ADVERTISEMENT

GT@Pitt, Oct 8...12:30 Kickoff on ACC Network

Woohooo!! Nice block by JJ Green to spring Lynch!!! Alright D, let's get this ball back!!

YESSS!!! First lead of the game!!! Offense is clicking now. Come defense, do it again!!!!

Man oh man, why is Freddie releasing to the 2nd level on 4th & short? There was nobody back there to block anyway. Probably ball game right there. Oh well...

Game of inches. If Corey gets just a tiny bit more of that ball, it deflects safely to the ground and their big TD reception doesn't happen. If Blewitt pushes it just an inch farther right, it doinks out and we head to OT. Extremely disappointing loss today.

Why was there not a safety behind the receivers with a 7 point lead and roughly 6 minutes to play?
Another question...in a tie game, within Blewitt's range, why are we going for it on fourth down?

I would have rather faked a punt, depending on Pitts. alignment or punted, maybe getting a turnover or just going into O.T. with a little defense played.

Random thoughts...

Extremely disappointing effort from the defense, especially in the 1st half. Pitt's pre-snap motion and post-snap misdirection confused us. We simply looked unprepared. We had zero contain on Pitt's bread-and-butter jet sweep package - which just obliterated us. Defense looked a little better in the 2nd half but overall a failing grade for that unit. Depressing.

Offense scored on 6 of 9 possessions and played well enough to win that game.

It was good to see Parker Braun getting the start and all the reps at left guard. That kid really catches the eye on the O-line. He's got a bit of mean streak in him that I like on the line. Best looking true freshman on the line that CPJ has ever brought into the program.

We had three signaling plays in yesterday. Mixed it up between signaling them in and sending them in.

Antonio Simmons continues to impress with his individual pass rush ability. If he can improve his gap discipline against the run, he will soon be starting. Good to see one of our DE's flashing that sort of athleticism.

AJ Gray has a had a rough couple of weeks. Hope he can shake this slump off and get back to playing his A-game.

We blocked really well on the edge in this game. JJ Green had a monster block to spring Clinton Lynch for the TD. Great to see that part of the offense improving.

What in the name of Buddha was Freddie Burden doing releasing to an empty 2nd level on 4th down and 18 inches with the game in the balance? Not the sort of thing you expect to see from a senior.

Previous comment not withstanding, we are seeing fewer mental mistakes on offense with each passing week. With 15 underclassmen on the offensive two-deep, look for this machine to be hitting on all cylinders by the end of the season - and the next two seasons. Wanted to end this on a positive note, mates.

The team played hard. No need to be down on them.

My question on the fateful 4th down was why the heck did we run right at the 400 lb. behemoth that we hadn't moved all day long? Rocket toss went for 5 yards all day long. Just really questioning the play call, not so much the call to go for it - we hadn't really stopped them all day long, and punting with that much time left would have been a loss. Our D had a very bad day yesterday, but they competed hard, and we still should have won the game.

So, in the last three weeks, we've lost one we should have lost, lost one we could have won, and lost one we should have won. Should be 4-2 right now, could be 5-1 right now. We are 3-3 right now. With VPI and UNC ahead on our schedule. However, GA Sou is no sure thing at this point. I think we can get to 6 wins this season, but that HAS to start this week.

This team has to turn it around, or my concern is that Stansbury will feel serious pressure to make changes.

Summing it up with 2 words and more 2 words....

Fun game.
Disappointing loss.
Great trip.
3 wins.
3 losses.
As expected.
6 wins.
6 losses.
I hope.
Pittsburgh Rocks!

Summing it up with 2 words and more 2 words....

Fun game.
Disappointing loss.
Great trip.
3 wins.
3 losses.
As expected.
6 wins.
6 losses.
I hope.
Pittsburgh Rocks!
Glad you had a great time . I had them at 4-2 but Pitt was 1 of the 2 .
Still think it was the right call to go for it on 4th down. Maybe not the right play but still thought we could get it.

I think we'll rip Ga Southern. Offense is looking better. GSU isn't as good without Fritz, who I'd love to have as HC one day at Tech when CPJ's time is done.

I don't see us winning the 3 road games in November unfortunately. We have a better chance at Chapel Hell, where they play little defense (like Pitt). Looking forward to that trip. And, for some dumb reason, we tend to the play the Cesspool better at their Toilet Bowl than on Grant Field. Virginia Tech will be ugly. Looking forward to the tailhook there, but not so much the game.

Duke? They are unpredictable. We should win, but they play our offense as well as anybody not named Clemson. Virginia? Should beat them, but don't sleep on them. They are improving. By late November, they could be tough to beat. Yes, I said that.

I think we'll rip Ga Southern. Offense is looking better. GSU isn't as good without Fritz, who I'd love to have as HC one day at Tech when CPJ's time is done.

I don't see us winning the 3 road games in November unfortunately. We have a better chance at Chapel Hell, where they play little defense (like Pitt). Looking forward to that trip. And, for some dumb reason, we tend to the play the Cesspool better at their Toilet Bowl than on Grant Field. Virginia Tech will be ugly. Looking forward to the tailhook there, but not so much the game.

Duke? They are unpredictable. We should win, but they play our offense as well as anybody not named Clemson. Virginia? Should beat them, but don't sleep on them. They are improving. By late November, they could be tough to beat. Yes, I said that.
Agree with VT don't know what happen to them on offense they have sucked for years on offense. We know if anyone can stop our offense they could. UNC is one of those games the last team with the ball wins. Still think by the time we play Duke and UVa they we find a way to win.

Our three chances to get to 6 wins are GA Sou, Dook, and UVA. None of those will be easy, however, GA Sou just lost to a winless Arky State. Still, they will be tough. Dook and UVA should go down this year. Those games are all at home. It may come down to UGAg, though, and I feel pretty good about it as KS has not led a team against the option and neither has his DC. In addition, their O is not running well at this point.

Scored on 6 of 9 possessions. I still believe this QB gives us the greatest chance to win. Yes, too many missed blocking opportunities again, for whatever reason given(like releasing the defender in front of me, to get to the second level). I implore anyone to show me where the game plan for Pittsburgh was not for man on man blocking throughout the majority of the game. That is why pass blocking was much improved on Saturday.

Pitt's defense is terrible. Most any team will - and has - move the ball on them and put up points.

I only see 1 defense left on our schedule that will likely shut our offense down or at least make life difficult and that is Virginia Tech. Duke has played schematically and executed their approach really well the past 2 years in their wins, but they are a schizo team. We are not good enough right now to bring anything other than our "A game" and expect a win, so defeating Duke is no guarantee. Having said that, I think our offense can and will play them better this year.

Our defense? Pitt has put up points on everybody they've played. No excuses for our D at all. Just saying our game with Pitt has gone exactly like every Pitt game this year (less their opener against D1AA Villanova where Pitt won 28-7) - that is, high-scoring...lots of offense, little defense.

Virginia Tech will put up a ton of points on us. The Cheaters will too. But, I think we can score against the Cheaters to make it a close game late.

Tech likely finishes 6-6. Can't be too angry myself because that's what I predicted before the season. Our ceiling is 8-4...for that to happen, we upset both the Cheaters and Cesspool on the road. I would be thrilled with that - especially the win after Turkey Day of course. Our bottom is probably 5-7. That means we lose at home to either Duke or Virginia and lose all 3 roadies.

Tech fans better be careful overlooking Virginia. Should we beat them at home? Yes. Are they a complete pushover? Absolutely not. I fully expect that game to be close in the 4Q. Hope we blow them out, but not expecting it. In fact, the only blowout I even see possible is this upcoming weekend. And Southern will give us everything they've got.

For each season's 8 ACC games + Cesspool, here are some scoring and margin stats...

TECH SCORING (points per game):
GAILEY

2002 = 17.2
2003 = 18.7
2004 = 17.2
2005 = 17.9
2006 = 25.0
2007 = 19.7

JOHNSON
2008 = 25.0
2009 = 31.7
2010 = 24.8
2011 = 26.8
2012 = 36.7
2013 = 31.4
2014 = 36.4
2015 = 21.7
2016 (to date) = 19.8

TECH OPPONENT SCORING (points per game):
GAILEY

2002 = 22.3
2003 = 23.6
2004 = 21.8
2005 = 19.6
2006 = 18.9
2007 = 22.7

JOHNSON
2008 = 22.0
2009 = 23.3
2010 = 29.1
2011 = 27.0
2012 = 30.6
2013 = 25.2
2014 = 23.4
2015 = 29.2
2016 (to date) = 28.0

MARGIN (points per game):
GAILEY
2002 = -5.1
2003 = -4.9
2004 = -4.6
2005 = -1.7
2006 = +6.1
2007 = -3.0
JOHNSON
2008 = +3.0
2009 = +8.4
2010 = -4.3
2011 = -0.2
2012 = +6.1
2013 = +6.2
2014 = +13.0
2015 = -7.6
2016 (to date) = -8.3

This throws out the cupcake games, other OOC games and MEG's.

*2015 was Johnson's worst at Tech in scoring...2016 to date is even worse, though subject to change (hopefully).
*Look how the margin has dropped off the last 1 1/2 seasons compared to the previous 3. Also subject to change of course for 2016 we hope.
*5 of CPJ's 9 years have us giving up 27 or more against these 9 teams on our schedule annually. Our best 3 seasons ('08, '09, and '14) were when we gave up 23.4 or less.
*1 TD at Pitt was by the KO return team (nice!) and 2 TD's allowed to Miami were by our offense...but, over time we will see scores like that over the course of every season so no need in throwing out that data.

Side note: Tech went from 1995 to 2014 (20 years!) with at least a .500 ACC record. This broke in 2015 of course as we went 1-7. At 1-3 in the ACC and a very tough road game at Blacksburg in November on the horizon, Tech will have our work cut out for us to avoid a 2nd straight losing ACC record. Times are changing. Crossroads for Tech indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT