ADVERTISEMENT

GT@VPI&SU...Nov 12...3:30 on ESPN-U

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
This won't be pretty, but we'll be there for the carnage. Just glad to face the Turkey Buzzards on a Saturday for a change.

ACC Schedule...

CwHCAh-WcAAEgtZ.jpg

FWIW, almost all of the SEC is on 6-day option and won't be known until Sunday.

Oh, we still are in California. The millions of Tech alumni in China and throughout Asia are pretty pissed though as they love their "Midnight Kickoff with the Jackets" parties.

Those wacky Asians.

With JT5, we will struggle to keep this under 20 pts. Without him...OMG! Don't even want to think about it.

For any going to the game, remember to drive safe...don't go more than 5 mph over the speed limit here in the Moonshine Commonwealth. The cops don't play around. Going to be nippy Saturday as to be expected this time of year. The high temp for Saturday is forecast to be 49 right now with temps in the 4Q dipping down into the 30's. Thank goodness we don't have to use the s-word yet. That white stuff out of the sky has dropped onto Lane Stadium's field several times in November over the years.

Updated for 2016 season-to-date...these are for the 8 ACC regular season games + Cesspool game...

POINTS SCORED PER GAME:
2008 25.0
2009 31.7
2010 24.8
2011 26.8

2012 36.7
2013 31.4
2014 36.4

2015 21.7
2016* 22.8

POINTS ALLOWED PER GAME:
2008 22.0
2009 23.3

2010 29.1

2011 27.0
2012 30.6
2013 25.2
2014 23.4
2015 29.2
2016* 32.5

MARGIN:
2008 +3.0
2009 +8.4
2010 -4.3
2011 -0.2
2012 +6.1
2013 +6.2
2014 +13.0

2015 -7.6
2016* -9.7

* - thru 6 of the 9 games so far

Fantastic job compiling the "Flats" Line.

So in 2008, 2009 we had Tenuta's leftovers(Chan typically gave him first choice unless a CJ or JD came along, or an insistence for offense in the recruiting module)? Then Womack became the goat?

Shouldn't the OC be fired after posting those 2012-14 numbers, followed by this slippage the last two years or do we not have enough of a sample this year?

oh and at the start of the season, I did not expect to see these numbers worse than last year....

shocking really

Yep. And, what's scary is...unless the Hokies turn the ball over like they did in Bristol, this time next week, the likelihood is very high that those numbers are going to look much worse.

Good news (I guess) is that Virginia and the Cesspool are both beatable. Then again, JMU had more points after 1Q at Cheaterville than we did for the entire game and almost as many yards. IOW, the Cheaters defense was and is mediocre. Our offense was worse than mediocre. So, hopefully our offense will do better against beatable UVA and Cesspool than it did against mediocre, Cheaters.

Monday, Nov. 7-
Georgia Tech returned to the practice field on Monday after a tough second half performance against North Carolina on the road. Jackets head coach Paul Johnson said the film looked as bad as it did in person when he watched it back after the game.

Without many vocal leaders on the team, the Jackets looked listless on Saturday in the second half against North Carolina. Johnson said that could be a reason for some of the struggles.

"It can be an issue (lack of energy). You have to look at everything when you are struggling," Johnson said. "There were several missed assignments, guys didn't have their eyes in the right place, guys got blocked and there was a lot of not looking where you are supposed to look and sometimes guys just got beat."

"We tried a lot of things on Saturday, but the ball was coming out fast," Johnson said. "The effort part was not a big issue, but it could be better."

I can go way out on that limb and agree with you. However, whose responsibility is it to develop players that can protect him(the QB)? Ultimately the Head Coach, who keeps blaming players for leaving and injuries. Those two recruiting classes we missed on, caught up with us last year & this season with experienced guys as a whole, particularly the line.

I'm not trying to suggest firing him. Just pointing out the facts. The coaches salaries are really beyond his control as referred to in another thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BAJ quoted: "Remember 12-14 GT had a procaliber player on the O-line".

In most P5 programs, you never hear the blame of performance cast on a player leaving for so many average points going down in slippage. Not even a QB like a Cam Newton or Matthew Stafford. Look at our Recruiting Classes for the earlier part of this decade as real answers. I would rather have 5 good, experienced OL's, as opposed to one super, Sr., who we ran behind a lot on that right side.

I can go way out on that limb and agree with you. However, whose responsibility is it to develop players that can protect him(the QB)? Ultimately the Head Coach, who keeps blaming players for leaving and injuries. Those two recruiting classes we missed on, caught up with us last year & this season with experienced guys as a whole, particularly the line.

I'm not trying to suggest firing him. Just pointing out the facts. The coaches salaries are really beyond his control as referred to in another thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most P5 programs, you never hear the blame of performance cast on a player leaving for so many average points going down in slippage. Not even a QB like a Cam Newton or Matthew Stafford. Look at our Recruiting Classes for the earlier part of this decade as real answers. I would rather have 5 good, experienced OL's, as opposed to one super, Sr., who we ran behind a lot on that right side.
You can show them a plan but you can't make them follow the plan
th

So you have 3 options
1) keep trying
2) made them wish they had followed the plan
3) find someone else who will listen and follow the plan.
We seem to be doing number 1 time to try number 3

The current OL are young players. We need patience. It's the HC, his subordinates having the problem with experience and depth. Youth will make mistakes, the man making all the money is the one who approves these recruiting classes(not CAM).

I don't think we disagree. I am just using the results to point out how getting the players really makes a difference. And I truly believe that the stance GT has taken with qualifying recruits is not allowing the coaches to really recruit the best athletes they can get. They need to take a calculated risk, please....

The current OL are young players. We need patience. It's the HC, his subordinates having the problem with experience and depth. Youth will make mistakes, the man making all the money is the one who approves these recruiting classes(not CAM).
I'm fine with the OL, it's going to be good for a couple of years . I was talking defense if they don't listen play someone else . I think we have some good players on defense who are not getting a chance. Some look good the little they play.
As for Recruiting I'm not sure he don't let the defensive coaches pick them. If not he needs to because they should know what they are looking for a player to do.

I don't think we disagree. I am just using the results to point out how getting the players really makes a difference. And I truly believe that the stance GT has taken with qualifying recruits is not allowing the coaches to really recruit the best athletes they can get. They need to take a calculated risk, please....
They have Given CPJ more lead way the last couple of years . Not all he would like but they have Eased up some because they are see good Results in the Graduation rate.
This is one reason I want to keep CPJ and not have to start over again.

They have Given CPJ more lead way the last couple of years . Not all he would like but they have Eased up some because they are see good Results in the Graduation rate.
This is one reason I want to keep CPJ and not have to start over again.
when I see the average SAT score of the football team drop I'll believe what you are saying.

when I see the average SAT score of the football team drop I'll believe what you are saying.
I thought I read it in an Article in the AJC. But I'm getting old so I could be wrong. It was an article that I thought was about the Avg Students and the avg SA.

I thought I read it in an Article in the AJC. But I'm getting old so I could be wrong. It was an article that I thought was about the Avg Students and the avg SA.
last one I saw reported GT's football team had the highest average compared to every public university.

it also reported GT still had the largest gap between student body and football team.
So I was right about reading it ? :)
Remember I Graduated from Southern Tech so I could have read something wrong in it. ( or could have been drinking too much that day) do you remember what they said the avg SAT was for the football team. I thought the only two schools higher was Army and Navy.

this is not it but talks about it

http://nique.net/news/2014/04/18/tech-athletes-score-higher-on-sat-scores-than-peers/

Last edited:
no I don't remember the particulars, just that GT had the highest and the biggest gap of the public universities. I don't remember if the service academies were on the list.

I'm fine with the OL, it's going to be good for a couple of years . I was talking defense if they don't listen play someone else . I think we have some good players on defense who are not getting a chance. Some look good the little they play.
As for Recruiting I'm not sure he don't let the defensive coaches pick them. If not he needs to because they should know what they are looking for a player to do.
The talent on Defense, especially depth was cut short by two very small classes. I keep harping on that because Roof hasn't been here long enough to even see the first recruits he walked in on as seniors. Remember that recruiting in football takes more time than hoops. Harbaugh walked into some great talent, just like Saban did.

No, the defensive coaches don't choose who they get. We recruit to areas. It's a joint universal effort(and not talking about the 5 states voting on legalizing pot today), with CPJ making the call on which ones get offers.

That offensive line is firing off with some nastiness today. Some of the best play we've seen from that unit since 2014. And there are three true freshman out there.

Bud Foster is putting 8 in a tight box in the 2nd half. As shaky as Jordan looks throwing the ball, we have no choice but to attempt passes against that.

Huge play ripping that ball out Mr. Austin!! Come on offense, lets put the final nail in the Turkey Buzzards coffin.

Great game by the defense well called by Roof . Happy for MJ and MM both will rest well tonight

I swear, we are schizo.

Good win. Very good win. Any time you walk out of that hole with a W it's good. Now... back to MEG's and talking 8 wins on the season. Most thought we'd steal a W somewhere and I guess today was it. We should be favored next week and mayyybe in Athens.

UGA won, but their O is a hot mess. They scored on a pic six and two FG's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT