ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament thread

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
First round gets going Tuesday:

12pm - 12-seed NC State vs 13-seed Wake Forest
2:30pm - 11-seed FSU vs 14-seed Boston College

Tech's path to the championship Saturday night might look like this...

Wed - vs Clemson (split with them this season)
Thu - vs France (we beat them in only game this season)
Fri - Miami (lost to them by 7 at home) or Va Tech (lost to them by 1 at home) or unlikely FSU (beat them in Tally)

The tournament is wide open. All of the Carolina schools are on the same side of the bracket. Go Irish!

Last time Tech and Clemson met up in the ACCT was 2 years ago when the 6th seeded Orangenecks defeated our 11-seeded Jackets on Day 2 of the tournament, 69-65, in overtime. Tech defeated 14-seed BC the day before, also in overtime. I can see this game Wednesday night going to overtime or the last possession. In fact, after Day 1, I think we'll see a lot of games going down to the last possession.

Darkhorse: Virginia Tech...they are playing very well right now
Favorite: Cheaters

Last time a Carolina school won the tournament was 2011. 4 straight without them. Hoping it goes to 5 straight.

Opening point spreads FWIW for Tuesday's opening round doubleheader...

-NC State laying 4.5 vs Wake
-FSU laying 13 vs BC

*note, I expect Tech-Clemson to open as a Pick 'Em.

Jackets a darkhorse to make noise in DC?... http://www.dailypress.com/sports/vi...ournament-mens-hoops-0308-20160307-story.html

IS THERE A SURPRISE TEAM IN THE MIX?

It's never easy to pick a program to rise up out of nowhere to turn it on in the ACC tournament. In most cases, you're talking about a team that has struggled for much of the season needing to find the magic to win games against better competition for four or five consecutive days. A tall order, to say the least. Georgia Tech (18-13, 8-10), which is the No. 10 seed, is at least worth a flyer. Coach Brian Gregory, who at one point was on the hot seat), has led the Yellow Jackets to win in five of their last six games. They've beaten Virginia (68-64 on Jan. 9 in Atlanta). They've beaten Notre Dame when the Fighting Irish were ranked No. 19 in the nation (63-62 on Feb. 20 in Atlanta). They only lost by three at No. 11 Louisville on March 1. With experience in the backcourt and in the frontcourt, Georgia Tech has a shot to make some unexpected noise.

Jackets a darkhorse to make noise in DC?... http://www.dailypress.com/sports/vi...ournament-mens-hoops-0308-20160307-story.html

IS THERE A SURPRISE TEAM IN THE MIX?

It's never easy to pick a program to rise up out of nowhere to turn it on in the ACC tournament. In most cases, you're talking about a team that has struggled for much of the season needing to find the magic to win games against better competition for four or five consecutive days. A tall order, to say the least. Georgia Tech (18-13, 8-10), which is the No. 10 seed, is at least worth a flyer. Coach Brian Gregory, who at one point was on the hot seat), has led the Yellow Jackets to win in five of their last six games. They've beaten Virginia (68-64 on Jan. 9 in Atlanta). They've beaten Notre Dame when the Fighting Irish were ranked No. 19 in the nation (63-62 on Feb. 20 in Atlanta). They only lost by three at No. 11 Louisville on March 1. With experience in the backcourt and in the frontcourt, Georgia Tech has a shot to make some unexpected noise.

Georgia Tech absolutely has a shot to make some noise in the ACCT provided we stick with the rotation change that Gregory first implemented @FSU. Nobody wants a piece of this team right now...nobody. Here's to hoping the rotation adjustment (that came way too late) occurred with enough time on the calendar to save the season. I like our chances to win two here. Probably need three which is asking a lot, but the last thing Larranaga wants to see is a hungry GT team riding a wave of justified confidence.

We have the MEATS, the impetus. Not sure about the chemistry?

If Duke has to win four in four days, so do we. I like Meeammi, with Jimmy L. babbee!

Reactions: Texwood
I had my weekly call with stech81 yesterday. While he is in offseason burrito-eating fattening mode to be a good fan and make BDS look more full next fall, he and I brainstormed the following suggestions to CBG and staff to help the team excel at the A.C.C.T. In no particular odor...

1. Jump high
2. Dribble good
3. Make shots
4. Don't let the other team score
5. Don't foul (stech81 added: "but if you do, make it count")

This was just a start. If we get farther into the tournament, we may need to add more. We'll see.

Hopefully CBG listens to us. We know what we are talking about. After all, stech81 is Pre-Med.

A.C.C. Network affiliates carrying the G.T.-Clemson game... http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-tourney-coverage-game-5-03-09-2016

ESPN-2 will also televise the game and blackout restrictions may be in force though if you have access to an A.C.C. Network affiliate. I prefer the A.C.C. Network broadcasts because the announcers are far more tied into the conference than the ESPN guys normally.

6. Show up(I think that is one of stech81's preambles for all events). Of course if 1 through 5 already occurred, "quitting or leaving the court" would be the next concern.

Do you really think we are going to beat the Tigers with a lake?
My cousin Gussie did a reading on the Tournament. She said take the convicts over the class nerds.

Well, what kind of roll or not that you are on doesn't always project to what will happen in the 3rd season (season 1 = pre conference, season 2 = conference, season 3 = conference tourney, season 4 = NCAAT or MET if you are in it...which we haven't been in 6 years).

Having said that, there is no question that Tech has been playing better ball of late than the Kitty Cats. Tech has won 5 of our last 6. Clemson has lost 3 of their last 4 (including one to us) and the lone win was over hapless BC.

Our win over the Orangenecks at our place a two weeks ago took a turn when MGH was directed to guard Blossomgame. Blossomgame schooled us in the first half and was on pace for a 40-pt type of scoring game. MGH did a significant job slowing him down in the second half. If MGH doesn't score a single point tomorrow, but can pull a similar defensive showing, I bet CBG will take that in a heartbeat. While Clemson certainly has other options who can and will do well, I think CBG will take his chances of our "other 4" against their "other 4" if MGH can neutralize Blossomgame.

I expect a lot of Hokies in the DC Arena Wednesday night, FWIW. A ton of Hokies alums in the DC metro area and of course in bordering Virginia. No Carolina schools playing in Wednesday night's session (read: will sell tickets). Likely will be GT-Clemson & VaTech-FSU. Looks more like a foosball Final 4 in the A.C.C.

That FSU draw as an 11 seed looks like the easiest path for a lower seed to possibly make a run all the way to Friday. Wouldn't have minded that set up for us.

I do like V.T. as a sleeper, to make a tiny run until Miami on Thursday.
Dah U is my pick for all the marbles.
Tigers will beat Tech, hate to even think of it. Especially when their A.D. is better than ours!

Handicapping the A.C.C.T....

...just one idiot's view of how I expect things to go...

Tuesday
Game 1 - The Pack will defeat the Deacs as Cat Barber makes the plays down the stretch. A Deacs win won't surprise me. Whoever wins this game will be beaten by Rutgers-Durham on Wednesday.
Game 2 - FSU will steamroll a BC team who is just looking to get this miserable season over with.

Wednesday
Game 3 - Pitt defeated Syracuse twice this season (and both times by double digit margins). They say it is difficult to beat a team 3 times in the same season. I dunno about that. The loser of this game finds itself very nervous come late Sunday afternoon when the NCAAT is unveiled. Both teams limp into this game as Pitt has lost 3 of its last 4 and Cuse has lost 4 of its last 5. I'll go with the Panthers doing the hat trick and advancing though not by a double digit margin this time.
Game 4 - Rutgers-Durham should have no problem with either the Pack or Wake coming off their Tuesday game. I think the folks in New Jersey would rather face the Deacs.
Game 5 - I like the Jackets now with the right rotations being deployed. This game will go down to the final buzzer and may be decided in overtime.
Game 6 - I've established the Hokies as my darkhorse in this tournament. And, I think they'll take care of the Noles in a very pro-VPI&SU crowd.

Thursday
Game 7 - The Cheaters should have no problem defeating Pitt (or Cuse).
Game 8 - NOOOOOW is when the tournament really starts getting good, IMO. #5 Rutgers-Durham facing the defending champs in #4 Ireland (or Italy if you'd rather). The Irish defeated the Hitler Youth in New Jersey earlier this season. Both teams come in having gone 3-3 in their last 6 games. This one will go down to the final buzzer and I expect Rutgers to get the close win this time around.
Game 9 - The French will remember that the Jackets defeated them earlier this season during the French's worst stretch of the season. That Jackets team however was not nearly as good as these days either. So, I expect a hard fought close low-scoring game. It will come down to whether Tech can make shots. If we do, we pull the upset. If we don't, the French advance. I think the French will advance in a disappointing, but respectable, loss for the Good Guys.
Game 10 - Hokies vs Miami...the Hokies just pounded the Canes this past Saturday in the Southwest Virginy Cow Pastures. I think they stay on a roll and set up an All-Moonshine-Commonwealth semifinal Friday night.

Friday
Game 11 - The semifinals of the A.C.C.T. are special. And this year, it will be even more special because you'll have 2 significant rivalry games taking place back-to-back for all to see. The Cheaters facing the Hitler Youth for the 3rd time this season. They split the season series with each winning on the other's home court. I think this time around the Cheaters will again exploit the Rutgers' lack of defense inside the paint and gain the close win that will be decided late as normal.
Game 12 - The French and Hokies each defended their home courts this season against one another. Now, they head to nearby DC to determine who gets to the A.C.C.T. championship game Saturday night. I like the French...barely. I think their experience will pay off down the stretch and make just a few more critical plays than the younger Hokies, but this will be close and a Hokies win will not surprise me at all.

Saturday
Championship - Cheaters vs French...2 best teams in the A.C.C. and both are being touted as #1 overall seeds in the NCAAT by Joe Lunardi at espn.com. It's been a drought by their very high cheating standards in winning the A.C.C.T. for the Cheaters. I think they get it done and revenge their loss in their lone matchup against the French in Gay Paris earlier this season.

There you have it. Now that I've laid it all out there, you can expect the Hokies to be crushed in their first game, the Cheaters will not win it all, and Clemson to end Tech's season. ;)

A question. Will the Hitler Youth be scheduling a journey this summer to Germany for some Summer Gangs, I mean Games?

Do they fly out of Piscataway?

That FSU draw as an 11 seed looks like the easiest path for a lower seed to possibly make a run all the way to Friday. Wouldn't have minded that set up for us.
I was thinking that GT getting the ten spot would help, but the match-ups just are not as good as what FSU has. That's the way it works out.

Go Jackets! let's beat these Tigers!

Reactions: rschlee11
History tidbits...

...the A.C.C.T. has been played in the DC metro area 4 times previously. The first 3 times in Landover, Maryland, the most recent time in 2005 in D.C.

Here are the results...

1976: Wally Walker led the French as a 6-seed to come out of nowhere and beat the 3-seed NC State, 2-seed Terps, and 1-seed Cheaters on consecutive days to win the French's first title which stood as their ONLY title up until 2 years ago when they finally won it again for the 2nd time in the tournament's 60+ years.

(note, Clemson has never won the A.C.C.T.)

1981: Sam Perkins was the MVP as the Cheaters defeated Lefty's Twerps by 1 point

1987: Vinny Del Negro led Jimmy V's bunch to a title over the Cheaters for Jimmy V's 2nd and last title

2005: Rutgers-Durham got a lot of help as usual from the refs with some phantom calls to help that Nazi, JJ Redick, the tournament MVP, defeat the Yellow Jackets by 5 in the title game

More history tidbits...

...last time the Cheaters won the A.C.C.T. was in 2008. They've played in the championship game 4 of the last 5 years and lost them all.

The title winner has been a non-Carolina based team for each of the last 4 seasons - FSU, Miami, UVA, Notre Dame. Prior to that run, only once has the title been won in consecutive seasons by non-Carolina based programs. Maryland won it in '84 in Greensboro and Tech won it in '85 at the Omni in Atlanta.

Rutgers-Durham has won 10 of the last 17 tournaments.

Note, the A.C.C.T. moves to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the next 2 years ('17 & '18) before heading to Charlotte in '19 and then back home to Greensboro in '20.

NC State up 5 with just less than 3 minutes left. Trying to hang on and get to Wednesday still alive.

Jackets open as 2 pt underdogs Wednesday vs Clemson. Also, Syracuse and Pitt open as a Pick 'Em.

Side note, the Fighting Mark Prices open as a 5-pt favorite versus Rice in the second round of the Conference USA Tournament in Birmingham Wednesday night. Charlotte is 13-18 overall and finished 9-9 in the conference which was 7th. Not bad considering they opened their schedule with a 2-9 record. They've won 3 of their last 4 including a 13 pt win at Rice last Thursday.

OK thanks, BaJ.

A few thoughts...

1. I never said anything about Miami struggling.
2. Miami isn't struggling.
3. What I did say was... "the Hokies just pounded the Canes this past Saturday in the Southwest Virginy Cow Pastures. I think they stay on a roll and set up an All-Moonshine-Commonwealth semifinal Friday night."

So you are stating VPI might make Coral Gables Cobbler out of those Sugar Canes on Quarterfinal Thursday?

I'll bet you a Black Cow Sundae against it. It will be nip and tuck though(Farming speak).

OK thanks, BaJ.

A few thoughts...

1. I never said anything about Miami struggling.
2. Miami isn't struggling.
3. What I did say was... "the Hokies just pounded the Canes this past Saturday in the Southwest Virginy Cow Pastures. I think they stay on a roll and set up an All-Moonshine-Commonwealth semifinal Friday night."
That sounds like a statement of Miami is struggling, since they finished 2nd in the regular season and won't win a single game in the ACC tournament?

yeah, that sounds like a statement of a team struggling to me...

I don't think the Hokies are that hot right now.

The Hokies have won 5 straight. Last loss was 3 weeks ago. Sounds rather hot to me. To each his own I guess.

Buzz Williams is a fine coach. Wish we had hired him. They are a decent team, peaking at the right time. My issue with them hinges on how much more is possible in the future? If he hits a 25 win season, say bye-bye to Buzzy.

Their situation is improbable. Location? History of the program? Other than Wardell Curry or Adam Smith, I have to think about who played in Blacksburg? Location? oh yeah, what's in that town? Moo. Vetinary Medicine.

But you live up there and are of sound mind. I would not bet more than ice cream against you. Heck, I told Stech we might upset UGAly in football. Guaranteed a UNCheat win. That is why gambling doesn't interest me. Takes all the fun out of the game, watching the ball bounce in different directions.

Buzz Williams is a fine coach. Wish we had hired him. They are a decent team, peaking at the right time. My issue with them hinges on how much more is possible in the future? If he hits a 25 win season, say bye-bye to Buzzy.

Their situation is improbable. Location? History of the program? Other than Wardell Curry or Adam Smith, I have to think about who played in Blacksburg? Location? oh yeah, what's in that town? Moo. Vetinary Medicine.

But you live up there and are of sound mind. I would not bet more than ice cream against you. Heck, I told Stech we might upset UGAly in football. Guaranteed a UNCheat win. That is why gambling doesn't interest me. Takes all the fun out of the game, watching the ball bounce in different directions.

Williams has signed 4 4-star recruits in his short time. He has been helped tremendously by the transfer also of Seth Allen from Maryland. Their strong season this year has been without Ahmed Hill (4-star guard out of Augusta that we wanted badly). He will return next year as a redshirt soph having missed this entire season due to a foot injury he suffered just before practices started in September.

We'll see what they do this week. May fall completely on their faces. Regardless, he has a very young team that overachieved significantly this year. They have just 1 senior on this year's roster and he only gets 9 minutes a game. Going 10-8 and getting a 6-seed is nothing to sneeze at. Comparatively speaking, going over .500 in the ACC is something we've done just once in the last 19 years. We have to go back to 2007 to find an A.C.C.T. where we were a 6-seed or better (we were a 6-seed and lost that overtime marathon to 11-seed Wake Forest in a one-and-done appearance at Tampa).

All I have to say about Buzz's Turkey Buzzards is that I'm kicking myself for backing out of a ML wager on them against Da U last weekend (congrats again on that score, GTJT). The Hokies got a really good'un in Buzz. I'm in utter disbelief that VPISU's basketball program is on an infinitely more desirable trajectory than ours. WTF?

Early money coming in on the Jackets as the line has moved down to Clemson favored by 1.

Looking back at the preseason media A.C.C. projections and where they actually finished...

1 UNC - 1 (Even)
2 France - 2 (Even)
3 Duke - 6 (-3 spots)
4 Notre Dame - 5 (-1)
5 Miami - 3 (+2)
6 FSU - 12 (-6)
7 UofL - 4 (+3)
8 NC State - 13 (-5)
9 Syracuse - 10 (-1)
10 Pitt - 9 (-1)
11 Wake - 14 (-3)
12 Clemson - 8 (+4)
13 Ga Tech - 11 (+2)
14 Va Tech - 7 (+7)
15 BC - 15 (Even)

Versus preseason projections, the obvious underachievers are FSU and NC State. The overachievers are Va Tech and Clemson. Nice to see G.T. as an "over"achiever versus preseason projections for a change...something we have done very little of since our magical '04 season.

Maybe VPI can beat Miami again. I suspect Larranaga will have a different plan this time. I think the Miami players will be more focused. But you may be right VPI may be on a roll.

Which coach do you like better Larranaga or Williams?

Green Bay won the Horizon title last night and is now dancing. We beat them by 30 back before Turkey Day. Aaron Rodgers was on fire I've heard.

Larranaga is probably going to retire soon. Williams might look at Ga. Tech as a lateral move or Heaven forbid, a step down.

Pittsburgh won the first game of the day 72-71. So far all the higher seeds have won.

NCSU is hanging close with Duke, actually leading much of the game. I'd love for them to win this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT