ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Recruiting Buzz 1/16

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
As Chad Simmons reported earlier today, Huffman (Ala.) DL Mike Lockhart is visiting this weekend.

He will be joined by Nazir Burnett, the WR from Pennsylvania who Collins went and saw last Sunday. Burnett is a former Syracuse commit. Several schools on the west coast are working to try to get him on campus either next weekend, or the one following.

Fla. TE Brett Seither hosted Georgia Tech coaches on Tuesday at his school, and said that the visit went well. He heads to Georgia this weekend, and depending on who you talk to around his recruitment, they seem to be gaining ground fast.

I fully expect Jordan Yates to gain his fourth star tomorrow. A well deserved one, for sure.

German DL Joseph Darkwa got a visit from Geoff Collins today. He caught up (briefly) with me about it:

"It was AMAZING," Darkwa said about the visit. "He told me everything he possibly could about Georgia Tech, and what really stood out to me and my parents was the graduation rate."

Darkwa's parents, though they plan on staying in Germany, are a key factor in his decision to say the least.

"To be honest, they're probably the biggest factor."

Darkwa was previously scheduled to visit Virginia this weekend. That trip will no longer take place. After flying 24+ hours to UCLA and back last week, Darkwa and his family are looking to limit the visits as much as they can.

Will he visit Georgia Tech following Geoff's trip to Germany?

"I'm about 99 percent sure."

Also on the defensive side of the ball, Tech went and saw three-star Tenn. LB Chris Russell on Tuesday, and from what I have been told, that visit went well. Should have more on him soon.

Spanish Fort (Ala.) CB D.J. James has been committed to Mississippi State for quite some time, but chose not to sign early. Since then, he's seen his stock sky-rocket, as Oregon, Nebraska, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Iowa are all fighting for the last two visits.

Georgia Tech saw him on Wednesday, and as you read this are in his house, trying to secure one of the last official visits.

They've got plenty of other CB's on their radar, though.

Pine Forest (Fla.) Martin Emerson, also committed to Mississippi State at this moment, received a visit from Georgia Tech on Wednesday. The staff is working to get a visit from him as well, and are also evaluating Taajhir McCall and John Gill from the same school.

2020 Hapeville Charter's Tajiri Smith is another to keep an eye on, as the staff stopped by the school there today too. 2021 DE Zavier Carter will likely have an offer before too long, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I mentioned Kerry Dixon was a really good recruiter when he was first hired, but it appears after talking to some HS coaches in Florida, that I may have understated that.

"That's the main man up there at Georgia Tech," one of them said. "It's about to get dangerous that way."

The following prospects received offers today:

Spanish Fort (Ala.) CB D.J. James

Miami (Fla.) Central CB Henry Gray
Southridge (Fla.) ATH Marcus Fleming
Griffin DL Damarjhe Lewis
German WR Roberto Miranda
English CB Jairo Faverus
Columbus (Fla.) ATH Xzavier Henderson

Booker T. Washington (Fla.) WR JaCorey Brooks
Booker T. Washington (Fla.) DE Donell Harris
Northwestern (Fla.) WR Romello Brinson
Miami Central (Fla.) RB Amari Daniels
Miami (Fla.) Palmetto ATH Jason Marshall Jr.
Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) RB Armoni Goodwin

Westlake (Ga.) DE Horace Lockett

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News