ADVERTISEMENT

Duke@GT...Oct. 29

Agree on how pitiful our D was. No excuses for that performance. Duke's offense is nothing special. Our next 2 opponent's have special offenses. I wonder how many D-Coord's CPJ is going to have to go through before he "fixes it".

29 years later, to the Dukes I'd like to say...

...WELCOME BACK TO THE BASEMENT, DUKIES!

JT5 had 471 yds of total offense and was just short of the school record (George Gutsy at Virginia, 2001). But, he took 12 yards of losses intentionally to run out clock at the end. Maybe he'll get it next Saturday at Chapel Hell. Unlikely, but possible. Cheaters' defense is as vulnerable as ours is.

Agree on how pitiful our D was. No excuses for that performance. Duke's offense is nothing special. Our next 2 opponent's have special offenses. I wonder how many D-Coord's CPJ is going to have to go through before he "fixes it".
Not sure it will be Roof who is the one coaching the LB's ?

“I have no idea what’s the problem (on defense). I’ll find out tomorrow.” — Johnson

Please do.

Hopeful JJ Green is OK. He took quite a lick. Real physical game. We must have had at least 5 or 6 stops in action just to get our guys off the field. We really missed Mills today. Especially on 1st & goal inside the 2. Hope he gets better and cleared for Chapel Hell. We need him.

“I have no idea what’s the problem (on defense). I’ll find out tomorrow.” — Johnson

Please do.
Don't think I would want to be the one who has to answer him. He was really pissed off using 2 timeouts for the defense not see a WR them theirselves

Don't think I would want to be the one who has to answer him. He was really pissed off using 2 timeouts for the defense not see a WR them theirselves

Agree. I pretty much expected Pitt to score on us. They've done it on everybody this year - including the Hokies 2 nights ago. 14 of the 35 we gave up to Miami was on our offense. 1 TD today was on a 1-play drive by Duke that started inside our 15 thanks to a KO return fumble. Still, no excuses for today's pathetic defense. Worst performance all season...and, by far IMO. Mainly because Duke's offense is not very good. Don't you know the Cheaters & Hokies offensive players are drooling when watching our D today.

You made my day by saying this game was like the GA Southern game in 2014. Now if Fla can help :)

Last edited:
Homecoming notes:
-------------------------------

-The Jungle, seemed to be the theme on decorating. I.E.: The Jungle Book, King of the Jungle, etc.
-Battle of the Bands. For the first time in the last few years, we had one. Both roaming bands Duke-d it out between the library and campinele, prior to the game. Alumni Band stayed seated down by the fountain. BFL, Jr. ran out in the grass participating, playing the kuzzoo.
-The Dukies were pretty tame, silent, other than the run we gave them so easily in scoring. No band for them.

After the game as the last player on the field, he ran up and down the line in the North End Zone giving high fives to many students. He turned facing the West Stands, waving and blowing kisses to everyone left as if to thank the remainder of the almost 44k, for cheering loudly at the conclusion.

Watching the ATL. Falcons defense reminds me of the sad Duke defense and what GT was presenting in the four straight second half possessions of paper machae. This was the first game we held the opponent on their first two possessions to start a game. I thought we were coming to play. We do have a scout team offense with a TE in it, correct?

Realizing the offense played an inferior Duke defense, the 38 didn't overly impress. Check out JT5 running for his life, before Coach West was in their faces on the sideline many times for a reminder. Our play caller has a huge ego(right, you already were aware of it!). When Matt Jordan came in the game, I spoke loud enough for a guy two rows down to ask me how I knew what was coming? Duh, first two plays are going to be QB delay over RT(which is RG in our formation/sets). Then an illegal procedure penalty, insert JT5 back in. I called a QB draw as usual. Yes, I can be obnoxious talking out loud, except movies or plays or concerts or church fart smells. The guy said "be quiet, they might have a spy reading your lips with binoculars". The man near him stated, if he knows how predictable this is, Cutcliffe and the DC must know us. I said, correct, because they keep stopping it and beat us twice with inferior talent.

Did Will Bryan start at RG over Devine yesterday? I think he did. Anybody know?

We were definitely blocking their D-line at pad level with them playing so far off the LOS. Kudos to which one of GTJT or stech made that suggestion to the man in charge last week!

We have a Jimmy's and Joe's issue on D in that we don't have even one guy on this team that CTR can trust in man coverage. I remember all too well when we drew to within a TD of Miami and CTR rolled out a cover 1 for all four plays of their TD drive (and the first play was a stuffed run because Kaaya didn't read it). Strategically it was exactly the right thing to do at that point in the game, but we simply don't have the athletes to execute it.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that I am not sure are true. So I'll ask this question here.

Was Coach Johnson outcoached on Saturday?

I've seen some comments elsewhere that I am not sure are true. So I'll ask this question here.

Was Coach Johnson outcoached on Saturday?

Head Coach Paul Johnson was not out-coached. We won the game.

Offensive Coordinator Paul Johnson was not out-coached. Our offense put up 38 points and 605 yards of offense.

Defensive Coordinator Ted Roof? Different story. While the D gave up over 300 yards of offense in the first half, that poor performance was masked due to 2 forced turnovers (D deserves credit for that though) and 2 4th down stops. The 2nd half, we did not make the normal good adjustments that we've seen this season and Duke turned those dominant yards into points.

The D is taking a beating this week by Tech fans and rightfully so. However, it is the first and only terrible outing of the season when you dissect it properly. We gave up a lot of yards (407) and points (37) to Pitt. But, Pitt does that to everybody. Even the Hokies and Bud Foster. What made Duke "terrible" is that their offense is not good. That is what is so alarming.

The D gave up 21 pts to Miami, 24 to Clemson (throwing out the fluke safety) - while allowing 1 TD to Miami in the 2nd half and only a FG to Clemson in the 2nd half. Back in Week 4 before we played Clemson, I warned that the REALLY GOOD offenses are still on the horizon at that time. I specifically mentioned Pitt, the Cheaters, and Hokies. Never mentioned Duke because their offense stinks. Because of that, it is BY FAR the worst defensive performance of the season by Tech and yes, CTR got out-coached. Play that same way this week and the Cheaters will put up 50+ and it will be repeated in Blacksburg. Truthfully, the D could play really good games these next 2 weekends and still give up 28+ pts. That's how potent these next 2 offenses are or can be.

If folks want to bash our D because of the performance this past Saturday, go at it. It is warranted. However, extrapolating that out to characterize the entire season is just wrong. Our D hasn't played *THAT* bad. We've won the games we were supposed to win. We've lost the games we were supposed to lose. If this continues, we will lose the next 2 and win vs Virginia. The last game is a toss-up. Hopefully, our D can hold the Dwags to 13 pts again. If so, I like our chances.

That was a poor Duke defense, meaning CPJ the OC, isn't going to make me envious of his offense over the Devils employing a TE in theirs. Not saying he got out coached or we didn't win the game. JT was definitely a difference maker. The pass blocking looked better, their defense helped our running game.

Not to deflect from our poor defensive performance, however we did fumble inside our territory with a 28-7 lead. Fumbled a KO inside our own 20, and had three KOR inside our own 15-to guarantee bad field position.

Last edited:
I know some are questioning the decision to bring in Jordan 1st and goal. But it was the false start that killed that touchdown. Then the QB draw call on 3rd down with Thomas. I think a TD there kills a lot of Duke's spirit. But unlike others I don't fault the coaching calls there.

I do wonder why Duke continued to have success throwing to the TE on 3rd down. I heard them mention several times that GT coaches told the defense that Duke would go to the TE in that situation. So why wasn't that player covered better?

The latter-Not to defend the defense, however if the safeties blitz...the TE needs to be picked up by an OLB or someone. My gripe is not getting any pressure with four or disguised stunts to at least flush out the opposing QB.

The former-Jordan should come in, except give him another alternative other than QB delay over RG. The guy who jumped is a true freshman on the other side of those play calls. Maybe he should have been taken out for Big Shamire to come in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT