ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Pick'Em Contest: Week 6 of 14 (Oct. 7-8)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Quick Week 5 Recap: The Big Orange hail mary miracle at the Toilet Bowl ended in a push. stech81 stays on a roll as he is 19-10 over the last 3 weeks and has either posted the best or tied for the best record in each of those 3 weeks. Kudos to him. BornAJacket has been steady since opening week and continued with a solid 6-3 week and SPRITE6 also posted a 6-3 week and is right on BAJ's heels.

Standings thru Week 5:

BornAJacket 29-19 (60.4%)
SPRITE6 28-20 (58.3%)
stech81 27-21 (56.3%)
Texwood 26-22 (54.2%)
RyanS12 26-22 (54.2%)
GTJT622 22-26 (45.8%)
BFLJr 19-29 (39.6%)
kjmc15 18-30 (37.5%)
-------------------------------
stinger78 3-6 (33.3%)

Week 6 games and spreads below. Please submit picks before 4pm Friday this week. Thanks.

Game 1: Fri 7:30 (ESPN) #3 Clemson -17.0 at Boston College

Game 2: 12:00 (ABC) Notre Dame at NC State

Game 3: 12:30 (ACC Network) Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh

Game 4: 3:00 (CBS Sports Network) #6 Houston
-17.0 at Navy

Game 5: 3:30 (ABC) #25 Virginia Tech at #17 North Carolina

Game 6: 3:30 (CBS) #9 Tennessee at #8 Texas A&M

Game 7: 3:30 (RSN) Army at Duke

Game 8: 7:00 (RSN) Syracuse at Wake Forest

Game 9: 7:30 (SEC Network) Georgia
-7.5 at South Carolina

Game 10: 8:00 (ABC) #23 Florida State at #10 Miami

1) BC +17
2)ND +1
3)Pitt -6.5
4)Houston -17
5)unc -2.5
6)Texas A&M -7
7)Duke -4
8)WF -2.5
9)uga -7.5 ( if you think we have problems on offense watch usc)
10)FSU +3

An obscure rule in our contest by-laws you should be informed of...

...Rule 622-J Rev. T says in the case any games are cancelled due to hurricanes or other severe weather, all games that week, not just the cancelled game(s), are counted as wins for the Contest Commissioner and losses for everyone else.

GO MATTHEW!!

(I need all the help I can get...been hanging around a lot of Trump supporters lately)

:p

Quick Week 5 Recap: The Big Orange hail mary miracle at the Toilet Bowl ended in a push. stech81 stays on a roll as he is 19-10 over the last 3 weeks and has either posted the best or tied for the best record in each of those 3 weeks. Kudos to him. BornAJacket has been steady since opening week and continued with a solid 6-3 week and SPRITE6 also posted a 6-3 week and is right on BAJ's heels.

Standings thru Week 5:

BornAJacket 29-19 (60.4%)
SPRITE6 28-20 (58.3%)
stech81 27-21 (56.3%)
Texwood 26-22 (54.2%)
RyanS12 26-22 (54.2%)
GTJT622 22-26 (45.8%)
BFLJr 19-29 (39.6%)
kjmc15 18-30 (37.5%)
-------------------------------
stinger78 3-6 (33.3%)

Week 6 games and spreads below. Please submit picks before 4pm Friday this week. Thanks.

Game 1: Fri 7:30 (ESPN) #3 Clemson -17.0 at Boston College

Game 2: 12:00 (ABC) Notre Dame at NC State

Game 3: 12:30 (ACC Network) Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh

Game 4: 3:00 (CBS Sports Network) #6 Houston
-17.0 at Navy

Game 5: 3:30 (ABC) #25 Virginia Tech at #17 North Carolina

Game 6: 3:30 (CBS) #9 Tennessee at #8 Texas A&M

Game 7: 3:30 (RSN) Army at Duke

Game 8: 7:00 (RSN) Syracuse at Wake Forest

Game 9: 7:30 (SEC Network) Georgia
-7.5 at South Carolina

Game 10: 8:00 (ABC) #23 Florida State at #10 Miami

s78 burning it up! Just have to give you blokes a fighting chance.

BC
NCSU
GA Tech
Houston
UNCheat
UTee
Dook
WFU
USCe
Miami

Don't everybody copy me this week.

Last edited:
Looks like this a-hole Matthew will be sitting off the South Carolina coast Saturday evening if this projection holds true. Could have an effect on the Shivering Poodles playing over in Cock Country.

at201614.gif

(brings back memories of the 1989 Tech game over in Columbia when driving down seeing the devastation of Hugo was scary and sad)

"Hurricane Matthew causing concern for games around college football": http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/10/hurricane-matthew-causing-concern-games-around-college-football/

Georgia is slated to play SEC East rival South Carolina on Saturday at 7:30pm ET in Columbia, S.C., but a potential change of time or venue could be possible.

The hurricane is expected to make landfall on the South Carolina coast at 8am Thursday, and could have an impact as far inland as Columbia come kickoff time.

South Carolina has had to make a change in venue fairly recently as the floods ravaged the Palmetto State. The Gamecocks were slated to play LSU at Williams-Brice Stadium in 2015, but conditions led LSU to open their doors and for the game to be played in Baton Rouge, La.

Saturday’s forecast for Columbia now includes rain, a 40 percent chance of precipitation, in addition to wind gusts and a high of 79 degrees. By those projections, it seems as if it may not be too much of a hassle to play on-time and at Williams-Brice Stadium. However, South Carolina governor Nikki Haley disagrees.

Haley said during a Tuesday news conference that she “can’t imagine” the game being played in Columbia on Saturday, according to Matt Connolly of The State.

Pretty sure I can mak....errrr...dig up a contest rule that defaults to all the games logged as a win for me and losses for all of you. Btw, just a reminder, bribes are still encouraged and accepted.

Last edited:
4 more out on the course (including my picks). With those submitted so far, there will be no unanimous pick(s) this week.

Taking your time like BFL, Jr.? You analytics! Just noticed the first four letters of that word. Why are so many bad words, four letters in length?

I'm praying still for these evacuators to be safe, able to all leave before Matthew strikes.

On a more trite subject, if any of you have a problem with your account on the free side of Rivals, it does not delete, but more or less suspends itself or locks out the user for a period of time. Must be new or else I'm paranoid about being targeted. I locked a second account up with only a few posts, a third one with about a dozen in two days. Will try to stay under a half dozen per day(that should be a challenge!). Buzzforlife is my original account on here. Kjmc is my Hive/Scout name. Buzzbomb on Swarm and Stingtalk. Sorry for the confusion and musical chairs.

Maybe we should start calling you, Sybil, mate. Or do you prefer Herschel Walker?

(j/k)

;);););););););););););)

Reactions: SPRITE6
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

I've had a friend named Sybil, so that's fine. Herschel is a name for a dog or an old southern plantation owner, no offense to our beloved beagle(she's needed by Smokie vs. the Aggies this coming Saturday).

Thanks for the yoke, young BFL likes his scrambled in the morning. How did you get through these teenage years? I make him a three course, he goes to school and has breakfast and lunch, charges through the door needing another lunch. The nighttime lineup of food, puts Shamire Devine and his diet to shame.

Mine...

Clemson (BC might not score and I figure the Kitty Cats can put up at least 21...we almost did...hell, the TURKEY DANCE put up 49 on them)

Notre Dame (just going with the team who has played better competition to date)

Pitt (hope I'm wrong...I don't have as much confidence in our offense as I do Pitt's)

Houston (Navy has been unimpressive so far this season...UH is very good)

Va Tech (since fumbling away the game at Bristol, the TURKEY DANCE have been dominant)

Tennessee (Vols have that look of a team of destiny with these comeback wins...getting 7 is appreciated)

Army (just a hunch...Duke is completely unpredictable this season...going with the dog in their games seems like the play to me...won't touch a Duke game with my real wagering this season)

Wake Forest (come on Deacs!...don't lose a home game you should win)

South Carolina (the Cesspool is thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to being 2-3 or 1-4 even...getting the extra half point is appreciated...the SEC has a lot of mediocre teams...these 2 are in that group)

Miami (FSU plays no defense...Miami does, well more than FSU that is...Spray Tan Boy statues are being designed in south Florida already)

GTJT622, you are in big trouble sir and I'm in the same boat without an oar. We chose 9 of the same teams vs. the spread(believe I took the points in five, gave 'em in the other five). I had Houston, then deleted backwards on the keypad for Navy before releasing these picks. Too many points at Navy and they are due for a decent showing, but who knows, I really like UH's coach and team.

Hope we are wrong on Tech, right about the other 8. I'll lose Navy and take 8-2. Who am I kidding, I'll take 6-4 and go to the MEG of pickers.

Clemson - I have little faith that BC's offense can score any points against a good defense. Shutout alert.
NC State - Pack will roll up 600 yards of offense in this one. ND will score too, but not as much.
GT - I've yet to pick a winner in this contest with games involving GT. That all changes this week! Our offense has a tendency to hit home runs off the edge against teams with bad secondaries. CTR, just be sure to have your guys prepared for the jet sweep.
Navy - A few weeks ago I thought the Midshipmen would have an outside shot to pull off the shocker here. Not thinking so anymore, but their offense might cause some problems late in the game when Houston starts going down the depth chart on defense. Back door cover?
VT - I think the turkey buzzards win this one outright and I like it enough to play it. Best team in the Coastal by a decent margin in my estimation.
Tennessee - Vols inconsistent play finally catches up with them and they take their first loss, but a full TD is a lot. Vols lose but cover.
Duke - Army's loss to Buffalo inspires zero confidence in this spot. You never know what you're going to get with Cutcliff's crew this season but I doubt they could lose to Buffalo.
Wake - Syracuse stinks, Wake doesn't.
South Carolina - Kirby Smart's bull pups shouldn't be laying 7.5 to Buffalo (kidding, sorta), much less a mediocre Gamecock squad on the road. Take the points.
Miami - Unlike last week, Miami's talented running backs are going to find big huge lanes to run through against FSU's undisciplined unit. Kaaya's arm will be the coup de grace. I think Miami might win this one big, and Charles Kelly will be as good as gone.

Last edited:
this is the one I struggled with most. uNC's offense is good. VPI's defense is good. Should be a fun game to watch
VPI is usually a pretty fair road team over the years, plus a few points. The Cheaters have been good after the Mutt game(figures, right?). UVA seems to be covering like UNCheat, also. This stuff is difficult. Now I understand why people book instead of play and take the vig/juice.

Understand your dilemma and it might be more entertaining compared to our game at Pitt.

Hypothetically, would CPJ take Charles Kelly back? It was only about money, correct?
The idea being release one of the OL coaches not named Johnson or from the West....then move the staff around for CCK to stay on defense?

Don't want him back. We have a good defensive staff right now.

Some games I have my eye on this Saturday FWIW...you'll notice a theme among the Totals plays

Totals

*keep a close eye on the weather as always, but especially this week as that d-bag Matthew could have an effect on games like ND-NCSU, VPI&SU-Cheaters, FSU-Miami

• 12:00...TCU-Kansas over 64.5 (B12 default...TCU might score this many alone)
  • 12:00...Notre Dame-NC State over 64.5 (Irish can light it up but they play zero defense)
  • 12:30...Ga Tech-Pitt over 52.5 (I think Tech's offense will have a lot of success this week, but Pitt's offense will too)
  • 3:30...Iowa State-Oklahoma State over 66.5 (B12 default...Okie State will score a ton and ISU will follow up with their share as well coming off putting 42 on Baylor)
  • 3:30...Va Tech-Cheaters over 57.5 (Cheaters play no D, but they can and will put points on the board in bunches...Hokies wide open offense will have a lot of fun on the road)
  • 7:00...Texas Tech-Kansas State over 70 (B12 default...K-State is one of the few teams in the B12 who does take some pride in playing D...but, not against the Red Raiders...this game has gone over this number [70] 7 of the last 8 times and 6 of those were 79+...expect more of the same)
  • 8:00...FSU-Miami under 66 (normally, this is a head-knockin' slugfest...6 straight have played under this number [66])
Sides

• 3:30...Indiana +29 over Ohio State (Hoosiers coming off big win over Michigan State...IU has played under this 29 pt spread in 7 straight [they play annually]...Buckeyes overlooking IU to next week's big prime time game at Wisconsin?)
  • 3:30...Texas State +10.5 over Georgia State (Panthers actually play better on the road instead of inside an empty Ga Dome...game could be moved to a different time if they decide to move the Cesspool-Cocks game to the Ga Dome...TSU has 2 wins on the season and 1 over a decent Ohio team...GSU is winless and laying double digits?...huh?)
  • 3:30...Va Tech +2.5 over Cheaters (wrong team favored here)
  • 8:00...Miami -3 over FSU (I'll stick with the under as stated above, but FSU plays no defense so Miami covering 3 should be very achievable)

I have VT +115 and Miami -3 locked down. Have a feeling money will come in on both VT and Thug U so wanted to commit early. This is the best I've felt about any of the Pick'em's, so that obviously means I'm staring right down the barrel of a 1-9 week. MACHINE GUN Nevertheless, I parlayed the lot with a whole dollar riding on it. SNAP OUT OF IT

Last edited:
BFL, Jr.

Clem. wins by 28 pts.
N.C. St. wins by 7 pts.
G.T. wins 45-35, by 10 pts.
Houston wins 42-24, by 18 pts.
N.C. wins 43-40, by 3 pts.
Tenn. wins 49-42, by 7 pts.
Duke wins 38-30, by 8 pts.
W.F. wins 36-30, by 6 pts.
S.C. wins 28-27, by 1 pt.
F.S.U. wins 49-46, by 1 pt.

Predicting my dad uses all three handles and font names on here, by this Saturday. No playing in Athens for South Carolina.

Just noticed that I only have two picks in common with a red hot stech81. Suddenly not feeling so good about my selections... backpedal

Just noticed that I only have two picks in common with a red hot stech81. Suddenly not feeling so good about my selections... backpedal
If it makes you feel better I pick the team that I think will win and then go with the other.

I have VT +115 and Miami -3 locked down. Have a feeling money will come in on both VT and Thug U so wanted to commit early. This is the best I've felt about any of the Pick'em's, so that obviously means I'm staring right down the barrel of a 1-9 week. MACHINE GUN Nevertheless, I parlayed the lot with a whole dollar riding on it. SNAP OUT OF IT

Just locked in on my college plays. I'm leaving the ND-NCSU over and 2 plays on Hokies-Cheaters alone. Weather has me scared off. Weather Underground calling for 2 inches of rain thanks to that bag of douche, Matthew, in the Triangle area. Still may go as I originally thought, but hard to tell in that kind of environment (steady rain & wind, potentially half-full quiet stadium, etc.).

I bought a half point and went with Clemson laying 16.5 Friday night.

Thank you, fine gentleman.

Praying for you too! Hoping you are off the coast in Va.or getting far enough away in case it goes beyond the Carolinas. Early trip to Heinz Field?

Thanks, mate!

Looks like Matthew is going to take a hard right when he gets up to around Charleston or Myrtle Beach so I think the OBX and Tidewater areas will be OK. Quite a relief for those areas as they just got pounded a week or so ago with 10 inches of rain (of which we received very little here in God's Country). I will unfortunately have to miss the Volleybees game at Mem Gym Friday night. That's rare as SWMBO was a very good VB player in HS and it is her favored sport. We'll hopefully be at the hotel just in time to get the game via ACCNE.

I'll be off the grid for a while as we will be traveling through the B.U.tiful mountains of West Virginy, Western Maryland and Western PA. First game of the year in person for us. Just hope the dealers are as good to me as they were last time. Pittsburgh's city center is one of the most underrated in the world. Great place. Highly recommend it for any of you lesbians if you've never been there over the last 20 years. Not expecting a win, but do think our offense will move the ball and make some big plays. If our defense plays well, we'll be riding home with big smiles on our face and a 4-2 record at the halfway point.

Heard Tim Kaine state on CNN at 7:37 a.m., there is still a possibility of the Hurricaine Matthew hitting Virginia.

Not to get you alarmed, only because he was the Governor in Va. and the former Mayor of Richmond.

Have fun this weekend and bring back home the victory. We are saving ourselves for the probable win over GS and Volleybees next weekend.

No unanimous picks this week. Only 1 game featuring one team being selected while the rest took the other. That is, BAJ is going with the Orange of Upstate New Yawk to head down to Cigaretteville and take care of the Baptist Choir Singers with 2 1/2 in their pocket before the opening kickoff.

My reasoning for the pick:

Syracuse has that uptempo offense, snapping the ball every 18 seconds and WFU's defense is thin on the depth charts. As long as they limit turnovers (which is unpredictable) Syracuse will be in a position to score late on the tired Deac's defense. win by 7-10 points...

We'll see. The weather could change everything

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT