ADVERTISEMENT

Lady J's WNIT Thread

Side note to the WNIT, the ACC was viewed as down this year with both Duke and the Cheaters having well below normal years to their standards (I thought NC State was shafted by the selection committee). At any rate,
results involving ACC teams in that tournament so far...

Friday 1st round results
3 Louisville 87-60 over 14 Central Arkansas -- Cards host DePaul Sunday at 2:30
4 Syracuse 73-56 over 13 Army -- Cuse hosts 12 Albany Sunday at 12:00 (Albany upset Florida by 2 pts)

Saturday 1st round results
5 FSU 72-55 over 12 Middle Tennessee -- Noles likely will face Texas A&M on the Ag's home court Monday, time TBD
1 Notre Dame hosts 16 North Carolina A&T at 6:30pm -- Irish will win and host winner of 8 Cesspool vs 9 Indiana Monday, time TBD (Lady J's of course lost to both IU and Cesspool on the road this year...and twice to ND)
5 Miami plays 12 San Diego State at 6:40pm at Stanford -- winner will play the winner of 4 Stanford vs 13 San Francisco Monday, time TBD

WNIT results of note...

-the French travel to Rutgers (the state university in New Jersey, not the satellite campus in Durham) and win big, 71-55, to move to the Round of 16. France will face Hofstra next with date/time/location TBA.

-the Hokies traveled to Ohio U. and their season is ended by 7 pts, 64-57.

-the Deacs play Monday night at Fla. Gulf Coast (7pm, same time as the Lady J's)...the winner of that game faces the winner of the Lady J's game against the Greenies...date/time/location TBA

Also, Louisville lost at home to DePaul in a mild upset.

The WNIT folks have scheduled the Frenchies to have to travel for their 3rd straight game. They defeated VCU in a close drive over to Richmond. Then, they went up to Jersey and defeated the State University of Jersey. Now, they have to travel to New Yawk to face Double E's old team.

Will be interesting to see if they win tomorrow night, will the WNIT reward the Frenchies with a home game here in God's Country? And, will the Lady Jackets be their guests? Stay tuned...

popcorn

I contacted the ticket office about purchasing third round tickets should the Jackets win tonight. I was told we haven't bid on the game and thus no tickets are being sold in advance. I wonder what happens if neither of the teams that advance tonight want to host it.

I can get access to the Meadowcreek Gym. We can pay the lights, clean up and turn a profit because the teams won't have guarantees.

Seriously, won't the WNIT Colorado Springs take over? Find a venue, play at a neutral site and not give the winner a fourth or fifth game no matter what beyond that.

Nice start for the Lady J's. Up 18-8 after 1Q. Keep it up, Tech! Keep the foot on the gas.

Yep. Giving up 28 pts in the 2Q, it won't matter if we don't start defending better. Ugh

Well, bummer to end the season like that. Major tip of the cap to Aaliyah and Rodrekka for their time representing the NATS. We will miss 'em.

Give Tulane credit. They played good defense and they rebounded well. Tough to see our seniors lose a game like that.

She did a good job getting them this far. Only a few games we left in the wrong column. Won most of the ones we should have.

With the foul trouble, happy to see Fortune and Howard come in for the second quarter. Still wish we could have developed them more. Maybe the off-season will help?

Makes sense. Thanks, mate.

I hope Zutorya Cook is perfecting her ball-handling skills. She likely is going to be counted on as the backup PG next season to Tilford. Also, until Pugh is eligible, in the early season Cook could be playing some 2 along side Tilford as well. All subject to if we bring in any new faces in the spring signing period. I hope so.

PG: Tilford Jr. - Backup: Cook Fr.
SG: Pugh So. (not eligible until fall semester ends) - Backup: Peresson Jr.
SF: Vuckovic Sr. - Backup: Howard So.
PF: O'Neil Jr. - Backup: Fortune So., Avram Jr.
C: Edeferioka Jr. - Backup: Guimaraes So., Diouf Fr.

Note, I will not be surprised if Fortune leaves the program via transfer.

Also note, if we were to sign a certain Italia wing in the spring, then she could step right in and compete for a starting job at the 2 or 3.

You might be right on Martine, although after speaking with her after a recent game, she was adjusting well to the college life.

Cryor, most probably. Unless she grows up to match the level of her talent.

I'm surprised a little that the new AD in Blacksburg let Dennis Wolff go. Babcock must have someone already in the wings ready to jump in. Looks like he is making lots of changes in his first 2 years across the board - Buzz Williams appears to be a great hire, keeping Bud Foster as D-Coord. is another nice move, jury out on new FB HC Fuentes but appears to be a solid hire.

Wolff lacked a lot of talent, but coached his team to a better-than-expected season. Given, "expected" is normally or has been the basement of the ACC. The Hokies actually got a huge win in early December by 14 pts no less at Tennessee. While the Lady Vols have dropped a bit (though they just qualified for another Sweet 16 out in Tempe this past weekend), that is still a huge win.

He already has a signee in 4-star PG, Genesis Parker, out of Bishop O'Connell.

Didn't Dennis Wolff write for "The A C C Poop Sheet"? They got a good piece of my change in the olden days.

Should we start another recruiting thread for the late period on potential Lady Jackets?

Not sure if this one has any interest? Position of need:

The spring signing period starts April 13. I think a lot of stuff is going to go down in both basketball programs between now and then...

1. How will the MBB season end? And, if Tech rides this season all the way to Madison Square Garden, will that have any impact on CBG's future? If we lose tonight, will it make any difference? Has Bobinski already made up his mind one way or the other? Is Bobinski alive? Is Bobinski sleeping with Susan Lucci? Is Bobinski sleeping with Demetris Robertson's brother-advisor?

2. Will Jorgenson advise he is transferring out? Will Heyward announce he is graduating early and heading elsewhere for his final year of eligibility?

3. Will some dude we don't know about at this time announce he is graduating soon and will transfer into Tech for his final year of eligibility? Same applies to the Lady J's program.

4. Will a certain Italia star announce a commitment to the Lady J's?

5. Will Ciani Cryor announce she is transferring out of Tech? Same for Martine Fortune?

popcorn

Great questions and I hope the last part of number 1 is true, so we gain an advantage in "How the Robertson's turn". I guess you can have it both ways when married, if you stay in the closet?

He is in the sweet a lot, oops, meant suite.

What a March Madness for Syracuse fans. Their men made the Elite 8 last night.

And, their WBB team pulled the shocker of the NCAAT last night upsetting South Carolina. Cuse plays the Lady Vols (also a surprise at this point) in the regional finals tomorrow afternoon to get to the Final 4.

Former Cheater, Diamond Deshields, is playing with the Vols now, FWIW.

Yep. UConn is on their own level. And, I think we both agree, it is terrible for the game.

Can't blame UConn and that's not my point. I think you started to see the same thing in D1A CFB during the SEC's run of national titles.

While the WNCAAT is essentially the UConn Invitational, what a great day for Syracuse!!

They are leading the Lady Vols by 15 with just over 6 minutes to go to punch their ticket to the Final 4.

Sending home #1 seed (and overall #2 behind UConn) South Carolina from the SEC and now sending home the Lady Vols, who quite frankly have just got on a roll at the right time winning 3 games in the NCAAT (read: not much was expected by them and they have overachieved most think (after an underachieving regular season).

After Notre Dame's ladies were eliminated by Stanford, it's great to see the Orange still get an ACC team into the Final 4.

There was so much orange, I had to adjust the T.V. color.

Nice to see "The Chains on Tires" people have a chance for both hoop teams in the Final Four.

Va Tech may be close to hiring JMU's Kenny Brooks. That would be huge for the Hokies. Brooks is an outstanding recruiter and has 20 years experience coaching. He has built the Dukes into a perennial NCAAT participant. If it happens, that's a great hire for Va Tech and once again another example of the rest of the ACC stepping up - and especially in Blacksburg as their new AD is doing great things.

Wonder if he would be interested in coaching MBB? We could do worse. I know our AD is known as a BB Guy, however would take the VPI AD in a minute(nice football hire, Buzz Williams, now Brooks?).

All set:
Oregon St. vs. Goliath
Washington vs. Snow Tires People

Next Sunday.
-----------------------------------------------
NCAA Finals: UConn vs. 'Cuse?

Tuesday, Mar. 5th

Potential conflict alert. I see the Men's NIT Final scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday and the WNIT at 8 p.m., same night.

Either their television lineup guide is wrong or the above hoop feed is incorrect?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT