ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson@G.T.

TGIF, mates! Today is really Friday.

I think in honor of that now-retired legend, stech81, who is working more now that he is retired and has a honey-do list 622 miles long for his many wives, I will go celebrate TGIF by laying some cable in the men's bathroom on company time for about 45 minutes. Might even steal some toilet paper to take home as a memento to remind me of this place over the weekend, which starts in a few hours.

Welcome to the weekend, maties!

(and note to stech81...get to work...Momma, Momma, Momma, Momma, Momma, and Momma all need new diamond rings...or, some other annoying home maintenance thing you used to be able to get out of)

:D

Is that an engineering trait, laying cable lines?
Noticed you referenced 6 "momma's"; Do you think he takes a day off? Tech football?

Kittens going down tomorrow night. Why? We're playing in BDS, where the orange clad furries have only won 3x since 1990, the latest being now 13 years go. It's what we do. This game will vault the Jackets back onto the national scene as a conference contender. Unfortunately, it appears that the 'Ville is having a once in a lifetime dream season, so it may be back to the Orange Bowl for us. Shame.

BTW, one of the semis of the CFP is the Peach Bowl this year. Looks like we get one of the Citrus or Taxslayer (formerly Gator) as compensatory game. If the ACCCG relocates to Jax or O-town, how might this affect the attendance? Thoughts?

Personally, I'm up for playing the game at the stadium of the higher ranked team.

Last edited:
Is that an engineering trait, laying cable lines?
Noticed you referenced 6 "momma's"; Do you think he takes a day off? Tech football?

Even Bigamists get a day off I believe. Definitely not for sobering up. Not in his DNA. You're probably right. Tech Football. Or, underwater basket weaving...which, I still maintain gets a bad rap. Sounds hard as hell. But, I digress.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Lunch Bunch recap by Legal Bees(thank you, Hive brethren!)-

Sean Bedford(ACC ring still on finger), here it is:

I'll give it a shot. The usual caveat applies: this is from memory and in no particular order, so others please correct or add as needed.
- I think SB is a great representative of the Institute. He is smart, personable, and eloquent.
- Told story about another lawyer with close FSU ties who meet several players (like JT) when they interned at a nearby company over the summer. Said he was now a Tech fan for life and had never meet more intelligent, professional, polite athletes.
- Vandy game was truest representation so far of what this team is capable of. Believes travel was big part of BC AND Mercer since we were still trying to get our legs back from the long travel. Many of our players had never been on a plane before.
- Last years team was most snake bit and unlucky team he has ever heard of. If it could go wrong, it did, but they never gave up.
- Talked about transition from Gailey to Johnson. Gailey had Pro coach/CEO mind set. Gailey gave direction and left it to the players to follow though with little supervision or guidance. Tended to make decisions early about which players would play regardless of how they performed. SB did not say this, but it sounded like Gailey had his favorites. Johnson came in, cleaned house, and turned into true meritocracy with starting/playing time determined by performance. Johnson much more involved, hands on, and looking over everybody's shoulders.
- CPJ is more human version of what we see. Has great sense of humor and really cares about his players, but is not very cuddly.
- Talked about having to gain weight to make team. SB started as a walk on defensive end. Gailey told him he needed to move to defensive tackle and go from 240 to 270 over the summer to be asked back to camp. SB started summer with tonsillitis and lost weight to 220. Ate 10,000 calories a day and worked out twice a day over the rest of the summer to make made weight. When Johnson arrived, told him he needed to move to center and gain more weight. Topped out at over 280, but always lost weight as season progressed season because he simply could not eat enough to maintain weight. Typically went into UGA game about 260.
- Short week more about physically recovering from last game than preparing for next.
- O line last year was biggest issue. Coaches kept simplifying, but they just could not do the simplest thing. Overloaded one side and still could not stop D on that side. Mainly due to injuries, lack of experience, and lack of working with the same people every week. My favorite quote was CJP told him last year that one lineman "goes 100mph. He does not know where he is going, but he goes there 100 mph."
- Current O line much better due to experience and cohesiveness. Also thanks second O line coach this season has made a difference.
- Believes current D line will have several go on to NFL. Still young and learning, but best group since probably 2008. Have had good players recently, but not group like this one is capable of.
- Lost a lot in D backfield, but again, lots of young talent. When CPJ praises Gray, it is for a reason and we should listen. Have not seen much from him in games yet because opponents have purposely avoided him. Clemson will not avoid him and he will be a key to the game.
- Mills not only has speed and talent, has that "nastiness factor" that cannot be taught. He loves contact and punishing the defense.
- Likes depth and talent of backs.
- Believes Ricky Jeune will be next in line of big time receiver from GT in pros. Stewart growing into his role.
- Always thought VT was best coached team we played. Usually average players very similar to GT, but perfect technique and never quit.
- O line passive in most offensives. Wait for D and react. In our offense, O line is aggressor and attacks defense. Most teams have had enough by half time and hate playing us. Not as much trash talk as expected because D usually so tired.
- Center has flow chart in head based on how D lines up. Depending on formation, each O lineman has a specific assignment. D shifts not a big factor since each O lineman has rules to follow based on changes.
- Better pass protection allowing pass game to open up, which helps running game. Last year, teams loaded the box to stop the run and dared us to beat them with the pass. When passing works, they cannot do that.
- Time of possession and turn overs key against Clemson. Their O is too explosive, so best way to defeat is keep them off the field. More time we have ball, less ability for Clemson to score.
- Rules to protect long snapper do not seem to apply when we play in Athens.

It would be nice to see the Jackets win one of these Thursday night games against a P5 team again.

GO JACKETS!

Nothing like some good old bravado from Clemson folks... http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2016/9/22/12963230/film-preview-georgia-tech-defense

Hmmmm...

There’s no way to sugarcoat the lack of talent on this (Tech's) defense; that the most promising unit is a brand new secondary should tell you all you need to know. The defensive line is undersized and lead-footed, there is a startling athletic deficiency at Mike linebacker, and the relatively promising defensive backs find their efforts undone thanks to soft zone coverage and a weak pass rush.

I guess we don't stand a chance tonight. Just like the last 5 times they've come to Atlanta.

Nothing like some good old bravado from Clemson folks... http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2016/9/22/12963230/film-preview-georgia-tech-defense

Hmmmm...

There’s no way to sugarcoat the lack of talent on this (Tech's) defense; that the most promising unit is a brand new secondary should tell you all you need to know. The defensive line is undersized and lead-footed, there is a startling athletic deficiency at Mike linebacker, and the relatively promising defensive backs find their efforts undone thanks to soft zone coverage and a weak pass rush.

I guess we don't stand a chance tonight. Just like the last 5 times they've come to Atlanta

Interesting. I thought our DL to be a pretty talented bunch, personally. They are a bit on the light side, though, Adams excepted. Here's the group for Rivals' perspective:

Kallon 4*
Gamble 3*
Simmons 3*
Merriweather 3*
Freeman 3*
St. Armour 3*
Glanton 3*
Cerge-Henderson 3*
Adams 3*

Looks pretty solid to me.

For a less biased and more humorous analysis, here is Lauren Brownlow's gif blog on this week's ACC games.

LINK

Guys, that's an awful lot of 3* on your defensive line when practically everyone on our 2 deep defensive line are 4 and 5*. BDS has indeed been a jinx over the years. That streak might have been broken two years ago had DW not gotten hurt and Stoudt brought early Christmas with his two pick 6's. We ain't Vandy or BC, that's for sure.

Guys, that's an awful lot of 3* on your defensive line when practically everyone on our 2 deep defensive line are 4 and 5*. BDS has indeed been a jinx over the years. That streak might have been broken two years ago had DW not gotten hurt and Stoudt brought early Christmas with his two pick 6's. We ain't Vandy or BC, that's for sure.

Yeah, we probably don't stand a chance. We got lucky 2 years ago. And then 3 years before that. And then 2 years before that. And then 2 years before that. And then 2 years before that. Just luck. That's all. Our luck will probably run out. We were just lucky against Vandy and BC too. Clemson by 40 tonight. No way a bunch of 3 stars can hang with a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. Unless we are lucky like those other 5 times when we had 3 stars and the team which is not Vandy or BC for sure had 4 and 5 star guys on their 2 deep defensive line.

Damn. Might as well not even play the freakin' game tonight.

:(

It's why we're doing the white out. White means luck.

There's no talent on our DL... none. Anyone under 4* can't possible be talented.

What they don't know is the REAL talent evaluators have our DL across the board at 9.5 stars. Don't tell the kittens!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT