ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Period(s)for Spring, 2016& Potpouri

What do you think about an extra week of rest for the final four teams?
If we ever get that far, I like the "hype time or recovery for rosters that are thin". Not so much for momentum. For me, either way is fine-however my vote would have it tabled, while remaining as is.

Reactions: stech81
Not a fan of the extra week of rest. Might they just move everything back a week? That is, start the WBB NCAAT a week after MBB. It may cause some issues with scheduling the conference tournaments though.

For instance, if you moved the WBB ACCT back a week, it competes directly at the same time with the MBB ACCT and I can't see the ACC doing that. If you leave the WBB ACCT as-is (the week before the MBB ACCT), then there are not 2 weeks between ACCT games and start of NCAAT as is now, but it would then move to 3 weeks between and I can't see the coaches liking that at all. Same for the other power conferences like SEC who do the same as the ACC.

It really begs for WBB to instead of doing their Final 4 a week after the Men to moving it to a week before, However, it (WBB Final 4) is then competing with MBB Sweet 16 and Elite 8 weekend and that won't provide the exclusivity they are desiring. No real good solution I guess.

It's about time WBB realizes it has a niche fan support and the vast majority of MBB fans who don't care about WBB (and that's a huge percentage I'd guess) aren't going to turn the TV's on to watch the WBB Final 4 a week after in an exclusive time slot anymore than they are doing today.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Did not know, potpourri...

Dozens of Atlanta students offered full scholarships to Georgia Tech

Updated on 07/10/2016 at 02:07:15 Dozens of Atlanta students offered full scholarships to Georgia Tech Georgia Tech has offered admission and full-scholarships to students from every Atlanta high school. It’s part of a two-year old partnership between Atlanta Public Schools and Georgia Tech under which all Atlanta valedictorians and salutatorians receive
read more at Atlanta Journal Constitution ...

Thanks for posting that. I like it. Should be extended throughout the state, IMO.

Men's non-conference hoops schedule:

11/05/16 vs. Shorter (exhibition) # McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
11/11/16 vs. Tennessee Tech McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
11/18/16 vs. Ohio McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
11/22/16 vs. Sam Houston State McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
11/26/16 vs. Tulane McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
11/29/16 at Penn State (ACC/Big Ten Challenge) Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pa. TBA
12/03/16 at Tennessee Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
12/07/16 at VCU Siegel Center, Richmond, Va. TBA
12/18/16 vs. Alcorn State McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
12/20/16 vs. Georgia McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
12/22/16 vs. Wofford McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA
12/28/16 vs. North Carolina A&T McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. TBA

Good luck to Herrion. Seems like a super good guy and he's a good coach as well. Sorry it didn't work out better than it did when he was at Tech. Certainly, I don't think it was from a lack of trying by him or Gregory for that matter.

Cameron Swartz, WBB
GUARD
CLASS: 2018
SCOUTS GRADE

Marietta, GA
HOMETOWN
Fellowship Christian
HIGH SCHOOL
5-10
HEIGHT

WEIGHT

OVERALL RANK
POSITION RANK
STATUS
Undeclared
CONSIDERING
Colorado Buffaloes, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Wake Forest Demon Deacons
ESPN PLAYER EVALUATIONSEvaluationOn The TrailConversation
John Lucas 40/40-September 2015: Agile off-guard handles and attacks in uptempo game; triple-threat creator displays soft touch in mid-range game, range to the arc. (Olson)

Comedic potpourri:
The U.S. Rowing team is set to wear sewage-proof suits at the Rio Olympics. They could become standard wear for the front row, when Trump and Clinton debate this fall.

Olympic Beach Volleyball had a foot wash up on the venue in Rio de Janeiro. If that wasn't bad enough, the foot tested positive for steroids.

And something is wrong with U.S. Basketball when the Olympics are about to begin, and our Dream Team is in Oakland.

More potpourri...

...a blast from the past...

...Vad Lee signed last week with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Canadian Football League. He made his debut last night getting 1 carry for 0 yards. The SR starting QB, Mitchell Gale (Abilene Christian U.), in his first career start, went 21 of 36 thru the air for 354 yards and a TD in their 30-29 win.

Good for Vad. He's a good guy.

A good local article on the homegrown Van Gunst twins... http://fayette-news.com/van-gunst-twins-dominate-for-yellow-jacket-volleyball/

With essentially the entire roster back and a starting unit loaded with seniors - including an All-American candidate in TVG - Coach Collier really has a season set up to see what this program can be capable of in terms of achievement. Losing all these seniors after this upcoming season, expectations will drop some in 2017 understandably. But, if we can't get it done this fall (read: get to the NCAAT) with the roster we have now, it will raise a lot of question marks in my eyes. Having said that, thinking positively and optimistically, I think the Volleybees are primed for a 20+ win season and an upper-third finish in the ACC...that *should* at minimum be enough to get us on the NCAAT bubble.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I expect to make the NCAA T. and win our conference for the regular season.

Is the ACC the only one without a tourney?

Highly respected long-time ACC Hoops writer, Barry Jacobs, pens an article about CJP... http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article91343787.html

“For me, it’s a blessing,” Pastner said of picking up the pieces in Atlanta, “and I pinch myself and I don’t take it for granted.”

Pastner volunteered that a last-place finish in 2016-17 is a distinct possibility. “I’m OK with all that,” the coaching wunderkind said of rekindling the Tech torch. “My thinking is, it’s a great opportunity. This is a rebuild.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT