ADVERTISEMENT

(Non-GT)Atlanta Braves Baseball....new beginnings

Exactly what we need. Visions of the past:
Braves Acquire Eric O’Flaherty From Pirates
By Zach Links | March 27, 2016 at 10:15am CDT

10:15am: The Pirates have confirmed the swap via press release. In exchange for O’Flaherty, the Bucs will receive cash considerations.

9:50am: The Braves have acquired left-hander Eric O’Flaherty from the Pirates, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). O’Flaherty inked a minor league deal with the Pirates in February and, roughly six weeks later, his Pittsburgh stint is over. There is no word yet on what the Pirates will receive in return. However, Atlanta probably didn’t give up much in the deal as they satisfied their need for a southpaw in the bullpen. Eric O'Flaherty (vertical)

The deal brings O’Flaherty back to the organization where he has enjoyed his best seasons. From 2009 through 2013, the reliever posted a stellar 1.99 ERA, though it came with less impressive rates of 7.2 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9. In a limited sample size of 20 innings in 2014, the lefty posted a 2.25 ERA with 6.8 K/9 against 1.8 BB/9. Could a return to Atlanta mark a return to strong pitching for the 31-year-old? He’s hoping that will be the case after a turbulent 2015, his first full season back from Tommy John surgery.

The veteran began the 2015 season with the A’s before an August trade shipped him to the Mets. In 25 games for Oakland, O’Flaherty pitched to a 5.91 ERA with 6.3 K/9 and 5.5 BB/9. Things dipped even further from there in his 8 and 2/3 innings for the Mets as he allowed 13 runs with only 6 strikeouts and 5 walks.

John Schuerholz Steps Down As Braves President
By Mark Polishuk | March 31, 2016 at 7:18am CDT

Longtime Braves executive John Schuerholz will step down from his role as the club’s president into the newly-created role of Vice Chairman, as announced per a Braves media release. Executive vice presidents Mike Plant and Derek Schiller, both with the team since 2003, will step in under the new titles of president of development (Plant) and president of business (Schiller).

Stepping down as president allows the 75-year-old Schuerholz to escape some of the day-to-day business associated with the job, though he tells MLB.com’s Mark Bowman that he’ll certainly continue to be involved with the Braves.

“There is so much joy to me to be a part of this great game,” Schuerholz said. “I love it. It’s not a chore for me to come into the office. It’s not a chore for me to go to my work. But I keep being reminded by my lovely wife that I’m doing too much of that grinding and working on holidays and so on and so forth. That’s how I am. It’s not work for me.”

As he enters his 51st season working in pro baseball, Schuerholz has had one of the most decorated careers of any executive in the game. After breaking into the business working for his hometown Orioles, he joined the expansion Royals’ front office in 1969 and assumed many roles over the next 21 years with the team, including serving as general manager from 1981-1990 (a stint that included a World Series title in 1985). He took over as the Braves’ GM in October 1990 and the club proceeded to go on a historic run of success.

In Schuerholz’s stint as GM from 1991-2007, the Braves won an incredible 14 straight NL East titles, a streak interrupted only by the 1994 strike season. The highlight of that run was the 1995 World Series championship, making Schuerholz part of the very short list of executives to build World Series winners with two different franchises. Schuerholz stepped away from GM duties after the 2007 season to become Atlanta’s club president.

The Braves have announced their Opening Day roster. The Braves were already in MLBTR’s pages today as they designated Michael Bourn and Emilio Bonifacio for assignment and selected the contracts of Drew Stubbs and Alexi Ogando. In addition, they reassigned Jhoulys Chacin to Triple-A Gwinnett. The idea, via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (on Twitter), is that he’ll make one start there and then join the Braves when they need a fifth starter, which should be April 12. Notable names who made the team include righty Dan Winkler, a 2014 Rule 5 pick, along with rookie righties Jose Ramirez and John Gant.

This just in...

...breaking news...

...Freddie Freeman can still knock the ever living crap out of a baseball.

Rock Horns

We have the second lowest payroll in baseball, right at 69 m.

Still have a few veteran pieces other teams want. Markakis, Tehran, Grilli, Jim Johnson, Aybar, Enciarte, Olivera, A.J.

Braves are now on pace to go 0-162.

But, on the bright side, Freeman and Garcia are on pace to combine for 324 homers this season.

SOB's...same old Braves.

Braves are now on pace to go 0-162.

But, on the bright side, Freeman and Garcia are on pace to combine for 324 homers this season.

SOB's...same old Braves.
They will win one game this year. But if you look at the standing tomorrow that will be the closest they will be from 1st.

Noticed one of the experts said the Braves went from having the third worst farm system in baseball to having the best within one year.

Noticed one of the experts said the Braves went from having the third worst farm system in baseball to having the best within one year.

Do they (Braves farm) grow beer in the ground, on a tree, a vine?

A positive I just noticed for the Braves that stech81 and I certainly appreciate...

...our game 2 starter tomorrow night is named after a beer. Nice!

(looking for rays of sunshine)

The Braves have sought a pre-arbitration bat that they can insert into the middle portion of their lineup in trade talks for right-hander Julio Teheran, writes ESPN’s Jim Bowden in an early rundown of some potential 2016 trade candidates. The Cubs were an oft-cited potential trade partner for the Braves this offseason, and Bowden again lists them as a speculative fit, noting that either Jorge Soler or Javier Baez could hold appear. Of course, in addition to the fact that it’s extremely rare for trades of that magnitude to occur in April, the Cubs are also still waiting to learn the full extent of Kyle Schwarber’s left leg injury. (A prolonged absence for Schwarber would make it more difficult for Chicago to part with Soler.) Nonetheless, it’s worth keeping in mind as the season wears on; Teheran is controlled through 2019 for a total of $29.6MM, and his contract includes a $12MM club option for the 2020 season.

What a flub this young season is so far. In 3 games we have 17 hits - all singles except for a HR each by Freeman and Garcia. Less than 6 hits/game and almost all singles. Pitching hasn't been horribly bad, it's just not good. For all the pitchers we acquired last season, I did expect better there. I don't expect them to hit much better, regardless of Chipper's presence.

Dan Winkler taken to hospital. Fractured elbow. Out indefinetly.

They say you are going to win 50, lose 50, it's what you do with the other 62 games.
At 0-5 miserably, I'm awaiting the first 50?

I'm still going with 1-161

I was going to make a joke about that 1 being the day Fredi Gonzalez missed the game for some reason, but even I (someone who thinks he's been in his job for far too long) am feeling a little sorry for the guy nowadays. Well, some. I mean, he's still employed and making a nice living. Certainly, there is no pressure because everybody expects the team to suck...and, they are doing well at meeting expectations so far. But, to not even be given a chance as the organization flushes another season in hopes of being good down the road isn't much fun in the here and now. Same for the fans of course, but we have an option whether to pay any attention to this severe case of diarrhea. That guy has to actually show up, travel for this, and talk about it to the media.

I think I just talked myself into something positive...this is his penance for sucking so bad a few years ago when he really did have the roster to win bigger like he should have.

*SIGH*

Ted Simmons is back in the organization. Would love to see what he could do as a Manager. As a catcher that called a good game, brought a big stick to the plate, you have major components in place to succeed.

Anyone remember what Huizenga did to the Marlins after they won it all in 1997? He sold everyone off and they sucked - first to suck in 6 months because they traded away all their talent. They didn't bring in sucky talent, just young talent. They were good again in a few years later, but they went 54-108 the seasons following. i bet we beat that.

so far this thread looks like it is subtitled correctly.

compared to last season, early season about 2 less hits per game, but about the same # of runs scored per game. So they are being a little more productive with the hits. Actually have had 3 HRs so far which is just behind the number of HRs per game as last year.

pitching is a different story, ERA is 6.65 2 points worse than last seasons 4.41. bothe WHIP and AVG are up as well. Pitching is definitely the early season difference. UUGGGLLLLLYYYYY.

so far this thread looks like it is subtitled correctly.

compared to last season, early season about 2 less hits per game, but about the same # of runs scored per game. So they are being a little more productive with the hits. Actually have had 3 HRs so far which is just behind the number of HRs per game as last year.

pitching is a different story, ERA is 6.65 2 points worse than last seasons 4.41. bothe WHIP and AVG are up as well. Pitching is definitely the early season difference. UUGGGLLLLLYYYYY.

Yet they gave away every talented and marketable player on the big club except Freeman for pitchers. Just saying...

With all due respects to that great American and the next Prime Minister of The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Top10B, I give you the Top 10 benefits to a really bad 2016 Braves season...

10. Don't have to worry about the 2nd half or September collapse.

9. You get your own personal beer vendor (like my Field Dorm buddies and I did when were students at Ma Tech 30+ years ago and watched 100-loss teams at old AFCS). He'll come down and sit with you and then go up and get you a beer when needed.

8. You can play fun games to pass the time like chug a beer every time a Brave strikes out or makes an error. You'll be wasted by the 2nd inning.

7. At home games, there's plenty of room to spread out. And, if you fall asleep or pass out drunk, nobody will notice...or care. In fact, you won't be alone.

6. Your kids get to experience what you experienced when you were their age. You can reminisce about sucky seasons from the past. I'm already doing this with my son (who has pretty much only known the Braves as being good to very good). I'm enjoying these 7 words a lot nowadays when talking about the sucky Braves... "well, back when I was your age..."

5. Hey, there's a chance the Braves Marketing geniuses will bring back Chuck Tanner's "A-B-C Baseball" campaign and put it all over Atlanta like they once did. It was code for "We Don't Stand A Freakin' Chance".

4. The Braves saved a lot of money on NOT printing up a bunch of flyers saying "THIS COULD BE THE YEAR". Unless of course we are talking about record number of losses.

3. It's a good year to really suck and not pay any attention with the Olympics, Republican and Democratic Conventions, Copa America Soccer Tournament, Tech's Road to Omaha, and other events happening between June and August this year. Further, less distraction to when football heats up in August...and I'm sure I get an amen from stech81 when I say no other sports really matter once August finally gets here.

2. Less fans at home games leads to shorter lines in the bathrooms at the Ted as well as shorter lines at food joints, less traffic near and around the stadium, and more money being distributed elsewhere in the Atlanta area like on hookers and blow.

and...

1. Spoiled young Braves fans who have never experienced extended crap seasons may now avoid taking playoff appearances for granted - same applies to spoiled young Tech FB fans who whine, moan, complain, and beyatch about those "awful" 7-win seasons...maybe last year gave them a new definition of what a crap season really is.

It just pains me to hear the obnoxious visiting fans on the TV, couldn't they just kill the crowd noise when the opposing team scores?

I beginning to think GT baseball team win more total games this year then the Braves.

John Schuerholz Steps Down As Braves President
By Mark Polishuk | March 31, 2016 at 7:18am CDT

Longtime Braves executive John Schuerholz will step down from his role as the club’s president .

could it be that he didn't want this season on his list of accomplishments?

Anybody know what the Braves record for consecutive losses to open a season is?

No, I am not sure. Can't imagine it was worse than this counting Boston and Milwaukee Braves. The '76 Braves had a 13 gamer, but started 8-5. The '77 Braves started in April like 1 1/2 games back then lost 16 in a row. Turner tried to manage for a game, 0-1.

Torre and the Boys started 1982 with 13 wins in a row. I remember visiting my Mom and Sister in Pompano Beach and turning the channel on them to watch it happen.

I think the '88 Orioles lost over 20 games consecutively. Must be the record.

Braves right-hander Daniel Winkler, who fractured his right elbow over the weekend, will see Dr. James Andrews tomorrow, tweets Mark Bowman of MLB.com. Bowman notes that the early indication is that Winkler’s surgically repaired ulnar collateral ligament was not damaged in the injury, though he’ll meet with the renowned Dr. Andrews to ascertain that fact. Even if his UCL is intact, Winkler seems likely to be facing another prolonged absence in the wake of the new injury.

Will a Braves pinch hitter ever make contact with the ball??? WOW 0-9 so far this season for the pinch hitters.

I was impressed with Chacin - 0 runs, 5 hits and 8 Ks in 6 innings. I was torn when he made the move to pinch hit for him....

Just out of morbid curiosity, I checked to see what the Braves' Grapefruit League record was this spring since I paid zero attention to them in March and have paid about 2 minutes of attention to them since opening day. Our lads went 6-20 in Florida MEG's. Now 0-8 in the regular season.

I NEED THE POTTY

I remember seeing last or tied for the bottom spot in Florida play, but sort of like you...only looked around the middle and the end in Sunday's paper. Listened to about one total inning on a car ride. Watched zero. Regular season not too much more other than collecting a final score each night.

Son told me last night we were 0-10 to start off 1988. He loves watching my expressions, dissapointment and being tortured with them.

Pass along my thanks for the 1988 0-10 info. I think this team has the ability to surpass that. Still on pace for 0-162.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT