ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson@G.T.

Absolutely pathetic. Hopefully Paul Johnson will quit running his pie hole during the offseason about his record against Clemson. It's evident and then some that he has no adjustments or solutions with HIS offense.

Horrible. Just horrible. The D hasn't done much either. Clemson may run 100 plays.

This has to be a school record for the lowest offensive production in a half of football, no? 23 yards? Surreal.

Thank Buddha for that last 15 yard run to end the half.

Welcome back home, Todd Stansbury. WHITE FLAG

Usually, head-to-head NFL viewing beats the ever living crap out of CFB. Perhaps as much as 5-to-1. A lot of folks were already planning to turn the channel once the Texans-Pats game kicked off. I imagine very few are going to tune into this Tech game in the 2nd half. Maybe a good thing.

Yikes.

:eek:

Last time Tech lost a home game by more than 7 pts, we have to go back to 2012 (BYU 41-17).

They are blitzing DB's off the edge in every single passing situation and we have nothing to counter it. CPJ is getting his butt handed to him by Brent Venables tonight.

I'm with you, Texwood. We're better with the true freshmen OL's in the game.

We've tightened our splits and we're running called stuff with drive blocking. Nice adjustment - too little too late?

Yep. Where was all this counter stuff in the first half?

Great individual effort there by Mills. I don't play fantasy college FB. Only NFL. But, if I did, I think I'd have Mills as one of my RB's. He's going to score a bunch of TD's. Always falling forward. Quite the weapon inside the 5 yd line.

I'd love to see us go back to the screen pass to Marshall. Only reason it flopped in the 1st half was because he slipped. He had big gain written all over it. Anything to counter their pursuit. No reverses tonight either. Anything to keep their guys at home and negate Clemson's advantage of flooding everyone to one side of the field.

Easier said than done I realize, but certainly am surprised we didn't see anything to counter what Venables was/is doing. Same thing he did last year, btw.

I think CPJ is stubborn to a fault. When the D-coordinator is committing big numbers to the perimeter, screw the option and have your OL line up ankle-to-ankle and drive them off the line of scrimmage. Let your high ceiling B-back pick his spots behind it. Nice adjustment, but way too late. Way too stubborn.

No matter what happens the rest of the way, I'm tipping my cap to the Tech Defense. They've been on the field for what seems like the entire game. Clemson's offense is one of the best in the nation. Have given up 3 TD's and a fluke safety (off an INT). I'm encouraged by what we're seeing from the D.

Was just about to tip my cap to the defense. They have displayed the heart of a champion - while being hung out to dry all night long.

They've been blitzing DB's off the edge on every single passing down - and JT is still taking a seven step drop with no options in the flat????? Really???????? Are you guys seeing what I'm seeing???? This is freaking SURREAL

Not sure why we haven't just called the QB draw. Not once tonight. Get JT5 out in open field and hope he can juke a dude to find daylight.

Again, one of those plays that even if it isn't ultra successful, it keeps the Clemson D having to be aware of it. Dropping him straight back or even roll out via 7 steps might as well just wrote down failure.

Will be interesting to see if our Offensive Coordinator takes any responsibility for this debacle or if he blames the players.

He will talk only about lack of execution, as always. In most cases I'm in full agreement with what he says on that front. Tonight is a different beast altogether. He did not put his players in position to succeed tonight. He was thoroughly out-coached.

Last edited:
Not sure why we haven't just called the QB draw. Not once tonight. Get JT5 out in open field and hope he can juke a dude to find daylight.

Again, one of those plays that even if it isn't ultra successful, it keeps the Clemson D having to be aware of it. Dropping him straight back or even roll out via 7 steps might as well just wrote down failure.

Dude, Clemson's DTs are eating your interior OL every play. They aren't leaving their rushing lanes either. QB draw would get your QB hurt.

I don't understand why you didn't try some reverses or screen passes. That stuff would have a chance with Clemson's pursuit to the ball.

I had a bad feeling when Brent landed at Clemson that this would happen. Let's all just hope that he takes a head coaching spot during the next hiring cycle. And any faith I had in CPJ's superior intellect for the game is gone.

Last edited:
Clemson was loading 8/9 in the box and daring us to pass and pursuing hard to the ball, stringing the play out. That's the key to shutting us down. Two things killed us:
1. We finally sat an OL who just could not get it done. His FR replacement did admirably.
2. We reverted to very poor blocking on the perimeter. Numerous missed blocks there. Just a very poor performance by the O overall. Very disappointing.

A third bonus observation: Our PR either needs to return a punt or sit down. He just doesn't seem to want to return punts - fair catches everything.

The D tightened up and played well in the 2nd half. As lopsided as the TOP and yardage were, that safety cost us 9 points and the silly halfback pass 3. We gave them 12 points on sheer stupidity. That alone makes it a 14-7 game. Or maybe 17-7 if the kick a FG before half. Our CB running their player OOB on that last drive before half hurt, too. Likely cost us 4-7 points. As crazy as it sounds, that could have been a close game at the end but for three stupid plays by the good guys.

Not sure if this was shown on E$PN....
CPJ had his hands all over Parker Braun, #75. I don't like that method of discipline(or getting his attention)to make a point. Would love to get other opinions on here. What is your take?

A Clemson lady grabbed my son by the wrists as we were leaving(she had to reach back and make an effort to be "spying" him). I told her sorry a_ _ off, in the nicest manner she deserved. He did boo them when their players came out of the locker room, both times. I told her it was clearly directed at the team, he never faced you, your mate or the other Clempsun fans in the Alumni GT West Stands. We put up with their band playing over the Tech Band all night. They were so loud, including their fans, that we could barely hear anything else. It felt like a road game to me! Oh yeah, those drunk fans showing their butts, were also representing the Purple and Orange.

Clemson was loading 8/9 in the box and daring us to pass and pursuing hard to the ball, stringing the play out. That's the key to shutting us down. Two things killed us:
1. We finally sat an OL who just could not get it done. His FR replacement did admirably.
2. We reverted to very poor blocking on the perimeter. Numerous missed blocks there. Just a very poor performance by the O overall. Very disappointing.

A third bonus observation: Our PR either needs to return a punt or sit down. He just doesn't seem to want to return punts - fair catches everything.

The D tightened up and played well in the 2nd half. As lopsided as the TOP and yardage were, that safety cost us 9 points and the silly halfback pass 3. We gave them 12 points on sheer stupidity. That alone makes it a 14-7 game. Or maybe 17-7 if the kick a FG before half. Our CB running their player OOB on that last drive before half hurt, too. Likely cost us 4-7 points. As crazy as it sounds, that could have been a close game at the end but for three stupid plays by the good guys.

Actually, I think the final score was not nearly as indicative as to how dominant and one-sided this game was for Clemson. Even if the fluke safety does not occur, we have the ball around inside our own 5 yard line most likely. Probably closer to the 2 or 1. That could've been a possible safety coming up by our offense the way we were working backwards at the moment. At minimum, it was likely a punt out of our own endzone giving Clemson the ball out at the 35 or 40. They have a great punt returner so who knows what could have happened in that hypothetical. Bottom line, they were likely going to score again no matter what.

Also, after a curious pass attempt for a TD with about 2 minutes to play in the game, I thought HCDS was pretty classy at the end to just run the ball up the middle and not try to add more meaningless points when he could have if he wanted to.

Not sure if this was shown on E$PN....
CPJ had his hands all over Parker Braun, #75. I don't like that method of discipline(or getting his attention)to make a point. Would love to get other opinions on here. What is your take?

A Clemson lady grabbed my son by the wrists as we were leaving(she had to reach back and make an effort to be "spying" him). I told her sorry a_ _ off, in the nicest manner she deserved. He did boo them when their players came out of the locker room, both times. I told her it was clearly directed at the team, he never faced you, your mate or the other Clempsun fans in the Alumni GT West Stands. We put up with their band playing over the Tech Band all night. They were so loud, including their fans, that we could barely hear anything else. It felt like a road game to me! Oh yeah, those drunk fans showing their butts, were also representing the Purple and Orange.

Came in yesterday, made a statement on the many 3* DL y'all had and told you guys our DL was loaded with 4-5 stars, and all I got was a sarcastic remark. The losing streak at GT is over for us. BV knows how to defend the triple option.

Have to call BS on ANY Clemson lady grabbing a little boy by the wrists or "those drunk fans showing their butts". Was your son one of those drunk GT students that spelled out REDNECK SCHOOL? I said Clemson wasn't BC or Vandy. Maybe next time, y'all will want to actually discuss football instead of being sarcastic.

For the life of me, I do NOT understand why Tech fans and especially the GT brass wants a 8+2 scheduling model. Clemson is here to stay. Unless Saban leaves Bama some time soon and the Tide come calling for Dabo - and even then, I'm not sure he's leaving Clemson - the Tigers have staying power. We have to face them every year. Nobody else in the Coastal has to. With a 9+1 scheduling model, it would force the rest of the Coastal to have to face the Tigers more frequently. Level the playing field just a bit for our case. And, for the Noles who have to face FSU every year as well. Maybe now, for Virginia too who has to face Louisville. Though, I am not convinced yet UofL has staying power to the levels the Tigers and Noles do.

Came in yesterday, made a statement on the many 3* DL y'all had and told you guys our DL was loaded with 4-5 stars, and all I got was a sarcastic remark. The losing streak at GT is over for us. BV knows how to defend the triple option.

Have to call BS on ANY Clemson lady grabbing a little boy by the wrists or "those drunk fans showing their butts". Was your son one of those drunk GT students that spelled out REDNECK SCHOOL? I said Clemson wasn't BC or Vandy. Maybe next time, y'all will want to actually discuss football instead of being sarcastic.

You got a sarcastic reply because you were being a classless troll, just like you are now. Congrats on the win, btw.

I have run into classless fans of all schools. Tech included. They are embarrassing. The ones that disgust me the most are those who run over to other schools' message boards and boast with arrogance.
Not that it matters, but I was initially thinking I'd root for Clemson against Louisville next week. You know, the old guard ACC showing a thing or two to the upstart newbie. You can make my decision easy to root for the Cards if you are going to hang around with your condescending tone.

And btw, you know absolutely NOTHING about Buzzforlife's son or what happened. And, you are extremely naive if you think Clemson fans are sweet, innocent and above being dumb. I think the GT students that spelled out REDNECK SCHOOL were cheesy. Just like the White Out is cheesy. Only made the orange more obvious in the stadium. But, those are my views and are not shared by the majority of Tech fans who like that copycat stuff I guess.

Learn how to win...with class.

Glad I hit ignore early this morning, so I can't see what that/those troll/trolls said about my son.

We park up on Peachtree St. What I've witnessed up there in each of their last three visits is not even worth mentioning. Last night, only two drunks. It probably started years and years ago before we joined the conference and they brought all of those two dollar bills to the Varsity to make some point of how they affect our economy here. Correct, they do keep the horses for carriages and cops, on their toes. Cruelty to animals.

Looking over on Scout this morning, you can read about those right under CPJ's suite(and how sweet they were to those surroundings). Animals, and those are the ones with the brains, not the riders!

Actually, I think the final score was not nearly as indicative as to how dominant and one-sided this game was for Clemson. Even if the fluke safety does not occur, we have the ball around inside our own 5 yard line most likely. Probably closer to the 2 or 1. That could've been a possible safety coming up by our offense the way we were working backwards at the moment. At minimum, it was likely a punt out of our own endzone giving Clemson the ball out at the 35 or 40. They have a great punt returner so who knows what could have happened in that hypothetical. Bottom line, they were likely going to score again no matter what.

Also, after a curious pass attempt for a TD with about 2 minutes to play in the game, I thought HCDS was pretty classy at the end to just run the ball up the middle and not try to add more meaningless points when he could have if he wanted to.

I agree, it was a totally dominant game, yet oddly close in score. I credit our D. Yet no matter how many yards differential there would have been, a one score game with us moving the ball somewhat in the 3rd quarter is a tight game. That was the oddity of it all. I didn't express that well at 1:30 last night.

On the INT. He caught it in the EZ, ran out and then back in and fumbled in the EZ. Safety. If he just kneels in the EZ after the catch, it's a touchback and we have the ball on the 20 with 2:00 left. We run most of that out even if we have to punt. That's 9 points saved and a 14-0 game at half, with them having 326 yards offense and us a 4 yards offense. At that point, after making it 14-7, we don't run the silly halfback pass, having the ball in a one-score game with 7 minutes left. They don't get the short field TD. It was that strange a game.

The game ended with Clemson having put up 442 yards offense and us only 124 yards offense. They put up 116 yards in the 2nd half and we put up 120 yards.

Will be interesting to see if our Offensive Coordinator takes any responsibility for this debacle or if he blames the players.

That was one of the worst called games I've witnessed. We kept running the same stuff when clearly their 8/9 man pursuit was cutting off all lanes. Misdirection would have worked nicely. The freeze option worked well in the 2nd half, as did the counter. None of that was run in the first half. Just the straight dive over and over. This game reminded me of LSU in the Peach in '08.

BTW, the little Clemson Tig here sounds just like a typical UGA troll. Sad, most of them are highly respectful and classy. Finally found an example of a childish twit in the CU fan base. Knew they were there, just never encountered one before. Probably because we've pretty well owned them up until the last 3-4 years. Times will change though soon enough. Dabo will be gone to the Bammers and CU will be back to normal.

I agree, it was a totally dominant game, yet oddly close in score. I credit our D. Yet no matter how many yards differential there would have been, a one score game with us moving the ball somewhat in the 3rd quarter is a tight game. That was the oddity of it all. I didn't express that well at 1:30 last night.

On the INT. He caught it in the EZ, ran out and then back in and fumbled in the EZ. Safety. If he just kneels in the EZ after the catch, it's a touchback and we have the ball on the 20 with 2:00 left. We run most of that out even if we have to punt. That's 9 points saved and a 14-0 game at half, with them having 326 yards offense and us a 4 yards offense. At that point, after making it 14-7, we don't run the silly halfback pass, having the ball in a one-score game with 7 minutes left. They don't get the short field TD. It was that strange a game.

The game ended with Clemson having put up 442 yards offense and us only 124 yards offense. They put up 116 yards in the 2nd half and we put up 120 yards.

Yep. I can't really fault Austin for trying to come out of the endzone with the INT. If the Clemson guy wasn't so close leading to our guys getting in our own way in a totally fluke kind of way (that's the only way to describe it), Austin likely had a lot of room down the Clemson sidelines to run. And, the way our offense was sputtering, that potentially was the best chance at a score or at least getting the ball down the field in better position that we'd seen at that time of the game all night.

In truth, it was a quick decision and none of that was really going through his head at that split second. If he had caught the ball deep in the EZ, he surely would've kneeled. He caught it right at the goal line - maybe a half-yard inside the EZ.

Regardless, I think that was one of the most lopsided 19 pt victories I've seen in a while. Like one of the TV guys said late in the 3Q..."it seems like Clemson is up by 50, but it's only a 3 score game"...truth.

That was one of the worst called games I've witnessed. We kept running the same stuff when clearly their 8/9 man pursuit was cutting off all lanes. Misdirection would have worked nicely. The freeze option worked well in the 2nd half, as did the counter. None of that was run in the first half. Just the straight dive over and over. This game reminded me of LSU in the Peach in '08.

BTW, the little Clemson Tig here sounds just like a typical UGA troll. Sad, most of them are highly respectful and classy. Finally found an example of a childish twit in the CU fan base. Knew they were there, just never encountered one before. Probably because we've pretty well owned them up until the last 3-4 years. Times will change though soon enough. Dabo will be gone to the Bammers and CU will be back to normal.

Make no mistake. ALL schools have their classless fans. We have them too. And, we have these nitwit classless trolls who run around to other message boards poking their chests out too. Because I go to more road games than games at BDS, I see it a lot and am perhaps more sensitive to it. On more than 3 occasions I've had to call out Tech fans and apologize to opposing fans.

We (my family) had very bad experiences at Blacksburg over a decade ago to which we'll never forget and always appreciate the older Hokie fans/alums who came over and apologized to us on behalf of their nitwit fans. Side note, it got so bad that Va Tech developed and executed a program to be more welcoming and to call out bad behavior of fans at parking locales on game day and during games. It has worked. My last few trips there have been significantly better.

The Tech fans on the internet message boards - or any school for that matter - who disgust me the most are these clowns who go to other boards, make Tech look bad, act like a turd, and then (here it comes) come back to their home message board and brag about having been banned at the other schools' board as if it is some kind of trophy or something. What a bunch of dumb A's.

Learn how to win. Learn how to lose.

Yep. I can't really fault Austin for trying to come out of the endzone with the INT. If the Clemson guy wasn't so close leading to our guys getting in our own way in a totally fluke kind of way (that's the only way to describe it), Austin likely had a lot of room down the Clemson sidelines to run. And, the way our offense was sputtering, that potentially was the best chance at a score or at least getting the ball down the field in better position that we'd seen at that time of the game all night.

In truth, it was a quick decision and none of that was really going through his head at that split second. If he had caught the ball deep in the EZ, he surely would've kneeled. He caught it right at the goal line - maybe a half-yard inside the EZ.

Regardless, I think that was one of the most lopsided 19 pt victories I've seen in a while. Like one of the TV guys said late in the 3Q..."it seems like Clemson is up by 50, but it's only a 3 score game"...truth.

Essentially, the "dominance" was all in the first half, and mostly in the first quarter. They had that long, quick TD drive after the safety, but other than their first three drives - TD, missed FG, TD - they didn't do much except that drive after the safety. They put up 174 yards in the first quarter and 70 yards in the 2nd quarter prior to the safety. That's 244 yards. Take out the safety and the subsequent scoring drive of 72 yards, and as I said you have a score of 14-7, with them having 244 yards, most all coming on their first 3 drives in the 1st quarter.

After the 1st quarter, it was a defensive game, and w/o the safety would have been oddly close. They weren't running away with the game. Even with the safety, had we scored on the drive we gave the ball away on the halfback pass, it's a 23-14 game with a few minutes left and we're talking about onside kicks. Just really odd.

And here's my rant about the halfback pass. If you're gonna run it, why in the world let Mills throw that ball? We have a half dozen RB's who were QB's in HS. Mills was a FB/LB in HS. He did the best he could, but he threw it like a LB. Reminded me of the fake punt in the LSU game in '08 when we snapped the ball to DMorg and let him try to run it for a first down. Stupid.

FWIW, a simple quick question SWMBO asked me late last night that I had no answer to...

..."who is Tech's offensive coordinator accountable to?"

Essentially, the "dominance" was all in the first half, and mostly in the first quarter. They had that long, quick TD drive after the safety, but other than their first three drives - TD, missed FG, TD - they didn't do much except that drive after the safety. They put up 174 yards in the first quarter and 70 yards in the 2nd quarter prior to the safety. That's 244 yards. Take out the safety and the subsequent scoring drive of 72 yards, and as I said you have a score of 14-7, with them having 244 yards, most all coming on their first 3 drives in the 1st quarter.

After the 1st quarter, it was a defensive game, and w/o the safety would have been oddly close. They weren't running away with the game. Even with the safety, had we scored on the drive we gave the ball away on the halfback pass, it's a 23-14 game with a few minutes left and we're talking about onside kicks. Just really odd.

And here's my rant about the halfback pass. If you're gonna run it, why in the world let Mills throw that ball? We have a half dozen RB's who were QB's in HS. Mills was a FB/LB in HS. He did the best he could, but he threw it like a LB. Reminded me of the fake punt in the LSU game in '08 when we snapped the ball to DMorg and let him try to run it for a first down. Stupid.

Well, if we take out the first quarter, and a lot of the 2nd quarter, and we take out all those negative plays by our offense, and we take away the FG in the 2nd half by Clemson, and we take away our INT and bizarre safety, I say we won the game 7-0. There you have it. We shoulda won.

:p ;););););) :D

Well, if we take out the first quarter, and a lot of the 2nd quarter, and we take out all those negative plays by our offense, and we take away the FG in the 2nd half by Clemson, and we take away our INT and bizarre safety, I say we won the game 7-0. There you have it. We shoulda won.

:p ;););););) :D

Haha. You know that's not my point. The safety was a freak play, that gave them points and the ball when they should not have had them. To their credit they did something with it. But they never should have had it. That's my point. We run the clock out and go to the locker room in a 14-0 game. They dominated the 1st quarter. After that, except for the freak play, defensive struggle.

Tech gave Clemson a lot of points with the turnovers. Should we count the last TD of the first half as part of the turnover?

Overwhelmed in the first half, not prepared. . much better second half.

Although I think some of that was Clemson being more conservative in their approach to the game.

Tech gave Clemson a lot of points with the turnovers. Should we count the last TD of the first half as part of the turnover?

Overwhelmed in the first half, not prepared. . much better second half.

Although I think some of that was Clemson being more conservative in their approach to the game.

I agree somewhat, they were a bit more conservative, but Watson was still throwing the ball a lot. They only had about 130 yards rushing on the night. Not like they were running it upon the middle every time. Our blitzing affected Watson, it seemed to me.

Haha. You know that's not my point. The safety was a freak play, that gave them points and the ball when they should not have had them. To their credit they did something with it. But they never should have had it. That's my point. We run the clock out and go to the locker room in a 14-0 game. They dominated the 1st quarter. After that, except for the freak play, defensive struggle.

Understood. Hence, my smileys. I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Postgame Leave Out game. That is, every game has at least a half dozen plays or decisions that could go either way to either marginalize an ass beating by the defeated fans or explain away why a dominant winning fanbase didn't win by a larger margin.

IOW, I'm sure there is some Clemson fan on some message board today doing the game of "well, if we hadn't thrown the INT, we are up 21-0 and the rout is on" or reminding all if Dabo had not taken his foot off the pedal at the end they likely score again. And so forth.

(edit note: in fact, here's one playing the same Leave Out thing... http://www.todaysu.com/acc/clemson-...ed-that-clemson-is-way-ahead-of-georgia-tech/)

The fact remains to use CPJ's own infamous words...it is what it is. We were dominated. The entire game. Not just the 1st quarter. I haven't seen the graphic thrown up of our last shutout loss at home (1957) until last night. That's how dominant it was. There was never any doubt as to who was going to win.

Side note, going back to last year, against our last 4 legit opponents we've played at home (FSU, Va Tech, Georgia and Clemson), our offense has scored a total 5 touchdowns. That's 16 quarters, my friends.

1 TD against Va Tech was a Mitchell pick-6. And, of course, against FSU was the FG block and return for score. Our offense scored 2 TD's against the Hokies and 1 each against the other 3.

Wake up call. This isn't a "one game thing".

Last edited:
Just going by what I saw on TV, but sure looked like a lot of orange inside BDS last night. I was suprised to see empty seats in the upper north. Figured at least that there would be orange filled there. I know it was a weeknight game and all. Looked like a LOT of orange - or at least far more than I expected - in the lower northeast (read: old student section when I was at Ma Tech).

Miami normally doesn't bring many fans. Will be interesting to see what BDS looks like for the nooner next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT