ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Tournament Thread

Texwood

Jul 27, 2015
We are in as a 4-seed playing Houston in the first round. The BasketJackets were playing their best ball of the season down the stretch, let's hope that translates into a deep run in this thing. Go Jackets!

Surprised Clemson is not in the NIT. Did our win over them at the A.C.C.T. affect that?

They have a LOT of quality wins. Did they advise they weren't going to accept a bid or something????

Strange.

Game is Wednesday, 9pm, and will be televised live via ESPN-2.

Tech has faced Houston twice in program history, winning both times.

1988 we defeated the Cougars in the Rainbow Classic in Hawaii by 9 pts.

1992 our win was in the NCAAT Midwest Regional First Round by 5 pts. Note, that win propelled Tech to the 2nd round to face #6 in the nation, Southern Cal, which was the amazing 1 pt win when James Forrest hit that prayer at the buzzer that still gets air time near 25 years later as one of the great moments in the history of March Madness (and Al McGuire's great voice going crazy).

A run in the NIT gives MGH more chances to move up the all-time scoring list.

The winner of the UH-Tech game will very likely face South Carolina in Columbia in the next round.

USC-east is the 1 seed, so you are correct sir-Columbia.

LSU refused post-season play. 17 at large for NIT, because 15 were automatic from conference championship play. Tigers with a lake must have been first four out for big M.E.G.(ouch!).

If you are unable to view this message correctly, click here.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Georgia Tech vs. Houston in the NIT at McCamish Pavilion!

The Jackets are back in the postseason for the first time since 2010 after a strong finish to the regular season, hosting Houston in the opening round of the National Invitational Tournament.

Tickets for this clash at McCamish Pavilion on Wednesday, March 16 at 9:00 p.m. are on sale now, starting at just $15 each - with a limited quantity of Callaway Club seats available for $50 that include food and beverage.

Click Here to Purchase Tickets

PARKING INFORMATION:

Due to the quick turn-around for the game, fans are HIGHLY encouraged to pre-purchase parking by clicking here.

Gameday parking will be available in Upper/Lower Peters Decks, the Klaus Deck and the North Deck (W23).

Georgia Tech Ticket Office
150 Bobby Dodd Way NW Atlanta, GA 30332
888.TECH.TIX | 404.894.5447 www.ramblinwreck.com/tickets
Operating hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Copyright 2016, Georgia Tech. The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. No logos, photographs or graphics on this site may be reproduced without written permission. All rights reserved.
You are receiving this message because you have been in contact with
Georgia Tech or an affiliate.

Surprised Clemson is not in the NIT. Did our win over them at the A.C.C.T. affect that?

They have a LOT of quality wins. Did they advise they weren't going to accept a bid or something????

Strange.

Clemson had a terrible RPI (126 vs. GT 67, FSU, East Tenn 89, NC State 114). Their non-conference schedule was a ghastly 333. They had two losses outside the top 150 (UMass, Minnesota). The only loss out of the top 100 for GT, for example, was to Clemson.

They had a few good wins but couldn't afford bad losses with the lousy OOC schedule.

I think the NIT MET should take a cue from the CFB MEG's and do the following...

1) forget the tournament concept and play just 1 game
2) take a break for about 3 to 4 weeks and schedule a game in Pigsnuckle Louisiana
3) call the game something cool like "Frosting Your Busch Light Weedsnapper Game"
4) give both teams some really cool gifts like razors or hair dryers and junk
5) make damn sure there is a trophy...by golly, got to have that dang trophy
6) assure that the Frosting Your Busch Light Weedsnapper Game officials have really cool bright orange and lime green jackets and are paid 100 grand each to administer this great event
7) get some locals to greet the teams at the airport and sing songs and the head coach partakes in local food and/or beverages

Thought Paul Blewitt's contract couldn't get more looney tunes? IIRC, Dave Braineless actually had a bonus of around 10 grand to be paid to Blewitt if his team made the NIT.

beating head against wall

Having said all that, thank goodness this NIT MET is different than the CFB MEG's. Well, I guess...

Go Jackets!

basketball Buzz

We got the home court baby, sitting on our hands...we got the whole darn home court, for one big game...common it's a sing-a-long...we got the fate of the whole world in our hands.

Son wants to go to The Varsity, first. Has me thinking, it might be the right time to make an afternoon dental appointment. Why not? Have to pay for eating those doughnuts with sprinkles.

What a Wednesday it could bee...teeth gnashing, lube job-G.I. style, and then torture under the big boob.

Last edited:
Searching the web, I have yet to see any decent breakdowns of the game between Tech and UH. I'm guessing some analysis will pop up over the next 24 hours and will link if I see any.

A few nuggets from a quick look-see myself...

• Houston went 22-9 overall on the season and was 12-6 in the AAC (tied for 3rd).
  • The AAC had 4 teams selected for the NCAAT...Tulsa, UConn, Temple, Cincinnati.
  • The AAC is the 8th-rated RPI conference.
  • SMU was ineligible as former Tar Heel Cheater Larry Brown continues his cheating ways everywhere he goes.
  • Speaking of cheaters, UH is coached by Kelvin Sampson who has a dark past with NCAA violations. He was forced to resign from Indiana in 2008 due to a series of violations. Did not get another HC'ing job until UH hired him in 2014.
  • Common opponents for UH and G.T. is Tulane, a member of the AAC. Tech defeated the Green Wave in NOLA back on Dec. 5th by 8 pts. UH defeated Tulane at home by 18 and won at Tulane by 13. However, Tulane upset the Cougars in the AAC tournament - perhaps costing them a NCAAT bid - by 3 pts.
  • UH's RPI is 87th. (GT is 69) UH is 3-3 vs RPI Top 50 teams. GT is 3-7. UH is 4-3 vs RPI teams between 51 and 100 while GT is 2-5.
  • UH only played 1 game on the road this season on a non-conference opponent's home floor and they lost at Rhode Island by 10 back in early December. Their only other non-conference game away from Houston was in the Global Sports Classic in Vegas just before Christmas where they lost to Grand Canyon by 9 and defeated Wyoming in overtime by 5.
  • UH was a very respectable 6-4 on opponent's home floors this season including wins at Temple (NCAAT team) by 27 and recently at UConn (NCAAT team and AAC tournament champ) by 7.
  • UH defeated SMU at home as well as NCAAT teams, Cincinnati and Tulsa, at home.
  • UH has 3 guys scoring 13 ppg or more - led by 6'2" Soph. Guard, Rob Gray Jr., at 16.3 ppg. He averages taking 5.5 3-pointers per game. Third-leading scorer on the team, 6'5" Jr. Guard Damyean Dotson, averages taking 5.4 3-pointers per game. To put that in perspective, Tech's Adam Smith averages taking 7.4 3's a game.
  • Dotson at "only" 6'5" is also their leading rebounder at 6.9 boards a game. He is a deadly FT shooter hitting at 86%.
  • The top 7 guys in minutes per game (and consistent in their last game, loss to Tulane in AAC tournament)...stand 6'0", 6'0", 6'2", 6'5", 6'5", 6'8", 6'10".
  • Tech is 3.5 pt favorites. Tech has been terrible in favorite situations this season versus the spread. Will check later on the Cougars as road dogs (going to venture with a 6-4 straight up record that it is very positive for them in this situation versus the number).

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I don't follow basketball much but I do drink beer and I'm about out of beer. Damn life is hard at times.

"About out of beer" at my double wide means we are down to 9 cases. I feel your pain.

I don't follow basketball much but I do drink beer and I'm about out of beer. Damn life is hard at times.
I don't drink much, family from the mines of Pennsylvania, however I do follow basketball. Wish I could drink, especially when walking up "The Hill". March sadness. To think we might get to hold up one of the endzones on Thursday night, because it will be pretty empty in those areas. Men's game, we might blend in a little better.

Tulane, Portland fired their head coaches today. Mean for the Greenie after 6 years. Our coach is a year away from that magic number.

A closer look at the bracket linked in earlier reply pretty much indicates that barring something odd from the NIT people, tonight's game will be the last home game for MGH and the other final year players (and perhaps Jorgenson and Heyward as well). Both of the higher seeds won on the other side of the South Carolina bracket meaning even if we win tonight and at South Carolina Monday, the Jackets would travel out to the west coast to play the winner of Washington at San Diego State with the chance to go to NYC in the semifinals. Of course, that's a lot of "ifs", but the main point reinforcing tonight's game is the final home game.

Higher seeds will be the hosts until the semifinals with the exception of Florida (a 2-seed) who is having to play all its games on the road because their home arena is under a re-construction.

Related to Tech MBB, Clemson's Jaron Blossomgame has filed papers to explore entering the NBA draft early. Not hiring an agent which gives him the opening to return to Clemson if things don't work his way.

Let's hope we can slow these guys down and contest threes tonight. Dominate points in the paint and own the glass on both ends! Go Jackets!!

What a difference in opponents in 2 games. Virginia plays defense and slow pace. Houston plays little defense, doesn't rebound defensively, and may allow us to score triple digits tonight.

After watching us play a full slate of ACC opponents - these guys are inept on defense - yet we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Slow it down and execute BasketJackets!

We controlled the pace the last 8 minutes of the half the way Izzo would against such an opponent. Keep that up and there is no way we lose this. Up next is an opponent we want to speed things up against - and I like our chances.

Guys are playing loose. Having some fun. What they should be doing essentially.

Hokies on the ropes at home, btw.

Can't remember the last time we held an 18-pt lead in the 2nd half. So used to playing extremely tight games (other than the ugly loss at the ACCT of course).

Hokies advance with an OT win. All 3 of the ACC's NIT teams will advance to the Round of 16 barring Tech completely blowing this down the stretch. I think Tech may extend this out to a 20+ margin win.

Hopefully we can keep this big lead and late in the game CBG can bring the seniors out one at a time for a standing O...especially MGH.

Hopefully we can keep this big lead and late in the game CBG can bring the seniors out one at a time for a standing O...especially MGH.

Absolutely! Looking forward to some standing ovations in the late stages of this contest.

In contrast to Hokieville(not being shown here on the concourse level, but in a suite above), we didn't even sell tickets to the upper level tonight.

Only way we get another home game is if Bucknell is in the final eight against us. Improbable.

Remember, USC-East was 15-0 starting off.

Houston went 12-6 in the AAC. I have to keep telling myself that.

Only way we get another home game is if Bucknell is in the final eight against us. Improbable.

If we face Bucknell, it will be in the semifinals which are at Madison Square Garden. Would love to see it of course. This is our last home game tonight as outlined in an earlier reply in the thread.

Lammers developing good.

I second that emotion. Yes, he is.

His timing as a shot blocker is excellent. And, he doesn't swat at the ball or try for the dumb block that is either a foul or knocks out of bounds just to give back to the opposition. His blocks normally stay in play with a chance for a teammate to get it. Bill Russell is the all-time great at that of course. Wish more kids would study Russell's defense and shot blocking and even better more coaches would show film of how he blocked shots with the mission of obtaining the ball...not this blocking it into the stands for the crowd oooo-and-aaaahhhh factor.

If we face Bucknell, it will be in the semifinals which are at Madison Square Garden. Would love to see it of course. This is our last home game tonight as outlined in an earlier reply in the thread.

Spread the word in the house, Buzzforlife. This is MGH's last game in the enormous hooter. Send him out with a loud round of applause!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT