ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy@G.T.

With the burning of Brandon Adam's shirt, I'm hopeful that he can play a pivotal role against Vanderbilt. Vandy is going to relentlessly attack our interior DL. In the handful of snaps that we saw, Brandon plays with low pad level and good leverage. He looks like the sort who can be an immovable object as a double-teamed 1-technique. And Cerge-Henderson has already proven to be the best "1" we've seen around here since TJ. If Vandy attacks us as expected, these two young men could well be the unsung difference makers. Keep an eye on them.

In the 9-7-1 scheme we intend on playing to defend against Vandy's running game, Adams counts as 3 of the 9 up front. He's a big dude. Blocks out the sun.

Take a picture of the Weather Underground forecast for Atlanta right now and hope it stays the same. Looks like Tropical Storm Julia may hang around in southeast Georgia pounding that area with rain and wind while moving very slow (which is not good for those in the path). At the moment, low chance of rain in the ATL and temps in the high 70's throughout the game. If that comes true, you can't ask for much better weather conditions for a mid-September game at BDS. Hopefully, you folks will send some of that rain up our way. We are in major need of it.

Depth Chart(if I had any eligibility left, might kick a 35 yarder towards the right sideline-in golf you call it a shank...this season it's a good punt):
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20160913aaa.pdf

Observations...

1. 5 or's on offense...none on defense...1 in ST's

2. Can't get much more experienced than what we have across our front 4 DL's - 3 Sr's + 1 Jr -- we need those guys to really step up over the next 8 days

3. 17 of top 22 on D return next year...19 of top 22 on O return next year...we welcome a couple of the nation's best in punting and placekicking coming in as true frosh as well

A note to stech81 who is always interested in the game plan each week...

...Admiral Johnson joined my daily call with CTR earlier today. This week we are going with the following game plan: give up less points than Vandy does.

However - and don't tell anybody I said this...I mean, we certainly wouldn't want this information to get into the John Deere Tractor Boys' hands - I do have a tease of what next week's game plan is going to be. Now, don't tell anybody. Loose lips sink ships as they say. Need to keep this quiet. Not even your wives.

Ready?

Next week's game plan is to score more points than Clemson.

OK. There you have it. Game plans for the next 2 games. Let's keep this to ourselves.

Side note, sobering thought (which is of course directed at everyone but stech81)...this time next week we will be readying for Game 4, which will be one-third of the season complete...or, 20% of the season for the more optimistic (aka, insane). :p

Funny how July & August drag, but the FB season seems to fly by.

A note to stech81 who is always interested in the game plan each week...

...Admiral Johnson joined my daily call with CTR earlier today. This week we are going with the following game plan: give up less points than Vandy does.

However - and don't tell anybody I said this...I mean, we certainly wouldn't want this information to get into the John Deere Tractor Boys' hands - I do have a tease of what next week's game plan is going to be. Now, don't tell anybody. Loose lips sink ships as they say. Need to keep this quiet. Not even your wives.

Ready?

Next week's game plan is to score more points than Clemson.

OK. There you have it. Game plans for the next 2 games. Let's keep this to ourselves.

Side note, sobering thought (which is of course directed at everyone but stech81)...this time next week we will be readying for Game 4, which will be one-third of the season complete...or, 20% of the season for the more optimistic (aka, insane). :p

Funny how July & August drag, but the FB season seems to fly by.
Score more keep don't let them score as much as us , I just want to win :).
And yes FB season flys by but in my case it's cause everyone has a brithday. Please pay the bill on your Credit card birthdays and Christmas and cost a lot. And I would like to get you something this year with you credit card. :)

5 Keys to Defeating Vandy Saturday...

5. Play better than Vandy

4. Run faster than Vandy

3. Make less mistakes than Vandy

2. Don't let Vandy score

1. Don't score for Vandy

I'm worried about this game. Derek Mason knows defense and he has a nearly ideal set of tools to counter the option. I don't like this match up at all.

We need our D-line to play out of their minds, and we need to throw the ball with success on early downs - early and often. I want to see our offense change their defensive game plan right off the bat.

Agree with you. Misdirection...run a reverse...throw off their pursuit and have them guessing.

The passing game needs more than fine tuning for Clemson, should we be fortunate to get a nice lead. Not to run up the score, but prepare for a Tiger weakness in game situations. Problem is, JT is most likely taken out by then, so I would have him throw a few more plays in the first half.

The passing game needs more than fine tuning for Clemson, should we be fortunate to get a nice lead. Not to run up the score, but prepare for a Tiger weakness in game situations. Problem is, JT is most likely taken out by then, so I would have him throw a few more plays in the first half.

I spoke with my Dad later in the afternoon on the Saturday we defeated BC in Ireland. First thing out of his mouth was "Tech needs to throw the ball more on 1st down...too predictable". I then went to the stats to see just how one-sided it was to running on 1st down and it wasn't as bad as I had thought or he led on. Having said that, we must take into consideration we are a running team (read: 75% chance we are going to run on any given play to start with) and the weather conditions were pretty rough in that game.

Now, having said all that, I do agree with him moving forward. If we can be less predictable and make some easy passes like the quick out to the WR in early downs - which normally are a consistent minimum 4-to-6 yard gain and a good stiff arm away from a big gain - then I think it keeps the opposing D honest and will help our running game, which has struggled versus normal standards going on 14 games now.

I know CPJ will throw out the same old line about we need to master our base stuff before we start running "off-the-script" stuff (e.g., reverse pass). I don't agree with that at all. I think doing some other stuff will help our base stuff. If nothing else, it gives opposing D-Coord's more to have to consider when game planning for us. Maybe we've just been vanilla as hell on purpose - didn't need it against Mercer and game conditions not conducive in Ireland???

While I'd love to see and our chances of winning are greatly enhanced if we can get some Paul Johnson Death Marches against Clemson to keep their high-octane offense on the sidelines, I highly doubt Clemson's D is going to allow us to step up and knock them in the face while getting 12 play 80 yard drives for TD's. Clemson's offense isn't as bad as they've appeared so far. They are going to score. We've got to keep up to have a chance against them.

Same applies for Vandy if our D doesn't stop their running game.

We'll see. When CPJ calls me later for advice, I'll let him know.

I spoke with my Dad later in the afternoon on the Saturday we defeated BC in Ireland. First thing out of his mouth was "Tech needs to throw the ball more on 1st down...too predictable". I then went to the stats to see just how one-sided it was to running on 1st down and it wasn't as bad as I had thought or he led on. Having said that, we must take into consideration we are a running team (read: 75% chance we are going to run on any given play to start with) and the weather conditions were pretty rough in that game.

Now, having said all that, I do agree with him moving forward. If we can be less predictable and make some easy passes like the quick out to the WR in early downs - which normally are a consistent minimum 4-to-6 yard gain and a good stiff arm away from a big gain - then I think it keeps the opposing D honest and will help our running game, which has struggled versus normal standards going on 14 games now.

I know CPJ will throw out the same old line about we need to master our base stuff before we start running "off-the-script" stuff (e.g., reverse pass). I don't agree with that at all. I think doing some other stuff will help our base stuff. If nothing else, it gives opposing D-Coord's more to have to consider when game planning for us. Maybe we've just been vanilla as hell on purpose - didn't need it against Mercer and game conditions not conducive in Ireland???

While I'd love to see and our chances of winning are greatly enhanced if we can get some Paul Johnson Death Marches against Clemson to keep their high-octane offense on the sidelines, I highly doubt Clemson's D is going to allow us to step up and knock them in the face while getting 12 play 80 yard drives for TD's. Clemson's offense isn't as bad as they've appeared so far. They are going to score. We've got to keep up to have a chance against them.

Same applies for Vandy if our D doesn't stop their running game.

We'll see. When CPJ calls me later for advice, I'll let him know.
He called me yesterday and asked what should he run on the second play.
My answer to him was the Extra point . He liked the answer.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Assuming we pull off the victory tomorrow, I really do like having our offense face good defenses in Vandy and BC early to prepare for the meat of the ACC schedule. Let's getter done tomorrow Jackets!!

Reactions: Buzzforlife
After some deep thought today, I have decided to root for Georgia Tech to defeat Vanderbilt. This is not an announcement about a future announcement.

I am announcing now. Georgia Tech is my favorite team. There. I said it.

Just wanted to put any rumours to rest. Don't want any confusion or misunderstandings. No spreading untruths or falsehoods.

I mean, I'm just taking it one post at a time. I'm putting my game face on. Thank Buddha it doesn't look like Bobby Knight's game face, but you know what I mean. I'm wearing my lucky underwear tomorrow. I'm being a good fan. (and now back to the GTJT Sports Cliche' Fest) I'm going to give 110%. I'm going to give it everything I've got. I'm not getting ahead of myself. I'm focusing on every post. You know, putting myself in position to make the yells. Playing assignment fanhood. I admit I did practice with balls this week, but that's a different story for a different thread at a different time and very likely for a different board.

I will also admit that I'm wearing gold tomorrow. Not because of that silly copycat lack-of-ingenuity un-Tech-like gold out baloney tomorrow. But no, it's because I NORMALLY WEAR F'ING GOLD WHEN TECH PLAYS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Go Jackets!

Rock on, Tech!

Rock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock Horns

If you do magically get some rain, please put something over Ginger(as I know you would anyway). She's my favorite Tech Beagle, and never let her convert to being an old Smokie Volunteer.

I'm wearing my dri-knit undies tomorrow, expecting another hot one at BDS/GF. If Stech81 is looking for me...after YJA, heading to Campinelle, Old Library, Steps between West and North....making my way to the first aid station by halftime. Probably the North one over the East one. Back out for second half(all contingent on Jr. needing to stop in there).

Pull 'em in, Brother Sir!

This is a funny pic. It is not MM's fumble in the first quarter. Here is a pic of that, notice the position of Freddie Burden:

Marshall%20fumble%20-%20Mercer_zpsqxqbap6b.jpg

Marshall%20fumble%20-%20Mercer%20B_zps5jwzmi6n.jpg

Big Brandon Adams BAAAAABYYYYY! He blew up their O-line on that big stop.

Terrific performance by the defense after that first drive. Well done. And, that's IMO a pretty good defense we shredded. Good signs. I don't think that D is anywhere in BC's world of capability, but still better than average.

Bring on the Orangenecks!! Well done, Jackets!!

GO DUKES!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT