ADVERTISEMENT

Couch Coach vs. Duke

ibeeballin

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2012
Here are a few gifs i decided to breakdown to give an idea of what happened on field vs. Duke. These are used to give others a different perspective on how to watch football. I don’t do this to disparage players or coaches, but to give insight to GT enthusiast on what I’ve learned as a player and avid football fan.

Today’s focus is being in position to make plays. This has been the missing link in the GT armor for quite awhile especially on the defensive side of the ball that has kept us from being a good defense. Versus Duke, we cleaned up few things in out zone drops and our fits in the run game to show that we are a well-coached team. This coaching paid dividends for guys like Curry and Carpenter

I want to rub it in again: i repeat Gibbs is a complete back, who can run btw and ouside the tackles. All 4 of his rushing TDs are btw the tackles.

READ OPTION

Block of the Game goes to Quinney 73

Watch this combo block by Quinney to spring Gibbs to the house. Gets the double team and climbs up on 42 for Duke to creat the hole for Gibbs
giphy.gif

Here is another good job by Clark on the Read Option
giphy.gif

The biggest flaw in Curry game, IMO, has been he takes himself out of plays he should make. I discussed where Curry was getting lost in zone drops and crossing the hashes leaving voids. Looks like he answered the bell and fixed that issue.

Here he looks up his zone key which is #3 receiver, gets his back to the QB and let the QB eyes take him to the ball. QB stayed in the pocket so he stayed within the hashes and was almost rewarded with an INT

giphy.gif

Same here with Charlie Thomas. Good positioning create tighter windows. Tighter windows = low percentage throws
giphy.gif

Nothing i like some physical, nasty Defensive play. Domineck is special and CMC deserves a lot of credit. He has the size, speed, and the ability to go from speed to power. I love this tone setter of a hit here

giphy.gif

Special Teams still kinda Special.

Returners are taught heels at 8yd line and do not retreat. Based on how McCollum tracked this ball i would’ve never guessed he’s a high level baseball player. Heels at 8 misjudged the ball thinking it’s shorter and retreats tries to catch it at the the 6. Bad decision and one that you have to let go
giphy.gif

Great blocking upfront. Just happy to see Mason healthy

giphy.gif

We played well but it’s not good enough. This a good throw but a play i believe we should make Here is the ol CPJ Switch route vs Cov 3. CB is getting deepest of the deepest in his 3rd and will play in btw those 2 verts. Since it’s a 2x2 formation, Showell is hook/curl off #2. Issue is Carpenter who appears to be late on rotating to the middle of the field. If he does it right, this is an INT IMO
giphy.gif

Here we have a missed assignment by Curry. He’s responsible for play side A gap and jumps out of the gap to the outside. Though Thomas responsible for backside B gap, to get over top of that block to minimize the gain
giphy.gif

Beast!!!! Domineck showing you what “EFFORT BASED DEFENSE” looks like. This is how you give relentless effort!!!

giphy.gif

This is tough here. I’m not sure if the pick hurt more or that Sims didn’t use his legs again with the nearest defender being 10yds away. Got to clean this up if we’re going to finish 4-0. Take what the defense gives you and run
giphy.gif

This is the Sims we need to consistently see. The DE absolutely destroys Quinney with that Reggie White hump move. This makes our offense that more dynamic and takes a defender away from Coverage once he does it

giphy.gif

Read Option.
What could’ve been!!! Look at the top of the play. This appear to be a walk in TD if Sims can get the ball of Smith belly. Got the TE kicking out the CB and WR sealing the safety. It doesn’t help that penetration was coming up the middle, but i believe Sims it open up ass well
giphy.gif

Love the maturation here: Goes thru his first 2 options both are well covered comes back across the field to #3 option with pressure in his face and is rewarded with a TD pass
giphy.gif

CMC needs a raise!!! This is a filthy pass rush move by Domineck! Gets up field, punches the tackle’s outside shoulder to “opens the door” and comes inside for the sack
giphy.gif

Kudos to the staff for getting these guys prepared. Still a lot of to get better at but you can tell in the details we didn’t just play kickball all time off. Let’s beat NCST

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News