ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking news... Mike Bobinski to take Purdue AD job??

Can't disagree with you, BAJ.
Only problem is he didn't seem to care enough to do much. Only what was required. Way too long in replacing CBG. A year or two in hoops can set you back an extra five or six, depending on perception and certain recruiting dynamics on display.

This is a small detail, but Drad had schedules placed in the Bookstore, Tents, Arenas, et al, for all of our Athletic Teams. You can't sell what you don't advertise. This guy pinched pennies in the wrong places.

^^^THIS 622 THOUSAND TIMES OVER^^^

Time for celebration! I was counting down the days until his 5 year contract (paging ESPN F'n Jacket!) was over and hoping like hell Prez Budweiser wouldn't renew his contract for more unwarranted time continuing to dig our beloved athletic program into a deeper grave.

I just hope we'll make better decisions this time around. Starting with lessening the influence of one donor and opening up the search to a more diverse group of people. Learn from history of mistakes. Get somebody that is going to rally the fanbase, raise money, demand more efficiency from the GTAA, get rid of a lot of the dead wood at the GTAA, and be a face for continual improvement and accountability.

Sasquatch/Big Foot/Loch Nes Monster, asked what more he could do for football?
Raise Money! Put on a happy face. Stay on board the ship. Get a personality.

This is insane, but not surprising... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-was-dysfunction-junction-under-bobins/nsCmC/

More reason to celebrate this knucklehead is gone!!! Woohooooooo!!!

The only smiles bigger than those at Purdue are those at Tech.

Morale in the Edge Athletics Center reportedly is at an all-time low. Tech president Bud Peterson and whatever search committee he hires had better realize that because they screwed up the last time they hired an AD.
The more I read I'm glad he is gone. And I bet CPJ is also. A Cargo plane to Dublin?

August 9, 2016...a day to celebrate for Tech fans. There is now hope.

Fingers crossed Prez Bud doesn't screw this up. News earlier that he is using a search firm this time around could be a good sign. If nothing else, it varies from the last search used to hire The Bobinski Failure.

You know after Homer Rice, we have slid down a notch with each hire.

There has to be a way to graduate student athletes, field solid programs that are competitive in each sport annually, fundraise, keep up the facilities and update them, have a competent staff that remains cutting edge, incorporate Atlanta and surrounding areas to come out and lastly move the dead weight out including coaches that are not gaining any momentum.

Should we not get the Kansas St. A.D., would Todd Stansbury leave Oregon St. after only about a year there? Would you want him, after the UCF experience?

I actually worked with Todd at the very beginnings of his time as an academic assistant at Tech and during my grad school time working as a tutor for money to buy diapers in the GTAA in the late 80's. He's a nice guy. He's just another name in the standard operating procedure of when an opening arises, we all have to look into connections to the past to Tech. We aren't the only ones who do this. Pretty much all fanbases do it. His name comes up pretty much for that reason only. Otherwise, he probably doesn't even get a mention by anyone.

I highly doubt he is interested anyway. I think he should stay at Oregon State for another 4-5 years minimum and avoid job hopping.

As far as looking to connections to Tech's past, in the thread reply yesterday where I posted (jokingly) the obligatory pics of Curry, Cremins, Admiral Johnson, et al, those should not be taken seriously. However, young professionals with legit CV's like Danielle Donehew and Darryl Richard should be...and, not just at Tech.

Regardless of who it is, I hope the search firm and Prez Bud take their precious time. I'm fine with it taking several months if needed. Into 2017 won't even bother me. I hope we don't pay someone 700+ grand for that job. Our athletic program is minuscule compared to most of the rest of the ACC. And even then, the major focus is really in about 2 or 3 sports...and those can be run pretty much on their own by the head coaches. We need a fund-raiser, someone firm on compliance, someone who can attract talent and keep it motivated, and a face to the fanbase. Take your time and go through 622 candidates if needed to find the right person. Give Daniels a chance if needed at a lower pay rate. Then, promote him on a lower dime until he proves himself if needed.

It burns my ass that Bobinski The Failure monthly had around 50 grand after taxes directly deposited to his bank account. That's ridiculous.

Let's not forget that a huge contributor to Ga Tech Athletics chaired the search committee to find Bobinski. Steve Zelnak was in charge of helping President Peterson last time. I don't know how persuasive he was in the decision. I hope whoever has this position this time does a better job of vetting the candidates.

Also, Bobinski could not make coaching changes any differently because of the financial problems. Who knows how much work he put into fund raising to help the situation. But as tight as I know most GT alumni are, I can imagine finding money to payoff Hewitt would have been difficult. GT fans and alumni need to loosen their purse strings.

The next AD if they stay long enough will be replacing Coach Johnson (probably with retirement) but that will be an interesting search and an interesting transition. Also Coach Fire Danny Hall will likely retire during the next tenure as well. So this is a very important hire.

Yep. Zelnak has already been covered in this thread. His influence on the selection of Bobinski was very high reportedly from those close to the search. The words "hand picked by Zelnak" have been stated many times.

The first sentence in your second paragraph is completely unfounded and Bobinski himself has said that isn't true. In fact, your entire second paragraph is perplexing. It reads as if you are defending Bobinski and placing blame on Tech fans and our so-called "purse strings". You've banged that mantra many times in the past and I never understand it. Tech people give...and give A LOT. The facts prove that.

Agree with your last sentence, though there is absolutely nothing pressing at the moment to rush anything (not that you were suggesting that).

I do bang that drum a lot, because when you look at what Tech alumni give to the institute it does not proportionally fall correctly between academics and athletics the way it should. GT fans do not give enough to the athletic association. If they did you wouldn't hear coach Johnson complain about facilities and you wouldn't see the number of basketball candidates that passed on Ga Tech during the last 2 coaching searches.

And I have said several times that I don't believe Bobinski when he said finances were not a big part of the decision in basketball. It is the only think that really makes sense to explain the actual events.

I am aware and don't believe 18% is the right funding goal for athletics.

For instance: Why don't we have more endowed scholarships? GT alumni have proven they can fund them by the amounts they are giving to the institute. The President doesn't make it a funding priority.

Also there are several mentions in this thread alone that point to a lack of funding for GTAA. The need is known. GT fans can't keep blaming one poor leader for the lack of funding. Was he a weak link here, sure he was, but ultimately the problem falls on the fans and alumni to give if they want GTAA to keep up with the other ACC programs.

Last edited:
Clemson just had a campaign that was 1 billion 62 million. With $310 million going to athletics. 29%

FSU is nearing the end of their current campaign, 1 billion goal overall, $250 million for athletics. 25%

Miami reached their goal a year early by getting $1.6 Billion last year. Not sure how much of that is going to Athletics.

Pitt reports $2.1 Billion for its Building our Future Together Campaign. Their campaign is longer than most.

Looked for UNC and NCSU but could not find reports...

But I guess you can see my point, a lot of schools are raising donations in the Billions now. But those are allocating a higher percentage to their athletic programs. GT needs to quit being stingy with the AA.

Yep. Zelnak has already been covered in this thread. His influence on the selection of Bobinski was very high reportedly from those close to the search. The words "hand picked by Zelnak" have been stated many times.

Zelnak hired Bobinski to hire the next basketball coach. We ended up with Pastner.

Pastner is a very low floor/very high ceiling hire. We could have chosen another Gregory (low floor/low ceiling) so I am willing to give him a chance. But that is NOT the result expected when turning the department over to a mute.

By the way, holy cow GTJT622. John Currie is a great target. I know him and he is exactly the kind of guy that GT needs. He understands PR and media relationships. I know GT fans feel ignored by media but we actually have media to ignore us. He has done a great job reaching out to national media with a positive message. He essentially says to national media, "Hey, we are pretty good. Come take a look and let us know what you think. We are building something good here and want you to see it."

Not to make this too personal but when I have worked at Kansas State (probably 5 times in the last 5 years) I have spoken more with John Currie than I have with all GT personnel in the last 5 games I've worked at GT. He is the AD. A GT AD has never spoken to me or visited our booth at an ESPN game where I have worked.

My son worked under Currie when he was interning at UT-Knoxville Athletic Association during 2 summers and Currie was Deputy AD (read: #2 guy...or whatever they call it there). My son was very impressed with him and from there I have followed his career pretty closely. There were A LOT of UT people very pissed off that they let him get away during all of the chaos of the Hamilton era, though I think they may have wound up with a good one in Dave Hart. I think Currie will replace Hart if he doesn't wind up somewhere else.

I have no idea if he would be interested in returning to the Southeast and deal with Tech's mess. The Big 12 is a mess though and K-State is in the middle of nowhere. However, as Bobinski has alluded to in his intro presser, being in a "college town" where you are the main attraction by far has its advantages. And, that certainly is the case as you well know in Manhattan, KS...like most all of the Big 12 campus locales.

Would like to know your feelings on his first part with CJP, even though to judge him already is totally unfair? As most reasonable minds that follow the program closely already know.
Mostly asking about perception in your eyes(the low floor/very high ceiling)?

Not that anyone asked me on this site, but I feel strongly that MBB was/is a direct reflection of the mess created in most sports(Golf, aside)by the GTAA. That was an almost impossible hire, brought on by the depths that we sunk, partly responsible by decisions made from 2013 forward, with the A.D. to extend CBG, then limbo him on making no decision last year. For those reasons, I tend to think it was wise to go with a 38 y.o. hungry coach who had some proven success at a decent program. Basketball was reported to be Bob's fortay, making this last move potentially his best, since it's difficult to see any other ones equaling that huge salary he deposited.

I think you both have answered that question. When ESPNF'nJ said... "I am willing to give him a chance" and you said... "to judge him already is totally unfair".

There are so many factors that can and will affect where we are 4 years from now. And, there are so many examples on both sides where what originally looked like a poor hire turned out to be fabulous and what originally looked like a great hire turned out to be awful. We remind ourselves that Duke fans wanted to run Ratface out after 3 years at Duke...after howling for 3 years about the lunacy of the original hire to start with. Hokie faithful begged for Beamer to take the Syracuse job so he'd be gone in the early 90's. When Bobby Cremins was hired the first question not just by Techies but across the ACC was "who?"

I do think Tech people need to re-calibrate our revisionist historical minds. We all want to get back to the days of going to the NCAAT 9 years in a row. In truth, that is so far in the rear view mirror, it is just a dream. I agree with ESPNF'nJ about ceiling projections, but the question is what is realistic over the next 4 years for Tech? Our standard should not be 1985-1993. At least, not now. Just getting to a point where we aren't a complete embarrassment is the objective for the next 3 years, IMO. Then, we can talk about what's next and consider how good or bad the hire of CJP was.

I do like his work ethic so far. He is saying a lot of the right things. Certainly, he's focusing on recruiting which is where he should. He'll have to recruit his way out of the mess he has inherited. But, he knew this coming in. You've already got some Tech fans calling his hire a "mistake" or "disaster". To judge that already is totally unfair as you said.

You make great points.
To look at the flip side, the first four to five years of Hewitt brought Tech folks to cloud nirvana, not using one "Braine".
It's amazing how much money is generated in to the "toatality of a school", when having a National Championship season or playing in that final game should such happen. Granted that luck, the ball bouncing right, limited injuries, play a big factor for the "unusual team" getting that far.
I'm guilty of not being able to enjoy a winning season, like CBG's final one here. I want those NCAA appearances every season, even though the "blue-bloods" strike out within their expectations most years. Possibly the worst thing for the fans is if CJP takes us to the Dance in year 2 or 3. The pressure will be added, although it fuels future recruiting objectives.

Another thing I'd like to see from the new AD is to hire 1) an assistant AD in charge of the non-FB/non-MBB sports and 2) younger up-and-comers who could be groomed to be the next AD at Tech - swiping Darryl Richard from Clemson, for instance, or someone like him.

Hopefully, (1) and (2) could be the same guy/gal. I think Wenzel was kinda-sorta in that (1) role above before she left. I want somebody who is going to be hands on with the volleyball program, the softball program, etc. I'm not suggesting micro-managing per se, but definitely involved in the strategic direction and supporting/leading/helping however needed to assure success. This goes as far as being more aggressive in marketing these programs, helping break down any recruiting barriers, certainly raising money, etc. IOW, working very closely with the head coaches...including holding the head coaches accountable.

I don't think Bobinski gave a rat's butt about these programs and Radakovich wasn't far from him in that either. As much vitriol as Dave Braine gets (and he deserves a lot of it IMO), the great positive during his era as AD at Tech is that the women's programs stepped up out of the dark in a huge way. He made some excellent hires. This yet-to-be-named person I'm hypothesizing and hoping for on the new AD's staff should be the lead on the firing and hiring as necessary to get these programs which are struggling back to where they were 5 to 10 years ago. It's difficult to make a good hire when you spend next to no time around that program and fully understands its needs.

I dare suggest the unthinkable again only to possibly shake up some brain cells here when I sincerely ask... "if Tech isn't going to try to excel in some of these athletics programs, then why have them?" I realize to be a member of the ACC and D1, we have to have a minimum number of programs. And, there's Title 9 we must comply to. I'm fine with those. But, to just have a half-ass attitude towards over half of your athletic program is nuts to me. What if we for-profit businesses and business people acted that way? Totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
More...I fully understand I am in the very small minority of the Tech fanbase who cares about most all of the athletic programs and not just FB and/or MBB. And, I don't even closely follow sports like T&F and S&D.

I may be highly influenced by being near UVA. They actually do care deeply about these other sports. I fully admit that influence exists with me. But, what bothers me is that these are the sports - whether Tech people care about them or not - that we can and should be excelling in. There are few barriers. Most of the S-A's in these sports are outstanding students and looking for great careers that a Tech education can facilitate for them.

I don't buy all of the constant excuses I see about football and why Tech can't compete. I've read them over a thousand times over the past 20 years online. I buy some of them but not nearly to the extent they are magnified and dwelled upon. Having said that, let's say we will never compete for a national title in FB ever again (pity the thought...I think we will, btw...this time a year ago we were being mentioned as a darkhorse so it isn't that long ago our name was out there).

Putting FB aside, I see ZERO reason why we could not and should not be a national title contender in every other athletic program - including T&F and S&D. Hopefully, our new AD will look to get the ENTIRE athletic program healthy and competitive. It will be a constant struggle though I know because recruiting is difficult when fans don't care.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Do you think Danielle D. who accelerated to power in the Old Big East Conference, would be interested in your 1) and 2) suggestive hierarchy? Might have to pay her accordingly, correct?

Fundraising is so important to attract top shelf talent. As you mentioned previously concerning schools like Tenn., they had a Currie in waiting. Tech needs that with the Darryl Richard's of the world. Creating a future position for Marvin Lewis to retain him longer. Get the leadership to turn this mess around.

You are correct about how most of us would be fired for such performance. I was told by more than one person lately that I have made a lifestyle change by taking care of a special needs person full-time, dissing 6 figure positions when over 55 years of age. My response is always the same. It is a choice. If you don't have time to devote to doing a job correctly, don't take it. The medical community let us down, and frankly without a village present-you have little choice unless you are able to turn your back on family. Some have to, so this opinion or decision is not directed at them. Materialism defines a lot of our culture. I'm fortunate not to have that worry these days. Although like 97% of our society, the other problem is having enough of the net to survive. Oops, I'm starting to think of the math...better stop now.

For starters - as a brother to a sister who was born with spina bifida and paralyzed from the waist down - I have been a part first hand with the struggles and sacrifices parents and entire families go through with scenarios like you experience. I admire you for that and I know I'm not alone.

Danielle Donehew is an outstanding candidate. We'd be lucky if she were to agree to a role like that. I have no idea that she would even be interested. She can do better though. If I were her agent, I'd tell her not to even consider it. As I stated earlier in this thread, I don't think Tech has the balls or brains to hire someone like her. You already know full well what I expect Tech's next AD to look like. And, unfortunately, a position like that will not get the support at Tech that it will at most all of the other ACC athletic programs...from the AD to the fanbase. Certainly not the fanbase at Tech. Donehew has experience across all sports, not just women's hoops, from her time with the conference office. She's worked with TV contracts, lawyers, finance folks, etc. But, apparently that won't matter. We need a "football guy" and preferably somebody from Tech's past so says Average Tech Fan right now. *SIGH*

If I were Richard's agent, I'd have to think is his future career better staying under Radakovich or coming to Tech in a role just below AD? If he isn't a candidate for the AD role at Tech - and I can understand why he might not be at this age of his life - I am not sure I'd recommend he come here...unless of course he is just dying to be at his alma mater, which I doubt is the case.

Bobinski wins no points with me for much of anything. One of his top 3 accomplishments was developing a bureaucratic set of guiding principles in a document that means nothing and is likely soon going to be trashed by the new AD and his staff. LOL! That was thought up 3 years into his era. More LOL! Having said that, it was interesting to me that one of his immediate observations of Tech fans about a year into the job was and I quote how "negative we are". Some of that is true. Some of it is bunk. Some of it is warranted. Some of it is the woe-is-me-everybody-hates-us shaft mentality of Tech folks. Some of it is - and yes, I'm going to say it - the little brother mentality of the Evil Empire to the East.

I have made the point multiple times that I hope we never hire another "player's coach" for FB at Tech ever again. Dodd was labeled that but that was a far different time with far different circumstances. Since he departed, the rough-around-the-edges smart asses have succeeded far greater than the nice guys. Ross/O'Leary/Johnson being the gruff guys and Curry/Lewis/Gailey being examples of nice guys. (Pepper was a bit of both) I think the smart ass guys connect better with the mostly think-we-know-it-all Tech alumni and fanbase. Should this same approach be applied to an AD? Hmmm...well, you don't want an AD who goes to raise money and speaks at alumni club meetings acting like Ross-O'Leary-Johnson, right? Or, do we?

In truth, I wouldn't mind an AD who spices things up a bit. At least someone who gets out there and says "enough with the negativity, let's kick some ass". IOW, why not Tech? I think the Tech fanbase would welcome that approach with open arms and the money would flow in as a result of it. Unfortunately, we will likely hire someone who looks and acts more like an actuary than a motivator. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I hope you are wrong as well, financial budgets are important, but the AD has an associate that is responsible for that slice of the pie.

We need someone who is vocal with Peterson, someone who brings challenges to the fan base, someone who can motivate positive change like Homer Rice was able to do.

I hate to always make that comparison, but he's been the best that I know.

I thought Dr. Rice was right for that time. If GTJT will let me borrow what inference he is most likely expressing, it is time for a change. We have our first African-American President and First Lady, about ready to hand that over to the first female President. Why not break through those barriers at Tech, a very progressive, first rate institution? We all agree on wanting the best candidate. How about one that challenges the status quo?

On several previous occassions(just as he has above), JT has pointed out all of the issues that keep us from competing consistently and running a cohesive Athletic Assn. This person should lead by example, delegate authority appropriately, have a personality for P.R. to challenge the media to get more involved and bring innovative ideas that placate the fan base.

Would like to know your feelings on his first part with CJP, even though to judge him already is totally unfair? As most reasonable minds that follow the program closely already know.
Mostly asking about perception in your eyes(the low floor/very high ceiling)?

Pastner is known as a high-energy recruiter, which is an obvious need. No one can compete in ACC basketball without good players. GT is a lot different school than Memphis. I expect he will be able to adjust to the differences but we don't know that. The low floor would be a disaster scenario where he can't adjust. Again, I don't expect that but I don't dismiss it as an impossible scenario.

A college basketball announcer, who knows were I went to college, asked me in the spring what I thought of the Pastner hire. I gave my opinion (low floor/high ceiling, good recruiter was most important need to fill, I hope he hires a good staff for Xs and Os). He then told me that Memphis was the worst coached team he ever saw this past year. He said the opposing coaches asked if the announcer had watched any of their film and asked the announcer if he had ever seen a less organized college basketball team. This is not a typical exchange between a basketball coach and an announcer.

As a side note, he also said that in his opinion there is no reason for GT to ever be a sub-par basketball team.

So I express my concern about his coaching ability but he was really young when he got that job and he, like all of us, can grow and improve. The low floor scenario is unlikely (struggles to recruit, abysmal floor coaching). The high ceiling is more likely (kicks ass recruiting, improves his floor coaching, lots of input from this experienced staff). Somewhere in between is more likely than either, hopefully on the high side. I renewed my seats.

Paul Griffin will be Interim AD.

Details on the new search committee

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/peterson-appoints-interim-ad-search-commitee/nsDkD/

Headed by Georgia Tech Foundation president Al Trujillo, an institute graduate.

Jen Abrams – student, former member of the Georgia Tech Athletic Association (GTAA) board and former student government association president

Mary Brock – member of Alexander-Tharpe Fund board, co-chair of Tech’s recently concluded capital campaign, co-owner of the Atlanta Dream

Reginald Desroches –civil engineering department chair and the faculty athletic representative;

Lynn Durham –assistant vice president and chief of Peterson’s staff

Mac Nease – alumni member of the Tech athletic association, former Tech baseball player, president of Nease, Lagana, Eden and Culley, Inc.

Nathan Rakitt – Tech student, former member of the tennis team and chair of the student athlete advisory board

Steve Swant – executive vice president for administration and finance

possibly one more...

surprised to see no comments on Peterson's search committee.

He also mentioned a 4 month time frame. Which seems reasonable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT