ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Recruiting Roundup 8/2

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
The fallout from the official offers thing is a real thing. Syracuse turned down a 3-star RB commit yesterday from Virginia setting off a nice sized crap storm for their new HC.

GT made the top 6 for DL Chris Whittaker along with some other programs in and out of state.

QB target Malik Willis may be close to flipping from VaTech. I've heard some rumblings from some of the commits that he is on the edge of committing to GT. I know the family wants him here and GT is going to give him a real shot at QB versus just some reps which is all Fuente promised and GT is closer to home and better academically. I heard when he committed to VaTech that it was more of a placeholder deal because he wanted to make sure he had somewhere to go in the P5. Willis could blow up this Fall at his new school so that might make things more interesting or not, a lot of schools are really full.

Speaking of fullness, GT has a little bit of a pickle at LB with Kendric Haynes, Leonard Warner and Malik Robinson (UNC commit) who all have serious GT interest right now. Warner is the closest to committing, but GT also has Bruce Jordan-Swilling sitting there as well. Haynes didn't get the written offers he was expecting namely SC and LSU and he has strong family connections in Atlanta. Warner is really torn on the UGA thing and Stanford and Ohio State are monkeying around with him as well trying to wedge in the mix and get an OV. Robinson should be available later because I'm fairly certain Larry Fedora will be coaching somewhere else in 2017 (likely TAMU or Baylor). I've heard he is tired of UNC and being second banana to King Roy.

Cortez Alston landed his official offer along with a few other kids we noted in the thread from yesterday. I still think GT is the backup plan for Alston.

Look for some new names at DT as well in the coming weeks. It doesn't look like GT sent an official offer to Travon Mathis yet either, his best other offer is Purdue right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.