ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 2/20

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Just gonna come out and ask. You think we get in the NCAA Tournament?

I think so, need to beat NC State and Pitt to lock it up or split and win one in Brooklyn

Most important targets for the 2018 class other than KD hill and darnell Jeffries?

I don't think there are any must-get guys yet. It takes some time to figure out who is really possible and probable until kids make the rest of their JR Day visits. KD Hill will be an uphill fight and Jefferies will be hard if UGA gets in it.

It seems like we get a lot of PWOs. Is this just average for all P5 teams?

It is the same as UGA or anyone else, you just aren't noticing it.

Along the same lines, why do none of our PWOs show up on the commitment list, but they are listed on Alabama's (ex. - Bulovas)? I suspect the answer probably has something to do with the color of their shirt.

Bulovas committed and had a written scholarship offer, he doesn't count as an actual commit for Bama now because he didn't sign a LOI, our ratings are based on signed LOIs after NSD.

So, that leads me to the next question - what is the substantive difference between a blue shirt and a PWO? A promise, or is there something in writing?

A blue shirt is a kid that is going on scholarship in the next academic calendar. A PWO is just a walk-on with some added privileges, completely different. GT doesn't give any scholarships to PWOs unless they are in the two-deep and there is space mostly upper classmen in year four or five.

You mentioned a distaste for not getting OL offers our sooner from the OL coach (s). I assume that means Sewak. So are Sewak and CPJ just great buddies that get along and he will have a job as long as CPJ will have a job or would we ever look to upgrade there.

I like Mike Sewak, PJ gives him a lot of latitude with OL recruiting. I think Sewak coaches as long as he wants to with PJ. They are very good friends.

Is interior size a priority in recruiting now?

It is for this class, going to be DL heavy signing class.

How many times do we need to beat UGA for the perception to change in the state with local recruits/fanbases?

Consistently winning 35-40% of the time and that will be hard as hell given the advantages UGA has in just about every area.

We have 2 of the last 3 but I think we could be in for a few more wins in the coming years.

If that happens it should change some of the dialog about it. Richt's run really changed it a lot I think he was like 12-2 against GT.

What 2018 recruits have GT atop their list?

Right now, Feb 20th, DT Austin Smith, DT Darnell Jefferies and LB Ernest Jones.

What are the camp dates this year? # of invited recruits? # known to be coming?

Wow, you are way ahead of this. Camp dates not set publicly yet, it is 200-400 kids each day and the invites won't be accurate until within a few weeks of camp. LOL

In percentages, how realistic were the following b-ball head coaching targets prior to CJP? And for the record, I am ecstatic at how it all turned out...
Cuonzo Martin?
Ben Howland?
Thad Matta? (I seem to recall some crazy scuttlebutt one night after Drew dissed us that he may be interested in darting from tOSU).

Howland and Matta were 0, Matta is getting ready to hang it up. Bobinksi reached out to Matta to get advice on the search. Howland was a no-go for a few reasons. Cuonzo Martin was shut down by the GT admins, but they talked to him.

What team would you consider to replace BC if they were to leave the ACC?

I think it would be UConn, but I would want to add Kansas, I think that would be really interesting and would still be an easy out in FB.

• What type of season do you foresee KeShun Freeman having this fall? Any chance he can boost his stock value and get drafted at a decent spot with an above average season?
Not sure, depends, he has not developed into a consistent pass rusher like I thought he would be. If he can get 8+ sacks then he gets a look. He is really undersized for the NFL as a DE, needs to play OLB in a 3-4 defense.
  • Who out of the incoming signing class do you see as definite redshirts?
Adonicas Sanders is really the only one. GT is pretty stacked at WR with Jeune, Stewart, Camp, Dolphus, Messick and Hawkins-Anderson.
  • Assuming Matthew Jordan is named the starter when all is said and done, do you believe that having more of a Nesbitt style QB could actually benefit and improve the offense as a whole in comparison to the JT era? I'm obviously not taking away how great JT was for us, but I just somewhat get the notion that the bigger, stronger style QB is a better fit for CPJs offensive scheme. Thoughts?
I think between Jordan's style and the offensive line being physical up the middle, it could really open up some of the big plays you saw with Nesbitt from the slots and the B-back position. I think it will look more like the offense circa 2008-10.

Is there a shot you can get to help get over lackoffootballitis? My wife is growing weary of me re watching the bowl game and UGA game. She thinks I have a problem!!!!

I try to watch basketball, but if you are struggling now, the summer will be rough for you!

I think I know the answer, but is there any way we would be interested in or go after Pagano?

If he is interested, GT is interested, let me put it that way. CBP recruited him out of HS and had a relationship with him as a recruit.

Just for future reference for the rest of the board and myself, is there any specific kind of question that really pisses you off and that you'd like to never be asked?

Not really, I don't enjoy predict the first commit or who will be our next commit type questions in Jan/Feb/March, so much of a kid's recruitment changes dramatically during the Jan to May period.

We are all aware that our incoming frosh punter has a rocket for a leg. However, any insights as to whether his # of steps and timing to make the kick are adequate? Or, will our staff have to rework his pre-kick technique?

I've never heard of any issues with that. Harvin worked a ton with guys who prepare NFL punters and college punters so they would've already worked on that.

Do you think by the end of the year jaquan Henderson and Bruce will be our starting linebackers

Possible, I think Bruce Jordan-Swilling has a good shot at getting major playing time and I think Jaquan could end up the SAM, but it really depends on Terrell Lewis and Brant Mitchell and how they develop. Both of them have huge physical advantages, but there are three spots so at least one of them could end up to Bruce. Jaquan wants to play SAM/Nickel.

Is there any talk about hiring more recruiters

That is something they are working on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News