ADVERTISEMENT

Lady J's WNIT Thread

First time for the Devils in the last 22 years. Surprised the 'Pack snubbed their noses.

When was the last time the Cheaters finished with a losing record, with no opportunities?

Bama plays at Tulane Wednesday night at 8pmET. So, we should know who will be the next opponent before our tip with Mercer for the victor.

We've already beaten Bama back on Dec. 18th by 12 pts this season. I can see the LJ's traveling in Round 2 if we win - just like last year.

(while I'm happy for the LJ's to be able to play at home, I bet there would be more fans in the stands and interest if the game were scheduled at Mercer)

A win over Mercer would mean yet another 20+ win season for Coach Jo. That would be 8 of the last 10 seasons with 20+ wins (and one of the 2 missing was a season ago with 19).

Imagine if the men had that kind of string of 20+ win seasons over the last decade??? Unfortunately, the question remains...if Tech WBB has a 20+ win season, does anybody even notice among the Tech faithful. (well, some of us do, but doubt more than 20% notice or care...pretty sad)

Aaliyah Whiteside has 1,538 career points scored. That is currently 9th in school history. Others she can pass with a nice run in the WNIT...

8. Joyce Pierce 1,557 pts (19 ahead of AW)
7. Alex Montgomery 1,565 (27)
6. Chioma Nnamaka 1,593 (55) -- note, Chioma is back with the team this year, unsure if she is a grad assistant or what
5. Carla Munnion 1,671 (133) -- note, Carla was Tech's Legend representative at this year's ACCT...would require a run of 6 games to the championship and averaging 20+ a game for AW to catch Carla

Whiteside also is in the record books for most points scored in a season. She is currently at 602 points. That is 3rd in program history. She is behind...

2. Ty Marshall 609 - set 2 seasons ago and will be broken most likely Thursday night vs Mercer
1. Kaela Davis 652 - set a season ago (50 points ahead of AW at the moment)

For the few of us WBB fans, a surprising move at UVA as point guard Mikayla Venson announced yesterday that she is leaving UVA immediately and will not participate in UVA's WNIT journey. Unclear as to where she may land. She was an All-ACC Freshman team member a year ago and perhaps their best player this year. This is the 2nd consecutive year they have lost their best player as Imovbiah transferred out a year ago to head to Dawn Staley's now-elite destination in Columbia, SC. She will have 2 years of eligibility left after a requisite transfer year to sit out.

(JMU fans hoping she will head to Kenny Brooks' program...which has been the best program in the state of Virginia the last few years...though, I imagine she will wind up at a power conference program some place would be my guess...perhaps South Carolina as well???)

Hasn't Dawn Staley run out of schollies yet? Davis is eligible next season for two more years. Thought she signed near the max. and had commits. totaling 15?

Venson could go to UConn., Gino is only in year 31 now.

Alabama is winless on the road this season. They are down by 1 pt, 23-22, at Tulane at the half. The winner of GT-Mercer plays the winner of the Bama-Tulane game.

Tulane wins by 1, 53-52, and advances to either host Tech or Mercer or travel to Atlanta or Macon in the 2nd Round.

Since attendance is so important in determining which team hosts the next round in WNIT, let's hope we get a bump there tonight from Mercer supporters.. just not too many in case they out-number us in our own gym. I give Tech credit for sending out an email to season ticket holders last week in anticipation of the WNIT bid. You were given the option of ordering first and second tickets. That way Tech could tell the WNIT folks .. look, we've already sold X number of tickets.
Tulane had an attendance of 627 last night, by the way. (Last year vs Elon in the first round of the WNIT, we had 421. Ouch. I remember it being a slim crowd but didn't realize it was that sparse.) In the game write up on the Tulane site, their coach credited the students for showing up and being loud. That must be nice. Let's get the dub tonight and go from there. Go Jackets!

I will give them credit for the email, but the Marketing Plan is horrible overall. Particularly when it counts in the preseason. One person sitting at a table inside the main gate from the ticket window and up the stairs to the right, does not get people to the gym.

It's time to change the apathy if they want to build momentum for the season progressing towards the end of a postseason game. Clemson has given out free tickets at their Men's games. Not saying that makes a big difference, although they have tried different approaches over the years.

Mercer brought its band and cheerleaders. Quite a few fans too. We are likely outnumbered in our own gym.

Sounds like it when Mercer scored their first points. Great to hear Beesball Richard with the call. Hoping to hear more from him this month.

Go Lady J's!!

Reactions: beesball.com
16-15 LJ's lead after 1Q. Sounds like both teams getting after it.

I tried to write off some of what I saw from her this season as immaturity. There's a reason she completely lost her role and her playing time diminished to near nothing while Tilford rose.

Completely out of control and poor decision making for a point guard. Often appeared to be playing for herself and not for the team. It's a shame. She is very talented.

Good 2Q as the Lady J's extend the lead out to an 8-pt lead, 29-21. Limited the Bears to 6 pts scored in the 2Q.

Hopefully the LJ's come out of the halftime locker room and bust this one open.

Rogers with 9 rebounds at the half. Impressive.

Someone said a WNIT game had a crowd of 12,500? Pretty sure that wasn't Tulane, right?

Richard was referencing the UTEP WNIT game they hosted last year where Irene Gari is shown at the WNIT website (that I mentioned to take a look at recently).

WREK is F'd up...again. Relying on Gametracker now. Boooooo!

WHITE FLAG

Rogers now with a double-double. Tilford only 3 rebounds away from the same. Tilford with 7 boards. Pretty good stuff.

Lady J's run away late for a 73-56 win. Nice! Coach Jo registers another 20+ win season.

Bring on the Greenies (hopefully in Atlanta).

Rogers... 15 pts, 15 boards
Tilford (perhaps the smallest player on the court)... 12 pts, 9 boards
Whiteside... 17 pts, 5 boards
Kat... 12 pts, 4 boards, 4 assists

I sure wish someone at Tech would get the game Monday on ESPN-3. Pretty please???

clap

I saw several of the team's biggest boosters pull out cash and credit cards during the game to buy dozens more tickets to ensure the home game in round two.

Reactions: beesball.com
Virginia came from way back to defeat VCU by 2 in Richmond.

Wake Forest defeated Charlotte by 3.

Hokies defeat Elon in Blacksburg by 9.

So, all 4 ACC teams advance to the Round of 32.

If Tech can beat Tulane Monday, we will play the winner of Wake Forest vs Fla Gulf Coast or Bethune-Cookman who play tomorrow night at FGCU.

Wake's win tonight was on the road at Charlotte. Of course, we've beaten Wake twice in our last 4 games.

If Wake was down I-85 on the road to Charlotte, maybe they can't draw 1k like we did tonight.
Certainly don't want to go to FGCU in a bandbox. Talked to Billy Knight when they were starting their program a few years back. Walter Banks introduced me, since they were friends from his Hawks regime. The Men have done well, so keep the Ladies away. Take my chances with Penna and the Deacs.

Attendance in 49ers land was 497 counting Mark, Laura and family, friends. So maybe they stay on the road, because obviously the road crowd was nil or close to it(that is an easy trip, as we have gone up to Wake more than a few times ourselves).

W.F. only won 72-69 against a 19-12 squad. Deacs. are now 17-15.

Found out Cryor went to Lab on this past Monday, is still part of the team. Not certain if this is strike two and she is back on this coming Monday for Tulane or we find out after the NIT or by the close of spring semester that she has withdrawn from Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT