ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking news... Mike Bobinski to take Purdue AD job??

I do think Tech people need to re-calibrate our revisionist historical minds. We all want to get back to the days of going to the NCAAT 9 years in a row. In truth, that is so far in the rear view mirror, it is just a dream. I agree with ESPNF'nJ about ceiling projections, but the question is what is realistic over the next 4 years for Tech? Our standard should not be 1985-1993. At least, not now. Just getting to a point where we aren't a complete embarrassment is the objective for the next 3 years, IMO. Then, we can talk about what's next and consider how good or bad the hire of CJP was.

This is the honest truth! I have typed it many times as well.

When that streak was starting, Under Armor was only a pipe dream and Nike was making only running shoes. Only Adidas - of those three - was a major sports apparel manufacturer and their logo was a flower. It was a long stinkin' time ago - 31 years, to be exact. To compare, 31 years before that time was 1954, the height of Dodd's golden era. The. game. has. changed.

Our expectations need to change as well. The basketball ACC has doubled from 8 to 16 teams and the mid-major is a national brand now. The kids demand payment and parents can watch their kids play at any time of day or night on the internet. The best only expect to play 1 or 2 years in college. In short, it's far harder to compete for talent and to win games.

If "money follows success," or dreams thereof, then our program is screwed. We are back on the ground floor with the elevator of ACC basketball out of service, forcing us to take the stairs. GA Tech fans need to accept reality that any return to the C-suite of ACC basketball (if we were ever really there) is not going to be as quick and easy as it was 31 years ago.

I'd suggest we learn to enjoy the ride as much as we want to enjoy the destination.

Just my $.02 worth.

I'm just glad the dark cloud that has been hanging over the Gigantic Melon that has been a stranglehold on our recruiting efforts is now gone (read: whether CBG will stay as HC or not creating doubt in recruits' heads). The next 2 years will be difficult to swallow, though not necessarily or even guaranteed to be worse than the last 6 years.

I guess there are other choices - like quitting, which I'll never do - but to me, I only have one choice and that is to hope and support CJP while having some degree of faith in him moving forward in what is a significant rebuilding job. Having said that, I may be naive because you'd think these same advantages would've helped the past few years, but we do still have 1) great facilities, 2) recruiting bevy in our own backyard, 3) ACC, 4) TV and exposure, 5) Atlanta, and the list goes on.

To me, GT Hoops is like what Cheaters Football has been for most of the past 20 years...that is, a sleeping dog just awaiting to be woken up. Looks like - perhaps to my dismay - the Cheaters may have finally solved their FB problem by hiring Fedora as HC after years of absolutely stupid hires over and over. I'm hoping we have stumbled on a good one with CJP. If he can just get a blue chipper or two to announce a commit in the coming weeks/months, the snowball effect that can arise from that could be tremendous. Infectious.

One more thing...it is obvious to me so far that we can get used to us striking out on a lot more recruiting targets. That is not and should not be viewed as a bad thing. I think CJP casts a far wider net which I happen to like. Going way back, but for comparison sake, Cremins (not a good recruiter, but a great recruiter) cast about as small a net as has ever been witnessed in any recruiting strategy in any sport. He focused on a few select studs, promised them near 40 minutes a game, went with little-to-no bench, and threw all his eggs in that very small basket. For the most part, it worked. When he struck out or was not prepared for early departures, he was screwed. He rarely had back up plans for a Don McLean to surprise the hell out of him by not coming to Tech.

Hewitt was not as limited-focused as Cremins, but he did not cast a wide net either comparatively speaking IMO to what we are seeing now with CJP. Gregory's recruiting strategy? Sorry to say and not trying to kick a guy when he's down, but I'm just not sure how to characterize it.

So, get ready. We will get lots of tweets as buzzforlife has so excellently been keeping up abreast of with guys we're pursuing announcing their future announcement of when they will finally announce that we are not sexy enough for their collegiate hoops careers. But, that's because I think we are targeting 4x or 5x more kids in terms of giving offers. That strategy could change in 2-3 years if/when CJP has some success and the foundation is much more stable. IOW, perhaps the net is cast so wide right now because he has 6 ships to use and will gladly welcome all the 3* talent he can get at this point.

Man, the last three posts above me are about as straight on target, as can possibly be written.

The strange part is with the wide net we "only have 13 to give" and he could use more. Lesser known commodities want to come here now, realize he is going to run, and will take fewer minutes. Part of CBCremins' tenure we had 15 to give during the Title 9 adoption, and didn't need them(according to Coach). I'm not discouraged like you, because 2018 will be more true to the efforts put forth now.

One question from up above about Suite C...is that where the big donors sit and eat? I only get an invite every decade or so as a touring guest, so it's easy to forget the sign on the door.

Man, the last three posts above me are about as straight on target, as can possibly be written.

The strange part is with the wide net we "only have 13 to give" and he could use more. Lesser known commodities want to come here now, realize he is going to run, and will take fewer minutes. Part of CBCremins' tenure we had 15 to give during the Title 9 adoption, and didn't need them(according to Coach). I'm not discouraged like you, because 2018 will be more true to the efforts put forth now.

One question from up above about Suite C...is that where the big donors sit and eat? I only get an invite every decade or so as a touring guest, so it's easy to forget the sign on the door.

Not sure if serious.

Just in case, it was a metaphorical allusion to the top echelon of the conference. IOW, the floor where all the the guys with the C-words in front of their titles congregate.

Am I in agreement with the Dukie? Yes!!

Coach Bill Curry said that GT is a bunch of moaners and complainers. True, but at least we care enough to complain and moan all the time.

"money follows success" - certainly this is true, but that's the late money.

Almost always you will see that there must be a funding early on with the seeds of success that grow early on and then the easy money comes later. GT fans have been in a holding pattern, show me the success and then I'll get on board. There are several basic reasons why, don't like the coach, don't like the AD, don't like how the past money has been spent, etc.

Time to get over that and start seeding the programs again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT