ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL My gut on the big picture

SolicitorJacket

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2018
I am a pessimistic guy. There I said it. This is especially true for Tech sports in general and football particularly. I am not an insider, I don't know anyone who is. The upshot is my ramblings here are totally gut reaction from a nearly 50 year fandom of this program.

My pessimistic gut is that the Hill simply believes big time football has passed Tech by and is looking for a way to deemphasize it or remove it completely.

It reminds me in some ways of the plot of the movie Major League, where the owner wanted the team to be bad. Instead of killing attendance and support enough to move the team to Miami, they simply want to (paraphrasing Serena Williams) to "evolve" away from big time football.

We are committed for several years because of ACC contracts and rules, but we can all see that structural changes are coming. I believe that when those changes come, Tech will not be at the table by its own choice.

We came dangerously close to this in the early 80s, but Homer Rice and others managed to save us. This rescue happened despite the efforts of then Tech president, Dr. Pettit. I am curious to see whether Cabrera is nothing more than a latter day Pettit, because we don't have a Homer Rice to save us this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News