ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS The latest on Josh Pastner and GT 3/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Don't expect much news over the next 72 hours. I've been told by multiple sources that the ACC like most leagues wants schools to hold off on formal announcements until after Selection Sunday.

J Batt has this pretty buttoned-up. I talked to high-level sources who indicated I might know before they do, these people typically know everything going on. One said it was 50/50 and another said they expect unless Pastner blows his meeting with Batt for Pastner to remain the coach. How President Cabrera fits into this as well, I'm not sure. I know he likes Pastner. The only way I see Batt making a change right now is if HE HAS SOMEONE HE WANTS ready to go.

Per my sources, Batt spent much of the ACC Tournament talking to people around the league to get a feel for where GT sits in terms of facilities, money and other factors as he aims to get a gauge for the work that needs to be done to build a sustainable winning program. That last part is the key to all of this. Batt is a sharp guy and he is aiming to build something that will be successful long-term in each of the major sports, not just making moves to make moves, but positioning the program for long-term success. One source I spoke to told me that Batt is the first person to truly grasp what is needed to be done at GT to be successful in sports and has the desire to actually work and fix it. That person said that they finally think GT has hired the right person for AD after screwing it up multiple times. Batt seems to be in it for the long term instead of just being a climber or a lifer.

I had a very solid basketball insider source who told me a few days ago that Stanford coach Jerod Haase and Pastner were both safe. Stanford announced last night that Haase will be retained.

Pastner and his assistants are working on portal targets.

On the NIL thing, they apparently have money committed and in place and are working to raise more. That was an immediate focus for Batt and his staff once he got in place.

Tech's troubles with support and the academic hurdles are well-known in coaching circles and multiple potential targets expressed disinterest in the job prior to Pastner's late run as well.

The one thing I can tell you is Batt has a plan and he knows what needs to be done to win having helped Nate Oats get there. He is playing a long game not just making changes to appease angry fans if the program isn't positioned to get the type of coach he wants. I'm sure he learned a lot through the football coaching search.

This isn't the job that it was when Paul Hewitt was hired.

Right now GT is at the bottom of the ACC in staff pay, last in NIL payouts and needs a new locker room and some updates in the facilities department. Football is on a much better footing with all of these things and now is the time where Batt has to fix the hoops part and Pastner if he stays has to win and has to adjust things quicker to win as well and recruit what he needs via the portal or he will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.