ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL An Uncompromising Situation Made Worse

BeerBrewingJacket

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2018
I was thinking about what exactly has transpired since January and when I think about EVERYTHING that has happened, it is staggering to me that what was already going to be a monumental transition it has somehow been transformed into a series of unfortunate events gone completely awry. Let's take an inventory of the positives and the negatives. First up, the negatives. I want to end this on a positive note.

1. Parker Braun transfers. All ACC OL is out at a position we could ill afford to lose our best player.
  2. Brandon Adams passes away. Again, he was going to be a key piece in this defense and a leader on the team in the locker room.
  3. We lose Mikey Minihan and Kenny Cooper in the 1st half of the USF game. (Cooper came back for Citadel) Walk-on's are starting on the OL.
  4. J. Lee is out for the season. We are so damn thin on OL and DL that we have J Lee playing both sides. He was an outspoken leader of the team and one of only 11 seniors on the team. He is now lost. 2 Walk on's are now pressed into significant playing time on the OL.
  5. James Graham who may be our best option at QB and was set to get his chance to show it gets injured before the game and can't go. You can't make up the timing of this stuff. It's the little things.
  6. We are 3rd to last in the country in terms of seniors on the roster. We are a top team in the country in terms of freshman. Not a great balance.
Positives

1. GT is developing a brand that is resonating with recruits and local media for the first time in a decade.
  2. GT S&C appears to be trending up with Caralla transforming our athletes into power 5 quality football players. It's getting great attention.
  3. We are coursing towards the best recruiting class in more than a decade on the flats in coaches first year.
  4. Our players have bought into CGC's culture and are playing hard.
There is a lot to be excited about, but most of the positive in future focused. It's geared towards a goal that is yet to be even close to realized. Future is bright and I know this is a bad time to post this, but I want to focus on the positive and I don't want to dismiss a complete failure that we had on Saturday, but I don't want to look at in a vacuum either. I want to appreciate what was already going to be a difficult situation is now made even more difficult due to the losses we have sustained at the positions they have sustained and just how dire out depth is on both line of the football. It's bad folks and it's a combination of poor recruiting and just plain bad luck. It's turning in the 2015 season injury riddled season, only worse. So, I am staying with the program. I realize what this is and it's not going to easy. GT isn't the first FBS team to lose an FCS program and we won't be the last. The future is bright and GT is going to rise. Will you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News