ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson@G.T.

I was on the 35 in the SE East stands. 50/50 Clemson fans. Very disappointing.

Also, I don't know how a team can be dominated in a half of football when they hold the ball more, put up more yards, and score more. That was us in the 2nd half last night. Clemson dominated the 1st quarter, perhaps the first half, given the way the safety helped them. The rest was a defensive standoff. We outgained them in the 2nd half. That's not domination in my book. But... to each his own.

First Downs: 24-11
Yards Gained: 442-124
3rd Down Conversions: 10 of 18 to 2 of 12

Yes, I'll call that domination.

Tech had 11 legit offensive possessions. By legit, I am throwing out the lone 1 play at the end of the 1st half. That 12 yd gain by Mills, btw, when Clemson set 6 guys back defending the potential hail mary, moved Tech's first half offensive production from 8 total yards to 20.

Of those 11 possessions, 1 ended in a TD. 1 ended in an INT. 1 ended in downs. 8 ended in punts. Of the 9 which ended in punts/downs, 6 were 4 plays or less and out. Only 2 of those 9 saw Tech run more than 6 plays. Complete domination indeed. Game was never in doubt.

442-124. More than a 3:1 ratio. Domination is the only word.

I believe those Upper North seats were 65$. Didn't go to the Box Office and ask.

So right about we have classless fans too.

I never have instructed my boy to boo, it isn't my way. Having said that, he is very passionate about football and usually does not boo unless UGA. He roots for Clemson against all except us. After last night, he told me he will pull for Louisville next week. Before the game started the drunk turds were calling him names because of his white socks, Tech shorts, #5 jersey on his person.

If you have a ticket, I guess you have a right to boo whomever. I heard CPJ getting catcalls last night.

I've asked many GT fans why they don't go to Athens? The most frequent answer is that it is not enjoyable, with an inherent fear of the unknown. Personally, I've been called names, littered with several food and beverage items. Even been in a group dodging beer bottles from their track/bridge in the day.

First Downs: 24-11
Yards Gained: 442-124
3rd Down Conversions: 10 of 18 to 2 of 12

Yes, I'll call that domination.

Tech had 11 legit offensive possessions. By legit, I am throwing out the lone 1 play at the end of the 1st half. That 12 yd gain by Mills, btw, when Clemson set 6 guys back defending the potential hail mary, moved Tech's first half offensive production from 8 total yards to 20.

Of those 11 possessions, 1 ended in a TD. 1 ended in an INT. 1 ended in downs. 8 ended in punts. Of the 9 which ended in punts/downs, 6 were 4 plays or less and out. Only 2 of those 9 saw Tech run more than 6 plays. Complete domination indeed. Game was never in doubt.

442-124. More than a 3:1 ratio. Domination is the only word.

Sure, if you insist on looking at it from a high-level, course-grained view, you see simple domination. However, if you look at it from a more fine-grained level, you see the variations in the game as it progressed. This was what it felt like being there.

If you view more granularity, you we slowed down their scoring after the first quarter, when it was only 14-0 with 2 minutes left in the half, but they continued to drive. Then we suddenly gave them 9 points and a 23-0 lead on one possession at the end of the half, one they shouldn't have even had.

In the 2nd half, Clemson ran the ball 12 times, including the two last plays, and they passed the ball 13 times - for a total of 95 yards (over 6 ypp). They weren't just trying to run out the clock. They threw more than they ran. Our D shut down all those drives. Their second half drives were 3 plays, 4 plays, 4 plays, 4 plays (FG), 7 plays, 5 plays (end of game). They were no more dominant than we were in the 2nd half.

They absolutely dominated the 1st half, where their first three drives were 9 plays (TD), 10 plays (missed FG), and 8 plays (TD). In the 2nd quarter, their last three drives were 12 plays, 5 plays, and 10 plays (TD).

The ebbs and flows were: They dominated for half a game. 300+ yards to 4 yards is total domination. Yes. However, they didn't go conservative in the 2nd half. They were trying to score, but we shut them down as our O showed some signs of life.

This is all I'm saying. To take something positive out of this game, you have to look at it with more granularity, and it's there to see. There were positives.

I never said there weren't positives. I said we were dominated. I've said the defense encouraged me. They played hard. They played well in the 2nd half.

There are always positives to be found. I've coached many an AAU basketball game where we lost 85-12 and struggled to get the ball across halfcourt for much of the game. I found positives in that game here and there. But, it doesn't take away from the fact we were dominated from start to finish. I knew. My players knew it. The refs knew it. The scorekeepers knew it. The tournament directors knew it. The fans knew it. The people working concessions knew it. Apparently, you are the only one that doesn't want to recognize that we got our asses handed to us last night. Dominated!

You can sugar coat it all you want. You can find rays of sunshine all you want. I found some too, FWIW. You can play the Leave Out game as you've done in multiple ways multiple times. The fact remains Clemson absolutely wood-shedded us. You didn't have to be in the stadium. People watching in Hawaii quit watching because they didn't want to watch a one-sided game.

A new low in yards gained by Tech's offense under CPJ... HISTORICALLY BAD!... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/09/23/flats-lines-reviewing-georgia-techs-loss-to-clemson/

(edit note: I forgot about the really bad call the refs made on JT5 lateral that was ruled a forward pass...would've been Clemson's ball on our 6 yard line or so IIRC...thank Buddha for that)

Last edited:
I never said there weren't positives. I said we were dominated. I've said the defense encouraged me. They played hard. They played well in the 2nd half.

There are always positives to be found. I've coached many an AAU basketball game where we lost 85-12 and struggled to get the ball across halfcourt for much of the game. I found positives in that game here and there. But, it doesn't take away from the fact we were dominated from start to finish. I knew. My players knew it. The refs knew it. The scorekeepers knew it. The tournament directors knew it. The fans knew it. The people working concessions knew it. Apparently, you are the only one that doesn't want to recognize that we got our asses handed to us last night. Dominated!

You can sugar coat it all you want. You can find rays of sunshine all you want. I found some too, FWIW. You can play the Leave Out game as you've done in multiple ways multiple times. The fact remains Clemson absolutely wood-shedded us. You didn't have to be in the stadium. People watching in Hawaii quit watching because they didn't want to watch a one-sided game.

A new low in yards gained by Tech's offense under CPJ... HISTORICALLY BAD!... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/09/23/flats-lines-reviewing-georgia-techs-loss-to-clemson/

(edit note: I forgot about the really bad call the refs made on JT5 lateral that was ruled a forward pass...would've been Clemson's ball on our 6 yard line or so IIRC...thank Buddha for that)

I don't disagree at all. Our offensive performance last night was bad - historically bad. No doubt about it. Clemson had a lot to do about it. No sugar coating anything. Still, they were not a dominant team in the second half. That was an even half of football. They did not dominate us on the field from start to finish.

Defensively, overall, we played pretty well, and the O showed signs of life in the 2nd half. I was livid when we tried that stupid halfback pass. We had just completed a LONG drive for a TD and the CU defense was grabbing their hips at the end. I don;t know if you could see how tired they were. We were blowing them off the ball. It was 23-7 and our D forced a 3 and out. We had just gone 89 yards. Their D was right back on the field.

Ram it right back down their throats and make it stick! Go and get the TD/2 point conversion and make it 23-15 - a one score game. I am convinced that we could have done it right then. Their D was worn out and on their heels and mo was definitely on our side. Every CU fan around me was vocally concerned.

Then that stupid play call sealed the loss. They move 10 yards, kick a FG and it's now 26-7 and the game is over.

That's what I'm talking about. Yes, you can throw all sorts of stats that say domination that I cannot refute. They piled up those stats in a dominant 1st half. I will not disagree with you on that. It was bad. But at that point in the 4th quarter, there was a lot of hope. We were not being dominated at that point, regardless of what stats say.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
If any of the leaders in my company made this statement, they would get a phone call from our CEO...

"Very disappointed with our performance, it comes back to me; I’ll take credit for some of it."

What a cop out. A true leader takes credit for ALL of it. It's like when you say something and then use the word "but". "It comes back to me"..."I'll take credit for some of it."

What a bunch of bullschlitz. Piss poor leadership.

You know it was a bad night when one of the few rays of sunshine was your kickoff dude. But, since it hasn't been mentioned so far, kudos to Harrison Butker for the near 80 yard free kick he took from our 20 after the safety. He has a great shot at the NFL I'd think.

I bet the Cesspool wishes badly that they had HB right now. Their kicker suuuuuuuuucks.

GT has bad offensive games against huge athletic d-lines. Orange Bowl - Iowa, Peach Bowl - LSU, Clemson last night. It should not be unexpected. But most offenses would have trouble against those linemen as well.

I was encouraged with the attitudes of the players and the fact that they did make improvements as the night went along. They didn't mail it in like FSU did against Louisville.

Last edited:
CPJ should step up and take the punch to the face. His responsibility for all phases. ALL. And our defense played well against a high-powered offense, particularly when such a poor offensive display puts them in really bad situations. Much better than I expected from the D. I actually thought this game would be a shoot-out, if anything.

I think we are discovering that Vandy and BC's defenses are NOT as good as billed and our offense (this year as last year) is going to get man-handled on the line.

But I have to say I completely EFFED up the pre-game ritual. NO ALCOHOL due to small fry's middle school softball game overlapping with the game. Also, wrong chair/earrings/shirt/shoes, etc., etc. BURN IT ALL!! EVERYTHING!!!!! :mad:

FFS, I was far too sober for that BS we saw last night. Our offense was offensive. Troy played Clem and his son's better than we did. TROY. I hope our HC holds our OC accountable. Frankly, we believed our own hype. Spray-tan is going to crucify us again, just wearing different colors on the sideline.

P.S. Should have followed the 3 day rule, but NO ALCOHOL. A dilemma which shall be resolved in a few hours. RED WINE

If any of the leaders in my company made this statement, they would get a phone call from our CEO...

"Very disappointed with our performance, it comes back to me; I’ll take credit for some of it."

What a cop out. A true leader takes credit for ALL of it. It's like when you say something and then use the word "but". "It comes back to me"..."I'll take credit for some of it."

What a bunch of bullschlitz. Piss poor leadership.
For realz. The man knows a lot of football. And I think it is rare that he doesn't have the team ready. LSU game in 2008, Miami in 2009. And also rare that he doesn't take blame, but you can't say that here. Just say "I effed up." Don't play CYA.

Kudos to both of the latest posts in this thread.
1)But-kicker is a weapon, that was a 76 yard kickoff....and all the touchbacks. When he warms up, his right foot goes over his helmet. I can barely pick up an Oreo on the floor and get it up to my mouth, and that takes five seconds if hungry. If CLO asks him to kickoff to the left for the cover team, he places it on the left side of the posts. Never out of bounds, never to the right of the right goal post.
2)Those big DLines do eat us up. BAJ, I am looking at Sisk and our blocking techniques. Sending an OL after a LBer when the red dog is on top of your ball carrier or QB is insane.

The CEO comments are spot on. Who runs this team anyway? Oh yes, it's the O.C.

Mel., we don't have any rules(3 day, any day, go for it)here. Glad to hear from you, Sister!

We will bee sending out a posse for Stech81 very soon, if he doesn't check in. I looked for you Brother, it was crowded before kickoff near your seats and Jr. needed to get settled. Bless you all!

Melanie, great to see you posting back here again...though, we all of course wish on better moments (read: not a day after getting our asses handed to us).

Please drink up and post more often. Your inputs are welcome and always insightful.

Having said all that, can I have your Bud Light?

GO VOLLEYBEES!
GO REBS!
GO VOLS!
GO JMU DUKES!
GO REDSKINS!

And, best of luck to my fantasy team this Sunday. My weekend is not over thank Buddha! Wait. Today is Sunday, right? Damn, these Thursday games get me all screwed up. :confused:

Only one solution...

DRUNK BUDDIES

2)Those big DLines do eat us up. BAJ, I am looking at Sisk and our blocking techniques. Sending an OL after a LBer when the red dog is on top of your ball carrier or QB is insane.

I understand why, especially back side of the play, most d-lineman can't get across the field from the back side quick enough the affect the play. So why waste time on them when the LBs can affect the play. But those were not most d-linemen, they were exceptional ones. And IMO that calls for a little different blocking technique. The LBs were coming so fast and hard early that the linemen couldn't get there anyway. So they were not getting blocks anywhere.

Exactly. You have to play that speed, talent level, differently. Letting the DE run free in the 3-4 all night was not smart. On the few occasions they went 4-3, the Tackle took 4 steps through the three gap and fell on JT5 untouched. To his credit, he shook it off but physically laid on his back even after throwing balls away. Those are wasted plays, and when you run a 3 yard a play offense...cannot afford negative plays....and they controlled T.O.P. unmercifully in that fateful first half.

Clemson's D is good. Perhaps very good. But, they are not invincible. Troy put up 24 pts on them at Death Valley along with gaining 21 1st downs and 386 yards of total offense.

The jury is out on Clemson. Louisville will put a ton of pressure on them next week. If they slow down UofL's offense - and they may - then, they deserve all the showerings of greatness they are given. We just know one thing and that is Venables doesn't only eat CPJ's lunch. He eats his breakfast, his dinner, his midnight snack. He probably smokes CPJ's fat cigars and uses his golf clubs without asking too. ;)

I want Clemson to have a good year and for Brent Venables to be one of the most sought after assistants during the upcoming head coach hiring cycle. It sucks having to perennially face a DC that owns your OC.

Me believes Dabo uses his clubs too!
Both of them read his mind.
CPJ needs to keep tabs on the family suite, police had to stay below most of the game(according to a Hiver). Make sure they don't steal his woman. He may need to bring some doughnuts with extra sprinkles to the Students, we might not get that many back out for the next few years.

Sorry to keep banging the drum, but Texwood's comments about hoping Venables moves on reminds me once again why I hope the ACC moves to a 9+1 model of scheduling. I hope Stansbury thinks about our position more. Yes, we may get FSU or Louisville on the schedule more frequently, but we also will get the likes of Wake and Syracuse too.

Most of all, it sucks that we have to face Clemson every year while the Hokies and Cheaters don't have to face them (or FSU) but once every 6 years or so. I bet Virginia feels the same way having toe face UofL annually and the Canes should having to face FSU every year. That extra cross-over game is in our best interest not only for ourselves (IMO) as I'd rather see us play a conference game than Colorado or Ole Miss or the like, but also for ourselves in terms of other Coastal teams having to face one of the top teams in the conference more frequently like we have to.

<off soapbox>

Sorry to keep banging the drum, but Texwood's comments about hoping Venables moves on reminds me once again why I hope the ACC moves to a 9+1 model of scheduling. I hope Stansbury thinks about our position more. Yes, we may get FSU or Louisville on the schedule more frequently, but we also will get the likes of Wake and Syracuse too.

Most of all, it sucks that we have to face Clemson every year while the Hokies and Cheaters don't have to face them (or FSU) but once every 6 years or so. I bet Virginia feels the same way having toe face UofL annually and the Canes should having to face FSU every year. That extra cross-over game is in our best interest not only for ourselves (IMO) as I'd rather see us play a conference game than Colorado or Ole Miss or the like, but also for ourselves in terms of other Coastal teams having to face one of the top teams in the conference more frequently like we have to.

<off soapbox>

I agree with this totally. It would allow others in our division to endure domination from time to time as well.
;)

Hopefully we can get Vandy into our conference so we can start doing some dominating for a change. Maybe Tulane too. Sarcasm

;)

Mel., we don't have any rules(3 day, any day, go for it)here. Glad to hear from you, Sister!

We will bee sending out a posse for Stech81 very soon, if he doesn't check in. I looked for you Brother, it was crowded before kickoff near your seats and Jr. needed to get settled. Bless you all!
I'm here But I don't agree with 3/4's with the things said so it's best to keep my mouth shut and not piss off the good friends I have on here. We got beat we got our ass beat bad, Now watch the tape learn from it and get ready for Miami( and that won't be an easy game nor the next at Pitt). No one thought this team would go 14-0 unless they were past drunk. I really can't believe that anyone using their head would have thought we could win last night unless we played at 100% and Clemson just came in with their heads in their butt. Yes maybe most thought we could keep it close but that didn't happen. And a close loss is still a loss.
Most sound like they are tired of CPJ. I guess I'm the only one who likes him. Did he call some bad plays I guess but how to I know that a different play would work better. He is the coach he can teach them the plays and he can show them how to execute the play. But to my knowledge he can't go on the field and block tackle or catch. People need to understand OL in this offense is very hard to learn most schools can redshirt their OL and here we are playing true freshman . This is a very young line and it will get better. If anyone would have got upset I would have thought it would be me as I am the one who said we could win 9 games most said 6 or 7 wins which we are still on track to do.

One day I will tell you why MJ will run this offense better than most anyone, go back and watch Nesbitt and you can see. And am not talking about just his toughness but how he runs the TO. ( remember the phrase just take it up field) something MJ and Nesbitt did. The TO is not designed for the QB to take the A-backs lane from him. All this does is makes it easier to defend you only have the middle or outside to cover hence why when we get on there we have 3 defenders waiting. being athletic can still work at times but not against a good fast defense.
Hope I didn't piss any off I do like you guys and girl.

Last edited:
No, you can never offend me. This is a difficult job and I have no idea who could do it better? It's proven coaching changes take us back a few years, this one would probably be more with the short backs, quick lineman. The counter is he is being paid over 3 m. per year with the perks. We all hate losing, I had us at 8-4 with a bowl win if they take it seriously. I had this as a loss, although picking 28-27 on the Hive(Vandy game fooled me a little), the point spread made it easier to go with Tech.

If you're right and M.J. is better, I'm glad to be wrong about Taquon Marshall and Lucas Johnson. I just wish they wouldn't bullfart the media and people close to the program. We all get frustrated with the youth, which is not their fault being tossed into the fray. Those two attrition challenged recruiting years have come to haunt us for a few seasons. No reason to think we can't come back. We do need to help them and that is where 9 coaches come in, who are making a decent living.

Totally in agreement concerning the T.O. It's not designed for heroic comebacks or predictable long down passing plays. That's why ball control is so crucial and T.O.P. too. Not that taking the ball first would have probably made any difference, but in this offense I prefer it.

I put my picks out on the table once a week with a little detail. I picked us to lose to Clemson by 14. We lost by 19. Not far off.

What I did not pick was our HC making an unnecessary asinine statement that apparently folks want to overlook. A true leader takes full accountability without qualifiers. Particularly one who makes near 3M a year and oversees 18-23 year old amateurs.

I never saw or heard Bobby Cremins say anything like "I take responsibility for our poor showing...well, some of it". I only recall him taking all the blame after a loss and poured all the credit to the players after a win, not accepting any praise. If we lost, he felt like it was his guys he recruited, his preparation, his in-game management, etc.

Now, even with in my eyes an asinine comment, that doesn't mean I dislike CPJ or want him elsewhere than where he is now. Hell, if we were going to take that route, SWMBO would've dumped me years ago. Engineers who work for me make mistakes. When I go into the Quarterly Ops Review and have to explain some non-favorable numbers, I would never even consider saying "I take responsibility...well, some of it". My ass would be grass. Apparently because CPJ doesn't do the blocking and tackling on the field, he somehow gets a pass? Why? I think I'll try saying that at the next QOR and I'll let you girls know how it went. I may need my credit card back, btw. ;);););)

I put my picks out on the table once a week with a little detail. I picked us to lose to Clemson by 14. We lost by 19. Not far off.

What I did not pick was our HC making an unnecessary asinine statement that apparently folks want to overlook. A true leader takes full accountability without qualifiers. Particularly one who makes near 3M a year and oversees 18-23 year old amateurs.

I never saw or heard Bobby Cremins say anything like "I take responsibility for our poor showing...well, some of it". I only recall him taking all the blame after a loss and poured all the credit to the players after a win, not accepting any praise. If we lost, he felt like it was his guys he recruited, his preparation, his in-game management, etc.

Now, even with in my eyes an asinine comment, that doesn't mean I dislike CPJ or want him elsewhere than where he is now. Hell, if we were going to take that route, SWMBO would've dumped me years ago. Engineers who work for me make mistakes. When I go into the Quarterly Ops Review and have to explain some non-favorable numbers, I would never even consider saying "I take responsibility...well, some of it". My ass would be grass. Apparently because CPJ doesn't do the blocking and tackling on the field, he somehow gets a pass? Why? I think I'll try saying that at the next QOR and I'll let you girls know how it went. I may need my credit card back, btw. ;);););)
I can't give your credit card back till after Christmas I promised a nice Christmas to the family this year. ;)

OK. Thanks for the heads up. We'll probably have a strong 3rd quarter anyway. I'll take all the credit for it. I mean, after all, I am the smartest man in the room.

4th quarter will be good too like normal. We'll blow in 1st quarter so I'll wait until the 1Q QOR in April to lose my j...errrr, I meant blame my team for us blowing. Happy Shopping between now and April '17, mate.

:p

OK. Thanks for the heads up. We'll probably have a strong 3rd quarter anyway. I'll take all the credit for it. I mean, after all, I am the smartest man in the room.

4th quarter will be good too like normal. We'll blow in 1st quarter so I'll wait until the 1Q QOR in April to lose my j...errrr, I meant blame my team for us blowing. Happy Shopping between now and April '17, mate..

:p
I guess we can still hope Ole Miss comes through tomorrow.
Side note I remember about 2 to years ago I was on a conference call with the corporate office about a job my office bid. The estimator had worked up the bid and I went and cut it. He looked at me and said are you sure I said yes I want to prove we can get this job and company A is not the only one that can do work in that county. Well it was about a 3.5m job which we were low. It took 2 months to finish the job and we lost about 300k on the job. On one of the phone calls the President ask me what happen did you have bad weather , equipment down,trucking over run. I told him no. Well he asked again what happen. And I told him I want to prove to company A we could get a job in their area. He than asked what did I learn. I waiting a minute and said Well now I know we can get a job in that area ...... but not at that price and still make money. I guess what saved me my office out of 50 still had the 3rd highest profit for the year.

I love me some CPJ! His sarcasm speaks mi language! He just made a mistake in what he said. Most likely he didn't mean it like Pitt f2f cane across. Ps Solomon drunk now. Yas. Feeling nothing.noggin :/. Had to login like twelfth h t I messed. I love you guys!!!

Oddly, I understood every word of that. LOL!

RED WINE

(drink up! looks like it may be another season where we will need too)

Just listened to CPJ's post game presser and he claims that there was someone assigned to pick up the DB's that were blitzing off the edge against Clemson. All I have to say to that is - WOW!!! Whoever that guy was, failed in epic fashion. Nearly all of those blitzes were unblocked jail breaks (with no receiver anywhere near the area vacated by the blitzer). Better get that figured out this week because Manny Diaz is sure to dial that up in a big bad way.

ETA: Have your WR read it and break off his route tree into the flat. Simple stuff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT