ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11 Microscope: Miami Hurricanes

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The Jackets lead the all-time series 11-9. Since Miami joined the ACC, it has been a swing of streaks. The Canes won the initial meeting as ACC members in 2004 on Grant Field. Then, the Jackets won 4 straight followed by the Canes winning 5 straight. Tech of course dominated time of possession and beat the Canes on a home Saturday night affair last year, 28-17.

This is the last regular season road game for the Jackets and will be on Miami's senior day. Al Golden's behind is very warm in South Florida. It is entirely possible the Canes are around 5-5 and fighting for their postseason lives (along with Golden's job) when the Jackets arrive. Then again, with a solid young QB and lots of talent (as always) available, if the Canes can play to their potential, this game very well could decide the Coastal Division. Miami has never won the Coastal and of course has never appeared in the ACCCG.

Sun Life Stadium, where Tech has never beaten Miami though is where Tech won its last game (Orange Bowl victory over Miss State), is undergoing major renovations this year. It is expected the place will be under construction in certain areas during the 2015 season. The orange seats will be replaced by Dolphins' aqua color. And, a very nice overhang roofing will be installed to cut down on the blazing sun and heat for spectators.

Future rendering of the stadium...
(2015)
2015-sun-life-stadium.jpg

(2016)
Dolphins31.png

ds4.jpg

Nice!

There have of course been some great games in this 20-game series. Many of us recall the 2004 game when Miami fans entered Bobby Dodd stadium wearing tee shirts that said "We may be in your league, but you're not in ours". Funny stuff. 11 years later and they still haven't played in an ACCCG game.

The following season featured one of the greatest wins in Tech football history as the Jackets shocked the 3rd ranked Canes in Miami 14-10...

Here's the highlights from last year's Tech win...

Tech blew Miami out on a Thursday night White Out in CPJ's first year at the Flats...

November 21st seems a long way away, but really looking forward to another great game in this series. Coming off the Thursday homer against the Hokies, Tech will have an extra couple of days to prep for the big road game in South Florida where hopefully Tech will come up big like its last visit to Sun Life Stadium.

I hope GT has the division wrapped up by this game. It will be late in the season and GT will have a great deal riding on the game regardless. Need a big win.

Concerning the stadium. I wonder how that structure will perform in a real hurricane?

So Al Golden is gone, I did not expect that so soon.

Must have been a bad locker room situation. Those Miami boosters will drive away every coach they hire. I bet they regret getting rid of Coker.

Golden was a good man. I understand that the players really liked him, the coaches too. I wonder how many of his coaches will stay?

November 21 TV announcement that makes no sense to me...

Chattanooga at FSU, 3pm, televised via RSN while Duke at Virginia at 3:30pm is going to be streamed live via ESPN-3. Seems like the ACC as usual drops the ball allowing FSU against a D1AA team get TV coverage while a conference game is relegated to online streaming. Odd.

I guess perhaps they figure there won't be more than 15K fans in SSS. Maybe less if it's cold and rainy.

I'm going out on a limb here(even if a hurricane doesn't blow me off my "Branch Manager" status)...picking the Sugar 'Caines to win 28-17.

Unfortunately during the last two games I have only been one point off between both of them. Need to be wrong because this mojo is not working for the good guys. But when I picked us against UNCheaters, we lost.

Totally unrelated, did you all notice the Panthers of Decatur St. have three wins now? Never would have thought this city would have 6 total wins this season and GSU would have half of them!

We are 0-4 on the road, not a good sign for us. Right now I don't see us winning maybe by the end of the week I may . I see a close game unless we can't or won't put any perssure on their QB.

Reactions: Melanie1
Miami mailed it in at UNC. will they do it at home?

Is this their last home game? If it is, they might be inspired for their seniors.

Miami mailed it in at UNC. will they do it at home?

Is this their last home game? If it is, they might be inspired for their seniors.
It is their last home game. Pitt. is on the road, 11-27.

I agree with stech81 on our dismal 0-4 road record. We might have to go back into the dark days to find our last .500 home record. At 3-3, with you know who looming...please salvage a winning BDS record!

Jabari has left the team on his own volition so he has played his final game at Tech. And then there were three...at the DT.

Jabari has left the team on his own volition so he has played his final game at Tech. And then there were three...at the DT.
If they don't play by the rules they need to go. I for one think a few more will go after the season. It may turn out to be the best thing. Just like 2013 let them go and keep the ones that want to play and will stay positive.

Good. More time for Cerge-Henderson and any others who want to play and progress.

If CPJ needs bodies, I think the 4 or so of us can pitch in. Though, Melanie may be the only one to get any playing time.

Good. More time for Cerge-Henderson and any others who want to play and progress.

If CPJ needs bodies, I think the 4 or so of us can pitch in. Though, Melanie may be the only one to get any playing time.
I'm good if they can call a timeout after I run on the field to catch my second wind.

I'm pissed off that the guy decided to abandon his teammates with two weeks left in the season. Not having him available to spell Cerge-Henderson is going to hurt badly. And it absolutely tips the balance in favor of the dawgs. Rob Sale's job on the week of Thanksgiving just got a hell of a lot easier.

I just hope that whatever is going on behind the scenes in this program vanishes before spring practice commences. When young men choose to abandon their teammates with a few weeks remaining in the season, something is very clearly wrong.

I dunno. If he is this down and out about the season or whatever is going on in his life (quite honestly, I don't even care what), then I'm glad he's gone. Staying only hurts the team. He isn't going to be giving his all and any type of negative approach/attitude/behavior can and will rub off on the others.

That goes for any of the rest of them too. If your heart isn't into it, get the F out. While I hear ya loud and clear and it sucks, I'll take Cerge-Henderson and any others who WANT to wear the W&G at less than 100% and dead tired over these guys who apparently don't care anymore.

As far as depth, possibly we move to more 3-4 type sets with 3-man rotation over the opposing center and add an additional linebacker. Georgia's hope against us is to get their running game going. We want them passing the ball. If we can somehow devise and execute a plan to slow down their running game, then we are aces.

I dunno. If he is this down and out about the season or whatever is going on in his life (quite honestly, I don't even care what), then I'm glad he's gone. Staying only hurts the team. He isn't going to be giving his all and any type of negative approach/attitude/behavior can and will rub off on the others.

That goes for any of the rest of them too. If your heart isn't into it, get the F out. While I hear ya loud and clear and it sucks, I'll take Cerge-Henderson and any others who WANT to wear the W&G at less than 100% and dead tired over these guys who apparently don't care anymore.

As far as depth, possibly we move to more 3-4 type sets with 3-man rotation over the opposing center and add an additional linebacker. Georgia's hope against us is to get their running game going. We want them passing the ball. If we can somehow devise and execute a plan to slow down their running game, then we are aces.
1000000 percent agree

Great point - and this did lighten my spirits a bit. Thanks, mate!

Thanks for breaking the news here for me(I was swimming with hoops tonight). I go on this site first for GT info. because you all are the voices of reason.

Totally agree with all of the feelings posted above me. Appreciate the logic and humor.

Melanie just got well, so I'll go out and play in her stead(although she would be better for the team). If stech81 can load me up with a nice brew, I won't feel the OL's trampling my ABack body.

You girls aren't going to believe this, but I heard a rumour (perhaps blasphemous) today that Tech plays a foosball game this upcoming Saturday afternoon at Miami. Yep. I'm not kidding.

Our loveable directionally-challenged friend, BuzzBabe, said something about trying to find a hotel near Yager Stadium in Ohio and wanting to know if she should dress for potential snow during the game. I didn't have the heart to tell her. But, you gotta love her.

Is she single? I'm pretty dizzy myself. Can call us Ditzy and Dizzy.
Promise that I'm clean and sober. I don't want stech81 jealous of me. I am praying his family duty worked out successfully today.

Tech is now a 2 pt favorite. Pretty amazing that a 3-7 team who is now in Week 12 leading up to its 11th game is now favored in its 9th of 11 games this season. o_O

Tech is now a 2 pt favorite. Pretty amazing that a 3-7 team who is now in Week 12 leading up to its 11th game is now favored in its 9th of 11 games this season. o_O
makes no sense ( with only 3 wins )

ESPN.com ACC bloggers split on who they think wins in south Florida... http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/88398/acc-week-12-game-picks-so-were-saying-theres-a-chance

(note, all 4 are looking for some points to be put up)

What's the over/under on attendance ya think? And, I'm not talking about that lying statistic they report of "tickets sold". I'm talking the definition of the word "attendance" which means people thru turnstiles.
I'm impressed they think we can score in the 20's. attendance they will say 43,000 people who are there 25,000. But what do i know I thought we would win 10 games this year. ( in football not basketball )

I would like to see us limit the possessions and run clock. These young guys, and a few of the veterans are better at run blocking. We need to use the passing game like once a half. Second and one from our own 30 with twin safeties up near the line.

Keep the DLine off the field as much as we can. Kind of like last years game, 39 minutes of TOP vs. 21 for Dah U.

The only noise factor in that stadium is when they are scoring TD's and we don't need that.

I would like to see us limit the possessions and run clock. These young guys, and a few of the veterans are better at run blocking. We need to use the passing game like once a half. Second and one from our own 30 with twin safeties up near the line.

Keep the DLine off the field as much as we can. Kind of like last years game, 39 minutes of TOP vs. 21 for Dah U.

The only noise factor in that stadium is when they are scoring TD's and we don't need that.
I must have missed the part about us being better at run blocking. :)

I meant to say, better at run blocking as opposed to "jail house rock", which is our pass blocking.

Can I wish for average to mediocre at blocking for the next two games? The DL has put us in a quandary if Gamble or Cerge-Henderson get hurt.

Melanie might have to put her daughter in the game?

I think Melanie's daughter is listed as questionable. That damn case of cooties is a beyatch.

I think the game Saturday may answer the age-old question "if a team scores a TD at a Hurricanes' home game, does anybody hear it?"

15,000 max in the stadium I betcha.

It just dawned on me that this week's split ACC Network coverage of the Game of Silence will not be televised here by TV Free Europe in God's Country. Thank Buddha for ESPN-3/WatchESPN because by golly I don't want to miss this humdinger.

TV affiliates listing FWIW... http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-the-acc-network-georgia-tech-at-miami-11-21-2015

(funny that Fargo, North Dakota, will get this game but we won't here in the upper chest area of ACC Country)

It just dawned on me that this week's split ACC Network coverage of the Game of Silence will not be televised here by TV Free Europe in God's Country. Thank Buddha for ESPN-3/WatchESPN because by golly I don't want to miss this humdinger.

TV affiliates listing FWIW... http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-the-acc-network-georgia-tech-at-miami-11-21-2015

(funny that Fargo, North Dakota, will get this game but we won't here in the upper chest area of ACC Country)
You always travel to Fargo to watch it on TV.
Just go about 1300 miles in a Northwest direction ( if you end up in Winnipeg you went too far back up )

Good point. Hopefully I can find a bar with good wings there. Weather Underground says the high on Saturday in Fargo will be 28 degrees. That's in Fahrenheit, not that silly Celsius stuff the rest of the world uses. Perhaps I should pack a coat. Damn, this is a lot of work. I might as well just go to the game. Not sure I can get a ticket though with the packed sold-out stadium and all the hoopla surrounding this barn burner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT