ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Schultz's AJC article - Worth thinking about ...

Braselton Bob

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2014
In today's AJC Jeff Schultz wrote an article thinking outloud if it made sense to keep Brian Gregory for another year. In Schultz's piece he notes the awful state of the Bball program when Brian Gregory came in to replace Paul Hewitt.
In a strange coincidence (at least in my AJC printing) there was an article about Bobby Cremins being named an ACC legend today just above Schultz's article. I had season tickets during Cremin's first year - he also had a mess to begin with, but he got a major break when the only ACC level talent to join the GT program in the previous decade, Brooke Steppe, became ineligible
during Dwayne Morrison's last season. Because of that, Cremins had at least one legit talent to make some waves in his first season. Not discounting that Bobby C was an incredible recruiter, but that inkling of success sure did not hurt him when he was on the road recruiting guys like Mark Price (not even the highest rated PG in the state of OK - that guy went to UNC) and John Salley (a 6'9" 170 lb project that grew to 7'0"). So for Bobby Cremins it took his incredible skills and and a bit of luck to get the ball rolling ....
Now back to Brian Gregory, the guy cannot seem to get a break - I wouldn't want the guy buying my Lottery Tickets. Injuries, suspensions, schduling, (and a poor decision to recruit the Poole brothers - which hurt his guard play back for his entire tenure) - have really dogged him (but can't help but note that the dawgs have not dogged him). But to see this collection of transfers and left overs compete as they did in the ACC is a testimony that the guy can coach. Tough to address the fact that we have dropped 11 ACC games by 5 points or less, but it could be that the hiring of a team psychiatrist to get the team over the "end of game yipes" might be a better investment, than paying a couple of ex-coaches 2. something million dollars per year.
Recruiting has struggled no doubt there, but the constant rumor mill of Gregory being on the fast track out surely hasn't helped.
So at the real risk of being tabbed a sunshine pumper, I agree with Schultz - a very rare event - I believe we need to give the guy another year to turn it around.
The other option feels like tossing a couple of million (for a couple of years) down the drain.
BB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News