ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament thread

MGH is gifting Tech fans with an inspirational performance tonight. I got a good feeling that he wills us to a win tonight.

Reactions: BornAJacket
At end of 40 minutes for the 3 games so far today, the margins have been 1 pt, 3 pts, and 0 pts. Talk about close.

If Clemson loses this game - and I hope like hell they do - it is the kind of loss that will stay with you for a lifetime if you are a player. This is seriously one of the greatest comebacks in program history by Tech.

Texwood, hope you cash that ML ticket, babyyyy. I had 2 units on us getting 1.5.

JACKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
BANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCE
Rock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock Horns

Even Santa Claus loves the Jackets!! SANTA

I felt like I was the wiseguy taking +400 at the half on this amazingly resilient group. Eleven minutes into the 2nd half, down 18, I felt like the biggest homer sucker of all time. To then pull off a comeback for the ages is beyond comprehension!!!! Go Jackets!!!!!!

In case you can't hear, the arena is packed with Hokies. This will be like a home game for them as I stated at the beginning of this thread.

There's something going on with this team that has won 7 of its last 9. A big part of that something is MGH at the point. In crunch time tonight, he was directing the offense like Peyton Manning - Omaha...Omaha...boom!

It was way too late coming, but let's soak it in while it lasts. Get a good night of rest tonight BasketJackets!!

Last edited:
FWIW, we moved up 8 spots to #63 in the RPI. That's really more like #61 because SMU and Louisville are in the top 20 and ineligible for postseason.

A win tomorrow gets the Jackets into serious consideration and on the bubble. We'd have not one, but two wins over Virginia, who is currently viewed as on the 1-line for seeding by some (2-line at worst).

For any interested...

...MGH passed Tony Akins tonight moving into 11th place all-time in scoring at Tech. MGH is now at 1,670 pts. He is now 66 pts behind Malcolm Mackey for #10. He should have at minimum 2 more games to play - hopefully more.

ESPNU is currently replaying the game in truncated fashion for anyone interested in seeing it again.

Need to be below RPI or BPI of 57, just for a chance at the "real tourney".
Would imagine it might take a win on Friday, to be in good shape?

What an awesome comeback. I was very upset when they got down 18. Plus all the turnovers, that was not the GT team we had seen these last 10 games. I believe the coaches did a good job settling them down and working their plan.

Clemson surely helped out with some timely (for GT) fouls. Sloppy defense, they really paniced in the last 5 minutes of regulation. Take that Radacovich.

Need to be below RPI or BPI of 57, just for a chance at the "real tourney".
Would imagine it might take a win on Friday, to be in good shape?

Maybe so, but this resume is unique. Is there really a bad conference loss on there? Plus the OOC schedule is one of the best in the country. There are a lot of real positives besides the RPI. I know the committee will think long and hard about a team that beat a potential #1 seed twice.

But to make that happen they must win tonight.

A few thoughts...

-I think last night's win slam dunked a NIT bid. And perhaps, a nice seed in the MET and hosting a first round game.

-Getting in the NCAAT with 14 losses is going to be very tough. I think the Jackets may have to win the whole enchilada this week in DC to get in.

-Sure am glad we got that 10-seed instead of having to play the extra game on Tuesday like the Noles had to.

-Tonight, there will be a ton of UVa Snobs (redundant I realize) in the DC Arena. However, everyone in there who are not Frenchies will be rooting for our guys. And, in A.C.C.T. tradition, if the game is close late, the arena will REALLY get behind the Jackets (underdog). The Turkey Buzzards will gobble up (pun intended) a ton of tickets so expect a lot of Frenchies and Hokies in the arena tonight. The Hokies will love to see their arch-rivals go home.

IMO, the key to beating UVA is keeping it close and then trying to pounce on them at the end. GT has excelled at winning these close games recently, I see no reason to do anything differently.

We've got to make some shots tonight and avoid turnovers (like we did for most of the 2nd half last night, but killed ourselves in the first half). Virginia limits possessions with their style of play. Hence, you have to be efficient and productive with the possessions you do have. I know "making some shots" sounds simplistic, but the teams who defeat Tony Bennett's bunch absolutely must take full advantage of opportunities - in some ways it is analogous to when teams play us in FB considering CPJ's funky offense (when rolling and not punting, that is) and coaches know they likely won't get 13 or more offensive possessions like they might in their other games.

Brogdon shot horribly below his normal expectations back in January during our win. We can't expect that again. We did a pretty good job in that game making him work and contesting his perimeter attempts. We absolutely have to do that again tonight.

Other point spreads today in addition to the Jackets +10 vs the French...

12pm - UNC laying 8 versus Pitt
2:30pm - Duke laying 2.5 versus ND
9:30pm - Miami laying 8 versus VPI&SU

A lot of experience on the court tonight in our game against the French. 3 of UVa's top 4 scorers are seniors (Brogdon, Gill and Tobey). And, of course, G.T.'s point production is loaded with guys at the end of their collegiate careers. Tech now has 4 players averaging double figures in scoring and all 4 are seniors (or grad student in the case of Smith).

We've got to make some shots tonight and avoid turnovers (like we did for most of the 2nd half last night, but killed ourselves in the first half). Virginia limits possessions with their style of play. Hence, you have to be efficient and productive with the possessions you do have. I know "making some shots" sounds simplistic, but the teams who defeat Tony Bennett's bunch absolutely must take full advantage of opportunities - in some ways it is analogous to when teams play us in FB considering CPJ's funky offense (when rolling and not punting, that is) and coaches know they likely won't get 13 or more offensive possessions like they might in their other games.

Brogdon shot horribly below his normal expectations back in January during our win. We can't expect that again. We did a pretty good job in that game making him work and contesting his perimeter attempts. We absolutely have to do that again tonight.

I think the messages from the coaches about winning the next possession is exactly the approach needed. Be patient, make your plays and win this possession, whether on offense or defense, win this possession. Do this and they can win the game.

Could be Brogdon is thinking about that as well. Maybe GT can get in his head that he will have a hard game.

From SI.com's bubble watch

Georgia Tech vs. Virginia (ACC): The Yellow Jackets haven't been in the Bubble Watch lately, but a win over Clemson on Wednesday sets them up for a potential path to snag an unlikely bid. Doing so starts with beating the second-seeded Cavaliers, a tall order.

The underdogs have beaten the spread in 5 of the first 6 A.C.C.T. games with the underdogs winning outright last evening. I enjoyed seeing the Hokies getting a ridiculous 2.5 pts when the line opened for their game against the Noles and then absolutely loved watching it even more ridiculously grow to the Noles laying a whopping 5 pts. Laid one of my biggest wagers ever on the ML and the Hokies last night. Woohoo!

I think the 2 Techs getting 10 and 8 respectively tonight is more lunacy.

After last night, I feel compelled to play the Good Guys on the ML at +445. Let's get this one and keep hopes alive for an invite to the big dance! Have a look at the locker room last night - this group has some momentum behind them to be sure!

Goodbye Duke. Only 1 Carolina school left.

First semifinal tomorrow is set: Cheaters vs Irish. Go Irish!

I played ND +2 and over 155. Got lucky with the overtime helping me out. Woohoo!

Duke might make the Sweet 16. If they get matched up with an opponent who is good offensively, they could be bounced early. Duke plays very little defense - especially in the interior. Duke's chances ride on them getting red hot from outside the arc and just outscore teams.

Do any of you fellas ever lose a bet? No wonder stech81 is running around with a bunch of credit cards!

Before every one of you anoint the N.C. to our Jackets, let me remind you this is the same coach who passed late on Brogdon and coached the first 30 minutes of that game last night vs. the Tigers with a lake.

Glad to see the post-game celebrations for the past few games. Happy to see the team loves their coach. Sorry to be the keyboard of doom, he has let me down on the court one too many times. Maybe he gets the chance to win about 40 in a row in this conference and go over the .500 mark. I can't see it. Super glad for MGH, he deserves this run. Has proven he will play pro. ball somewhere in the universe. Could be a point, a two or a swing three on a larger team.

Still hoping we take these next one, two or three games. Glad you all are winning with the line. Toss me a cardboard cookie, if you will. Signed, "the broke one".

Enjoy the moment. For a change, we are playing meaningful games in March.

Also, I have my issues with Gregory but I'm not hanging us missing out on Brogdon on him. That's 100% on that buffoon, Blewitt.

Will enjoy it more when we are dancing! In what really counts in this decade. What we all need to see from him.

He gets equal blame, but in fairness admitted so much when I spoke to him face to face before he coached his first game here. Chasing that kid down in Marietta was a mistake. Yes, that was one Blewitt had a whole lot to do with too!

Understood. I share your frustration.

But, for now, the A.C.C.T. matters.

And, to that, I say....

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JACKETZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Hitting some shots. Looking good so far. Gotta keep the efficiency going offensively. Keep taking it right at 'em, Jackets. Nice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT