ADVERTISEMENT

G.T. 2018, 19, 20, 21, 22.WBB Recruiting, (5)Commitments.

A very good recruiting article from Prospects Nation... https://prospectsnation.com/story/fall-boycott-rumors

While about WBB, I think the same applies to MBB recruiting.

Case in point this past high school season, I went to see a player whoProspectsNation.com and most other outlets had nationally ranked. I heard the player was showing major progress in her game. I was flanked by two Division I college assistants at this game and the player everyone was there to watch was on the bench before halftime. While the player was clearly several cuts above the competition, the actual value in the evaluation was negligent. So in addition to providing more recruitable athletes to watch, non-scholastic basketball typically provides the competition to give those performances context. It’s hard to evaluate a host of uncontested layups at any event, be it club, showcase or high school action. Non-scholastic basketball answers the need for quantity and quality that scholastic basketball cannot.

Mary Martha Turner (Atlanta, Ga.), Greater Atlanta Christian – 2018

Mary Martha Turner is an EBA Camp
veteran and maximizes her time each
time. Turner has been a consistent performer at many Elite Basketball Academy events in past years. She brings a workman-like attitude yet always manages to have fun in a camp setting. Turner’s value as a prospect continues to trend upwards. Standing near 6-2, she has the size and wingspan to defend many interior players. Yet she is versatile enough to do damage on the arc as an offensive threat. She is becoming a match-up nightmare for defenders in the pick-and-pop game. As she demonstrated last weekend, she can help point guards get open by setting solid ball screens. However, her ability to get downhill with either hand on the 1-2 dribble bounce makes her an even bigger scoring threat. Turner will attend Greater Atlanta Christian this year after attending IMG Academy in recent years.

(non-GT)

A definite sense of pride that the top of this list started out at a young age in our local AAU program... http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2019

Impressive. When you have Geno Auriemma showing up during the summer between your 8th and 9th grade to watch you work out, I'd say you are well thought of. ;)

What is unusual about that list is not a single Georgian in the top 25 currently (subject to change of course). Then again, we've focused our recruiting so much outside the state that I guess it isn't such a bad thing??? Don't Know

I would say you are right about the question marking last sentence, although R.M. knows more about these matters than I do. IMHO, we would starve every year if only recruiting this state. Not because of the talent present here, but the obvious other challenges.

Quick story from about 3 or 4 years ago. One of our A.C.'s had a top talent from the Marietta area at Zelnak tour during her visit. Derrick Moore videos, great facility, etc., etc. Problem was she was pre-med., and we all know it can be done through GT, just like becoming a teacher or other noble professions work out here. The potential recruit found an easier path via another school, as her mom liked that idea more. We all know it is an extended education that is costly and takes much work no matter where you go. It was simpler for them to stay at one school to be a veterinarian or so they perceived.

If they are looking for an easier path, Tech is generally speaking not a good fit. And, I respect that. I say "generally speaking" because it obviously isn't always the case.

I like the international players because they tend to appreciate the opportunity more (again generally speaking), are less prone to do the transfer thing, and are open to teaching...while working their behinds off - back to the appreciation thing.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
2018-
GT recruit:

Leigha has been one of the top stock risers in the Hoosier state over the last six months. She has carried her high level of play from the club season into elite showcases and camps during August & September and continued to shine in fall exposure play. She is a 6’1 shooting guard that has deep range, a smooth mid-range pull up jumper, and is capable of handling the ball and taking smaller matchups to the rim with her length. Multiple D1 offers.

Last edited:
Prospects Nation has updated their '18 rankings... https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2018

Winder-Barrow's Olivia Nelson-Ododa is ranked #3. Honesty Scott-Grayson is #5. Not sure how much of a legit player we are with either. But, ESPN.com at least has them both with the Lady J's listed as a school of interest.

After watching all of Team USA's FIBA World tournament in Spain back in June, there is no question in my mind that Christyn Williams, who they rank #2, is the best player in this class...and, it isn't even close IMO. Lots of gals from Georgia on this list.

Others I've seen mentioned at one point or another... Rhyne Brown #18, Jessika Carter #28, Brinae Alexander #51, and Taylor Sutton (ESPN lists as a Tech commit) #84.

With former JMU HC, Kenny Brooks, now at Hokieville, you can expect that program to rise from the perennial ACC basement in the coming years.

Also, noticed Jordan Issacs, a major, major target of ours(her coach told a friend of mine, she loves us too!), among a few others on the list we are after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT