feel completely different. I am not going out on a limb and predicting we'll go 5-1 over our last 6 games, but I feel much better about things than a year ago. I never thought we'd sink to 3-9. But, I believe I posted after the ND game that a losing record and ending the postseason streak was a definite possibility. I hope I won't eat these words, but while I think 6-6 is most likely this season, I think we lean far heavier at going 7-5 than 5-7.

The team really needs to go out and just perform a woodshed beating this Saturday and then go into the off week to heal up before executing some revenge the next 2 weeks against teams who have beaten us 2 straight. Ga Southern almost beat us 2 years ago. But, I haven't forgotten the big lead we built at the half either. This time around I don't think we relinquish that lead if we (knock on wood) build something similar. I don't think either team is nearly as good as they or we were 2 seasons ago. Truthfully, not even close (for either).

I remember well your pessimism after that game in South Bend - and it gave me pause. At the same time, it was surreal to see how terrible we had suddenly become at blocking - especially on the perimeter. My thinking then was that these were easily correctable problems. They were not.

The biggest reaction I had during the Pitt game was when JJ Green destroyed the corner on Clinton's touchdown. The dogs in my doublewide were cowering in fear as soon as that block was made - well before Lynch ran into the endzone. That's the sort of block that strikes fear into the heart of an opposing defensive coordinator - and his troops. This offense works best when our A-backs are nasty mother eff-ers on the edge. We are starting to see that trait re-emerge on offense, and that bodes well.

Our fine, loving, beagle friend, Ginger has an answer for the dogs being afraid of the shouting going on during a TD run....please expand to a triplewide. It's the newest craze. I'm looking into expanding, so BFL, Jr. can spread out with his picks. Man has to have his priorities in order.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT