ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Brent Key Press Conference Quotes 10/24

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Got back out on the field, disappointing loss on Saturday. Went through the team meeting, positional meetings and individual meetings. You can’t look in the rearview mirror and one thing can lead to another and we’ve had examples of putting things past this year. You have to put yourself in a position to win a game or be there in the fourth quarter. You have to understand what allowed you to not win the game. We went around the room and had players speak it out and say those things and they were all correct with the good things and bad things. It came after their position meetings. The kids are aware and after the fact they have to know and understand them and why. They have to push through and work and get the win at the end. The consistency. When you’ve proven you can do it and compete the entire game, you have to take that now and be consistent. We knew BC would be a 4 quarter game and we didn’t play well in the fourth quarter. We have to play with an edge and some toughness.

We’ve got a good opponent coming in and where UNC is there year, they had a tough loss as well and they are going to be hungry.

On the lack of run defense in the second half, if you look at the end of the 3rd QT we had allowed 155 yards rushing and they doubled it in the fourth quarter. It is the ability to execute in the fourth quarter.

On the subs issues, Key said that was the first team that went from spread personnel to six or seven Ols and they had to line up with a 4-2-5 against 11 personnel and there are 7 Ols and two TEs in, so that was unique to BC and that messed up the subs. That was something they didn’t practice for months. The jumbo package on defense, you are putting in bigger bodies. One person tweaks an ankle or they are out and they didn’t hear the sub, but they have to do a better job of creating that situation in practice. They knew they did it and had the right plan for it, but it goes back to the practice and replicating them in the game.

On bouncing back from losses, I wish it was a light switch I could tape up with duct tape and leave on, but it shows what the team is capable of doing consistently. We can bounce back, we are so happy with the bounce back but the deflation is so bad. That is the consistency we are working towards. We’ve got to continue to do it consistently. I wish there was a better concrete thing to say about the bounce back.

For whatever reason there are so many external things we see as adults today and they get engrained in people’s heads. If you can shut off social media for a week, but everyone wants to scroll and everyone talks to people, friends and family and that is all over. That is the way of the world and it has been that way since I’ve been involved with football. The only thing that matters is what goes on in this building. Your knowledge of the opponents and executing the plan and we work on it every day and having the right mindset every game. The mindset was good going in and the plan and I would say if it wasn’t last week, but something happened as the game went on and there is one or two plays and then you don’t know when those things happen and you have to be ready for that.

Key said they have a Sunday team meeting and then all the other meetings and then practice on Sunday night and the approach is pretty routine and it changes for the game. Having players speak up is not unique or new, but I wanted to hear their opinions. It is one thing for us to say it, but it means more when your peers say the same thing unprovoked.

Key said they have to play around Haynes King in all three phases and you want to put it on their back and go win the game. That doesn’t happen every time and sometimes they press and try to make something happen and the ball is going into a tight window and sometimes those are big plays this season and there are things that Chris and Buster are cognizant of and he understands that too what he does right and wrong. He can coach himself through the good plays and the bad plays and I think Haynes will get better and eliminate those things that are hurting him.

Key said UNC has a great QB and added a dynamic skill guy in Tez and they have great RBs, but it goes through Drake Maye and their OL is good. Their OC does what Drake is comfortable with and goes through his eyes with the calls. The QB makes it go.

Key said it is big/little and they get a good run here and it is QB driven and Haynes is allowed to pull the ball and get on the perimeter but you can’t look at stats, analytics drill down stats are big. If you take the big runs out and that is where it stands out. I talked to Buster about this on Sunday, we had a 10-12 yard run and you get 1,2,1 yards and you are at 2nd and 9 everything tells you to run the ball, you got 20 seconds maybe just 10 seconds to make the next decision, the last three times it was a yard so we’ve got to do a better job of running the ball to take that off the OC and allow us to maintain the ball, impact the field position and that was a game we needed to win the field position and we were plus or minus one yard instead of winning it. That run game has to improve. There will be some things we do this week to open up running the football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News