ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson@G.T.

My associates, Guido & Giuseppe, advise me that we can expect the Kitty Cats to open around a 7 pt favorite.

If you have ESPN Classic and want to feed on some Clemson-GT games from the past this week. Here's a listing (all on ESPN Classic)...

Tuesday 12amET - 2010 GT at Clemson (Clemson won this 27-13)

Tuesday 4am - 2001 Clemson at GT (I think Woody Dantzler is still running)

Wednesday 7am - 2009 ACCCG Game (Jackets win our only ACCCG)

Wednesday 1pm - 2000 GT at Clemson (George Gutsy to Kerry Watkins..."The Catch")

Wednesday 9pm - 2002 GT at Clemson (Hollings goes down and so does Tech in the rain 24-19)

Thursday 5am - 2000 GT at Clemson (so good they had to show it again the next day)

Thursday 7am - 2001 Clemson at GT (and yes, Dantzler is STILL running)

Thursday 9am - 2009 ACCCG Game (trust me, we win this game)

Clemson opens as 9.5 pt favorites. Guido and Giuseppe are surprised it is that high.

I'm not.

Stats du jour...

...Tech is currently #11 in the nation in offense 3rd down conversion percentage at 54.05% (20 of 37). Truly, a good sign to the resurgence of this offense versus a season ago.

Having said that, Clemson's defense is #4 in the nation of 3rd down conversion percentage allowed at 17.78%. They have only allowed 8 of 45 3rd down plays to convert.

Something to watch.

(edit side note...Tech's defense is 103rd in the nation in 3rd down conversion percentage allowing an alarming 44.44% [20 of 45]...that is particularly bad considering BC's offense is awful, we played an out-manned D1AA team, and Vandy's offense isn't much to talk about either)

I've been fearing your side note about our allowing almost a 50% conversion rate on third down. We've been poor in that category for many of CPJ's years, even though a Hiver was quarreling with me in the past over semantics.

Is our deadline for picking, Tuesday at 4 p.m.? If so, Stech81 will need to start drinking a few days ago and BFL, Jr. needs to get over his Strept throat today!

I've been fearing your side note about our allowing almost a 50% conversion rate on third down. We've been poor in that category for many of CPJ's years, even though a Hiver was quarreling with me in the past over semantics.

Is our deadline for picking, Tuesday at 4 p.m.? If so, Stech81 will need to start drinking a few days ago and BFL, Jr. needs to get over his Strept throat today!

Gee, I wonder who that was arguing semantics with you.... Our 3rd down conversion D has been bad ever since CJT left town. There are times to risk, and it appears to me that 3rd downs this week is one of those times. Here's hoping CTR limbers up to call a bunch o' blitz on the Tigs on those 3rd down plays. Bend but don't break D has it's advantages in general, but third and long isn't one of them, IMHO. We've got to stop drives when we have the chance.

Any advice to someone who is coming to watch this game in terms of parking/getting to the stadium from downtown Atlanta? I'll be staying at the Hyatt downtown. Is it a doable walk? Or should I drive or should I Uber/Taxi? Thanks!

I'm a Sooner, will just be in town that night and love to go watch college football. I'll be rooting for you guys in this one.

Walk it. Just a mile. Make sure to be packing though. ;)

(just kidding...well, sorta)

Thursday night regular season games against P5 teams in the CPJ era...

2015: LOSS - home vs Va Tech, 23-21
2013: LOSS - home vs Va Tech, 17-10
2013: LOSS - at Clemson, 55-31
2011: LOSS - home vs Va Tech, 37-26
2010: LOSS - at Va Tech, 28-21
2009: LOSS - at Miami, 33-17
2009: WIN - home vs Clemson, 30-27
2008: WIN - home vs Miami, 41-23

Time to break some streaks on Thursday night.

This will be a good game. How will Clemson look on offense? like the first 2 weeks?

If GT's defense can contain the running game, I like Tech's chances.

"Disappointed in some of the plays with the Down Linemen":
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/b/0/3b0...74306464&hwt=197073e5c562f37d7aad385080e26c90

Heard him say on the postgame show last Saturday, that our last offensive series in the red zone was the worst ever in execution that he's experienced in all of his coaching years.
Was this the series with the interception in the endzone? Nothing in that series seemed right. I was uncertain as to why we would throw the ball with Jordan in that situation. Red Zone running game had been working all day...

He said on that series, everyone missed assignments, went the wrong way. Total disaster.
I noticed him pulling the QB's aside and very adamantly giving them a piece of his mind. It must be a leadership issue with CPJ and the signal callers.

Gee, I wonder who that was arguing semantics with you.... Our 3rd down conversion D has been bad ever since CJT left town. There are times to risk, and it appears to me that 3rd downs this week is one of those times. Here's hoping CTR limbers up to call a bunch o' blitz on the Tigs on those 3rd down plays. Bend but don't break D has it's advantages in general, but third and long isn't one of them, IMHO. We've got to stop drives when we have the chance.
Gotta put a spy on Watson. He's the main culprit to their 3rd down success.

Jahaziel Lee is listed in the two-deep this week at right tackle, the week after his shirt was burned. He must be doing some impressive work at practice. Well done young man! Parker Braun is an or with Devine at RG, but Braun outperformed Shamire in the Vandy game, IMHO. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this true freshman get the start against Clemson.

There is no or at B-back this week with Mills getting the nod.

Forgot to mention that Kenny Cooper is also listed in the two-deep as Freddie's backup - so Andrew Marshall's move from center to tackle does indeed look to be permanent. Of course if Freddie goes down this season (Buddha forbid) no doubt that Marshall gets the call. Looks like the staff thinks Kenny Cooper is good enough to be Burden's heir apparent at center next season. The 2016 class seems to have netted some good offensive linemen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT