ADVERTISEMENT

AD Search Update 10/13 and other tidbits

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So this week I've been told Georgia Tech is in the interview phase after moving on from former Auburn AD Allen Greene. Sources indicate that Mike Buddie is among those in serious discussions/interview phase with Tech now.

I had to dig a little deeper into Buddie since I was a little dismissive of him at first. He is well-liked by several coaches I know and respect who worked with him and both Army and Wake Forest. Apparently, he is a tremendous fundraiser and was able to leverage a small group of boosters at Furman for major dollars as well as what he has raised at Wake and is now at Army. He did not hire Jeff Monken at Army and has apparently had no issues working with him so if Brent Key ends up the guy he already has experience dealing with not picking his football coach. I believe GT has interviewed Buddie at this point.

I think Charlie Cobb is still in the mix and I think Zac Selmon remains sort of a wild-card candidate. A buddy of mine who covers a lot of these type of searches nationally said he is certain GT will likely talk to a few of the Parker favorites (guys they typically push for these types of jobs) as well. He thought that is how Greene came onto the GT radar as well.

Every single booster and source I talk to has a different opinion on what should be done so that is also sort of interesting as well.

There remains a strong push to keep Brent Key if he can keep the team competitive and finish the season well. One source told me financially and really for the fan base Key doing well and taking the job for a while would be the best thing for GT because no one cares more about Georgia Tech than Key and he lacks Geoff Collins' ego when it comes to doing whatever is best for the program.

Key has his staff out on the road today for the first time since the change. The reception has been warm from HS coaches I've spoken to and according to my sources. There is a ton of support for Key and for this staff to do well in the HS ranks.

I had one of the strangest calls of my life yesterday from a colleague at Rivals telling me a recruit's dad said that Dell McGee told him he has made a deal to be the next head coach at Georgia Tech. This is the ultimate in Fake News, but it just goes to show how much bad info is out there right now. Georgia Tech has no football coach search going as of right now. No one has been offered anything nor will anyone be offered anything until an AD is hired and that process begins. I just am sharing this because this is the type of stuff I am dealing with and the fires I put out every day right now.

I get asked a lot about Josh Pastner's status as well, like I've said if they want to do something there, they'll need a major investment there and they would need to lay that groundwork now with NIL in particular if they want to lure someone perceived as an upgrade. There is little desire at the moment to do anything with Pastner, but he knows he needs to get them back into the mix for some type of postseason this year and schedule that way. I think if they have a bad year then the heat is coming, but I actually think he team will finish in the 8-11 spot in the ACC this year.

Also, Kalani Norris is no longer on the football team and has been removed from the RR roster online. He has not dressed the last two games because "he was not on the travel roster." He wants to preserve his redshirt and will transfer. Not sure when he will actually hit the portal.

Keep this here, don't put my stuff out as your own as that is stealing and if I catch you will end up handing out with Zed, Maynard, and the Gimp.

zed-pulp-fiction.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News