ADVERTISEMENT

GT@Pitt, Oct 8...12:30 Kickoff on ACC Network

Little personal background on this play signaling thing. In my "random thoughts" post in the Miami thread, I specifically made note that a friend who was at the game told me that Tevin was signaling in the plays. Upon hearing this I responded by asking my friend - did you recognize any of the others signaling in plays? He said there were no others, to which I responded are you sure? He wasn't sure so I figured he just focused in on a familiar face and didn't see the others. So to hear first hand that our OC was totally clueless about this massive oversight is shocking to me. CPJ may be stretched way too thin, which would be understandable. There is a reason most programs allocate big bucks in the budget to hire a full time offensive coordinator.

Reactions: Melanie1
CPJ is just saying what every coach and one AD has said since the days of Boss Ross. GA Tech wants to be Harvard Monday thru Friday and Alabama on Saturday, or wtte. You cannot have it both ways. He won 61 games in his first 8 seasons - averaging just over 7.5 wins per season.

Ross won 31 in 5 seasons - just over 6 wins per season (all 11 game seasons, but one)
O'Leary won 52 in 7 seasons - about 7.5 wins per season (all 11 game seasons)
Gailey won 44 games in 6 seasons - about 7.3 wins per season (both 11/12 game seasons)

Dodd won 165 games in 22 seasons - about 7.5 wins per season (mostly 10/11 game seasons)

Perhaps 7 wins per season is not Gailey equilibrium, but Tech equilibrium, and Braine was right. Then again, I easily prefer the highs we have with CPJ over continuous 7 wins seasons.

Little personal background on this play signaling thing. In my "random thoughts" post in the Miami thread, I specifically made note that a friend who was at the game told me that Tevin was signaling in the plays. Upon hearing this I responded by asking my friend - did you recognize any of the others signaling in plays? He said there were no others, to which I responded are you sure? He wasn't sure so I figured he just focused in on a familiar face and didn't see the others. So to hear first hand that our OC was totally clueless about this massive oversight is shocking to me. CPJ may be stretched way too thin, which would be understandable. There is a reason most programs allocate big bucks in the budget to hire a full time offensive coordinator.

Boggles the mind, mate. Boggles the mind. Amazing.

For those not familiar with Pitt, obviously James Conner will get the hype leading up to and during the game. He's averaging 4.2 yards per carry. He's carried the ball 90 times thru 5 games (18 per game). He also has 13 catches out of the backfield for 169 yards. That's 577 combined rushing and receiving yards on the season for around 115 total yards per game. You know about the 2014 ACC POTY.

I saw a Raycom Football Saturdays in the South documentary on Conner a year ago and I gained a ton of respect for this young man. What a terrific human being and a credit to Pitt. Great to see him back playing after fighting a life threatening disease.

But, you might not be as familiar with two other guys.

Meet Quadree Henderson. He's like an A-Back in our offense. A hybrid. In the Pitt roster, he is officially listed as a WR. He's carried the ball 27 times for 323 yards - that's a whopping 11.7 yards a carry. He also leads the Panthers in receiving with 15 catches (for 158 yards). He's a speedy smaller guy at 5'8" 190.

And then, there is freshman RB Chawntez Moss. He's carried the pigskin 21 times for 152 yards - that's a nice 7.2 yards per carry.

If Conner heads to the sidelines for a break, Tech's D can't breathe a sigh of relief too deep because these other guys can burn us.

Midweek weather probe for the game at Heinz Field Saturday...

...cloudy, temps in the mid 60's with a 25% chance of light rain, winds 8-10 mph...with the way these 2 teams run the ball near 70% of the time, I doubt wind will be much of a factor on offensive plays. I hope Butker's leg is hurting on the flight back from excessive XP's and kickoffs. ;)

A lot of the same stuff you probably already know about him, but somehow I got to feeling a little better towards the end:
https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-q-a-georgia-tech-coach-paul-johnson

Rivals.com: Now if I don’t ask you about this, I’ll get an email from my boss. You recently made a comment that got made into a big deal about Georgia Tech and its commitment to football …

PJ: And it was totally blown out of proportion, like is typical with the media. What was said and what got reported weren’t the same thing. Basically, what I said was that if you have expectations, you have to have a commitment that equals the expectations. I never said that we were supposed to have the same facilities that Clemson had or that we couldn’t beat teams or anything else. When asked about Clemson, I said, “Do you think we have the same things they do?” The guy said, ‘No.’ And I said, “There ya go.” What I was talking about is that we need to have the same commitment to winning as those programs have. It kind of took a life of its own. And, of course, when one guy runs it, somebody else takes a part in it and runs with it. Then it turns into “Coach said we could never beat Clemson.” It’s like, “We beat Clemson two years ago. Since I’ve been here, we’re 5-5 against them.”

This game will tell us a lot about our team. This is a winnable game, but the guys have to play a complete game. Are they capable of keeping their wits after 2 straight losses and doing that? I just don't know... the echoes of last season are still strong.

Good to see the team getting going to its first true road game of the season.

Heading out of God's Country shortly ourselves. I decided to drive the nice vehicle for this one. Goin' in style to Pittsburgh...

b3320e60.jpg

Pitt was the breakout game for his program 2 years ago after two consecutive ACC losses. Can this happen again tomorrow?

It's Pitt's passing game that will Decide who wins not their running game.

Last edited:
Ugh. First drive futility continues for Tech's D. Hope they stay true to form and play well the rest of the way.

Hopefully that sparks the defense. Pitt is doing what they do - lots of pre-snap motion, lots of jet sweeps - and we don't look ready for it. Come on CTR, get your troops going here!!!

That was a demoralizing drive defensively. 1st & 25 and they still couldn't get a stop. Pitt's misdirection is confusing the D in embarrassing fashion. Kinda looks like what our offense does to defenses when it's running well.

Desperately need the offense to come out and get 7 here. Preferably with a time consuming drive...

Way to answer offense!! Concerned about 1:48 on the clock with Pitt having two timeouts in their pocket. Find a way to get a stop defense!

Whoa, gutsy go on 4th on our side of the field. Let's turn that conversion into TD drive!

Big big drop on 4th & 5. That one hurts. Alright D, let's see what you got.

Alright D good job to keep them out of the end zone. You get the feeling the offense needs to get TDs on the two or three possessions they have left in this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT