ADVERTISEMENT

Beesball...postseason thread

Both have very tough series coming up. I'm rooting for the Irish. Can't root for the Cheaters. Would love to see them miss the ACCT.

Cheaters defeat the Irish tonight.

ACCT standings heading into the final series before the ACCT starting Thursday for all...

1. Miami 19-6
2. Louisville 19-8
3. FSU 15-8
4. Virginia 16-11
5. NC State 13-12
6. Clemson 13-14 (took 2 of 3 over Wake)
7. Wake 13-14
8. JACKETS 12-14
9. Cheaters 12-15 (swept Duke)
10. Duke 12-15
----------------------------
11. Notre Dame 11-14 (swept BC)
12. BC 11-14
13. Pitt 10-16

Upcoming games...

Thursday
6pm - Miami at FSU (ESPN-3)
6pm - Louisville at Wake (ESPN-3)
6pm - Duke at Pitt
6pm - Cheaters at NC State (ESPN-3)
6pm - Va Tech at Virginia
6pm - Clemson at Notre Dame
7pm - BC at JACKETS (ESPN-3)

Friday
same schedule as Thursday except Cheaters at NC State starts at 6:30pm

Saturday
11am - Duke at Pitt
1pm - Miami at FSU (ESPN-3)
1pm - Louisville at Wake (ESPN-3)
1pm - Cheaters at NC State (ESPN-3)
1pm - Clemson at Notre Dame
1pm - BC at JACKETS (ESPN-3)
4pm - Va Tech at Virginia

Some scenarios to consider...

1. If Tech wins 2 of 3 this week vs BC, we clinch a play-in game at the ACCT at minimum.

2. If Tech sweeps BC, we are in the top 6 pool play (and save Gold in the process) unless Clemson sweeps the Irish in South Bend or Wake sweeps Louisville in Winston.

3. Tech could still get the 6th seed going 2-1 vs BC, but a lot of things would have to break our way in other series (ND would have to go exactly 2-1 over Clemson, UofL 2-1 or 3-0 over Wake, NC State win at least 1 over Cheaters, and Pitt win at least 1 over Duke).

4. Don't even want to think about the scenarios of Tech losing the series. ;)

Here's who I'm rooting for starting Thursday...

...1. The Jackets of course. We've got to take care of business or everything else is like a bowl game.

2. LOUISVILLE. UofL is in good shape to win the Atlantic Division and is on Miami's heels for the overall #1 seed at the ACCT along with securing a national seed in the NCAAT (which looks highly likely at this point). Read: motivation for the Cards. Would love to see the Cards win the series in Winston.

3. NOTRE DAME. Would love to see the Irish win 2 of 3 over the Kitty Cats. This is the key swing series IMO that will have an effect on who we are rooting for on Saturday if the JJ's take care of business against BC.

4. NC STATE. I'd love to see the Pack sweep the Cheaters and keep their cheating slimeball filth out of the ACCT, but just winning 1 game should be enough to help us. Being at home, that seems likely.

5. PITT. Just need the Panthers to avoid being swept by Duke at home.

Miami-FSU and VaTech-Virginia series don't really have any affect on our landing spot for the ACCT at DAP.

Perfect scenario? Tech wins our first 2 games over BC...UofL wins its first 2 games over Wake...Irish win first 2 games over Clemson...NC State and Pitt each register a win Thursday or Friday. This leaves us needing a win or Clemson beating ND on Saturday to place us into the top 6 and auto-qualify for pool play avoiding a play-in game and having to burn a starting pitcher in the process next Tuesday. Clear as mud, eh?

Agree we need to take care of business for our self. Unfortunately, we don't control our own destiny. Having said that, I highly doubt Wake sweeps the Cards. And, though it is perhaps more probable than Wake sweeping UofL, I doubt Clemson sweeps the Irish or the Irish sweeps Clemson in South Bend.

Clemson is 3-9 in ACC road games this season. After 3 straight home ACC series and a non-ACC road series at Ga Southern this past weekend, the Tigers haven't played a road ACC game since being swept at Louisville back on April 17. Last time Clemson won a road ACC game was April 9 in Game 2 of their series at DAP where Duke won the series, 2-1.

Weather may once again play a huge hand in how the standings finish up and who gets to avoid the play-in games as well as who misses the ACCT altogether (GO PACK!!).

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I won't go as far as saying this is one of Danny's better jobs this season. However, this is the best record we've compiled at this point in the season since 2011. And, I'd have to think if we had not lost Jonathan Hughes after the 2nd ACC series (win over Va Tech) of the season back on March 20, our record might be something more like 36-15/15-11 with a top 10 RPI, easily in the top 6 of the ACC, and pushing the button for a NCAAT regional hosting right now.

Since losing Hughes (and we lost King before ACC play even began), we are 5-8 in Games 2 & 3 in ACC series (read: after Gold is done).

Also, to update a factoid I threw out there a week ago, in our now 14 ACC losses, 13 of them we have given up 8 runs or more. We lost to the French this past Saturday, 6-3, for the lone ACC loss where we gave up less than 8.

Will provide some preview stats for the very important BC series coming up in a thread starter tomorrow. But, just a teaser...

...Tech is 2nd in the ACC in team batting percentage at .313 (UofL leads at .323). Boston College is last in the ACC at .261. BC is tied with FSU however for the 4th best team ERA.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I agree with the injury loses, it happens. I just wish it didn't happen to GT players as often as it does. There are never enough pitchers at any level of ball, so they all get over used.

Last edited:
Pitching injuries happen with most clubs and the Pros want to get pitchers early for the most part. Unfortunately, our luck has been a little worse than most of our conference foes. We seem to get picked off in the ML Draft, however not as much in the recent past.

Thought Jason Howell would be in the Bobby Moranda league, still not sure with all of the injuries.

1 Miami (FL) 19-6 0.760 3 @ FSU
2 Louisville 19-8 0.704 3 @ WF
3 Florida State 15-8 0.652 3 vs Miami
4 Virginia 16-11 0.593 3 vs VT
5 North Carolina State 13-12 0.520 3 vs UNC
6 Clemson 13-14 0.481 3 @ ND
7 Wake Forest 13-14 0.481 3 vs UL
8 Georgia Tech 12-14 0.462 3 vs BC
9 North Carolina 12-15 0.444 3 @ NCSt
10 Duke 12-15 0.444 3 @ Pitt
11 Notre Dame 11-14 0.440 3 vs Clemson
12 Boston College 11-14 0.440 3 @ GT
13 Pittsburgh 10-16 0.385 3 vs Duke
14 Virginia Tech 6-21 0.222 3 @ UVA

D1baseball has released a predicted bracket, with GT as a #2 seed in Mississippi State’s regional. The ACC leads other conferences with 10 bids:

National seeds: Miami, Louisville, Virginia

Hosts: NC State, FSU

#2 and #3 seeds: Duke, GT, UNC, Wake, Clemson

There are two non-Southern hosts, Fullerton (RPI #28) and Arizona (RPI #23).

Wiley B's scenario before the series opener with B.C. Eagles, and updated in parens.:

SWEEP BOSTON COLLEGE: Tech can finish as high as the No. 5 seed if all three of the following happen. No. 6 if two of three happen:
• 1 loss by Clemson and Wake Forest (Wake lost Thurs)
• 1 loss by Wake Forest (Wake lost Thurs)
• 2 losses by NC State

WIN TWO AGAINST BOSTON COLLEGE: Tech will reach the ACC Tournament but can only finish the No. 6 seed if five of the following six scenarios happen: • 1 loss by Notre Dame (ND lost Thurs)
• 1 loss by Duke
• 1 loss by North Carolina (UNC lost Thurs)
• 2 losses by Clemson
• 2 losses by Wake Forest (Wake lost Thurs)
• North Carolina sweeps NC State (Can't happen)

WIN ONE AGAINST BOSTON COLLEGE: Tech will need three of the following six scenarios to happen in order to make the ACC Tournament:
• 1 loss by Pitt (Pitt lost Thurs)
• 2 losses by Notre Dame (ND lost Thurs)
• 2 losses by North Carolina (UNC lost Thurs) OR
2 losses by Duke
• Louisville sweeps Wake Forest
• Notre Dame sweeps Clemson (Can't happen)

Play in game on Tuesday with winner advancing to Pool A.
Ga. Tech vs. B.C.
Shouldn't have to face Dunn.
The bad news, we don't have depth to our starting pitching.

NC State played its way into pool play with Saturday's 10-1, series clinching win against UNC. The Wolfpack (34-18, 15-13 ACC) is the five seed in the tournament, is in Pool A with one-seed Miami and four-seed Florida State and plays Wednesday.

The winner of Tuesday’s first-round game between Duke and Wake Forest will join Pool B. No. 2 seed Louisville (46-10, 22-8) leads Pool B along with No. 3 Virginia (36-18, 19-11) and No. 6 Clemson (38-18, 16-14).

BC will be a tough game again. They need everything Tuesday to get into pool play.

Can't believe that Clemson missed the play in games. I thought for sure Notre Dame would perform better.

LEADING OFF: STORYLINES TO KNOW

Tuesday will be the fourth straight game between Georgia Tech and Boston College. It marks the first time the Yellow Jackets ended the regular season and opened the ACC Championship with the same opponent since 2006.
Georgia Tech is making its 23rd straight ACC Championship appearance under head coach Danny Hall, who owns a 46-34 ACC postseason mark and five tournament titles.
Junior P Brandon Gold is 3-1 in his last four starts on the mound, including victories over top-15 teams Coastal Carolina and Miami. Gold has allowed two or fewer earned runs in 11 of his 14 starts (7-1 in those games).
In the month of May, sophomore 2B Wade Bailey is batting a team-best .421 (19-for-44) with a team-high 19 hits (18 singles). Bailey’s .400-hitting in the last 10 games comes on the heels of hitting .231 in a 29-game streak in March and April.
Georgia Tech has won their 93 consecutive games when leading after eight innings. Tech is 30-0 this season when taking a lead into the ninth inning.
Georgia Tech outfielders have an ACC-best 21 assists this season. Senior LF Matt Gonzalez’s has nine outfield assists, including seven that have resulted in outs at home.
While Georgia Tech leads the nation with 71 double plays, it’s been 2B Wade Bailey and SS Connor Justus involved in most of them. Bailey and Justus have combined to turn 40 of Tech’s 71 double plays. Either Bailey or Connor has been involved in 65 of Tech’s 71 double plays.
Georgia Tech is 33-3 when allowing fewer than eight runs in a game this season. Tech has allowed eight or more runs 19 times this season (2-17 in those games).
Senior OF Matt Gonzalez is the NCAA’s active leader in career hits (287) and sacrifice flies (22). Gonzalez is currently tied Jay Payton (1992-94) for fifth with 287 career hits. He needs 13 to become only the third Tech player in school history to amass 300 career hits.
Sophomore Wade Bailey is one of the toughest Yellow Jackets to strike out in 2016 (once every 11.15 at bats). In 104 career games, Bailey has struck out only 36 times in 423 at bats. Bailey’s career at bat-to-strikeout ratio of 11.75 ranks him eighth on Georgia Tech’s all-time list.
BIRDS AND THE BEES, PART IV
• Tuesday will be the fourth straight game between Georgia Tech and Boston College. Last week in Atlanta, the Yellow Jackets won the series opener (6-3) but then suffered back-to-back 8-3 and 7-6 losses in Saturday’s doubleheader.
• It marks the first time the Jackets ended the regular season and opened the ACC Championship with the same opponent since 2006. That season, the Jackets closed the season with a series win over Miami in Atlanta. Four days later, the Jackets beat Miami 2-1 to open the ACC Championship.

THE ROAD TO OMAHA
• Georgia Tech’s national title hopes begin this week at the ACC Baseball Championship in Durham, N.C. Tech is making its 23rd straight ACC Championship appearance under head coach Danny Hall, who owns a 46-34 ACC postseason mark and five tournament titles.
• Georgia Tech is 77-55 all-time in the ACC Championship with nine tournament titles.
• Georgia Tech is 0-1 vs. Boston College in the ACC Championship (only other meeting in 2009).
• Georgia Tech is 4-2 vs. Miami in the ACC Championship (last tournament meeting in 2014).
• Georgia Tech is 9-8 vs. Florida State in the ACC Championship (last tournament meeting in 2013).
• Georgia Tech is 13-11 vs. NC State in the ACC Championship (last tournament meeting in 2011).

THAT’S GOLD, JERRY! GOLD!
• Junior P Brandon Gold is 3-1 in his last four starts on the mound, including victories over top-15 teams Coastal Carolina (April 29) and Miami (May 7).
• Gold has allowed two or fewer earned runs in 11 of his 14 starts (7-1 in those games).
• Nine of Gold’s 14 starts have gone at least 7.0 innings, including two 8.0-inning appearances vs. UMBC (Feb. 26) and Coastal Carolina (April 29).
• While Gold’s record is 7-3, the Yellow Jackets are 10-4 when Gold starts on the mound.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
• Georgia Tech junior Matthew Gorst is among the best closers in college baseball. Gorst is 1-1 with 11 saves and a microscopic 0.49 ERA in 37.0 innings this season.
• More impressive is that Gorst’s home and road statistics are nearly identical. At home, Gorst is 0-0 with a 0.48 ERA and six saves in 18.1 innings. On the road, Gorst is 1-1 with a 0.48 ERA and five saves in 18.2 innings. A third of those innings came in a stellar 6.1 scoreless innings performance May 15 at Virginia (a Gorst win).

May 23, 2016
DURHAM, N.C. – Led by first-teamers Tristin English, Matt Gonzalez and Kel Johnson, seven Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets were named to the 2016 All-ACC Baseball Team, released Monday by the league office.
Tech had the second-most first-team selections with three, two behind Louisville (five). Joining Tech’s trio are junior pitchers Brandon Gold and Matthew Gorst, who were both named to second-team All-ACC, while junior SS Connor Justus was named to the third team. Catcher Joey Bart and English were named to the ACC All-Freshman Team.

The three first-team selections are the most by Georgia Tech since 2013, while its six All-ACC honorees are the most since 2011.

Gonzalez collected his third career All-ACC honor, becoming the first three-time All-ACC Yellow Jacket since current Detroit Tigers pitcher Buck Farmer (2011-13). The Acworth, Ga., native is the NCAA’s active career leader in hits (287) and sacrifice flies (21). Gonzalez leads the Yellow Jackets in batting average (.368) and hits (78), while ranking second in both home runs (9) and RBI (47).

English and Johnson picked up their career-first All-ACC nods. English is Tech’s first freshman first-team All-ACC selection since Kyle Wren in 2011. English is batting .309 with a team-leading 20 doubles, three home runs and 34 RBI in 52 games.

A year after earning ACC All-Freshman honors, Johnson is a first-team All-ACC selection. The Palmetto, Ga., native is batting .340 with a team-leading 11 RBI and 51 RBI. His 16 doubles rank second behind English.

Gold and Gorst formed a formidable 1-2 punch in 2016. The starter Gold was 7-3 with a 2.55 ERA and struck out a team-high 71 batters in 14 starts. The reliever Gorst owned a microscopic 0.49 ERA with a 1-1 record and 11 saves, which are the third-most in school history.

Justus, considered by many to be one of the nation’s best shortstops, was Tech’s lone third-team selection. Justus posted a career year, batting .340 with 73 hits, 14 doubles, three triples, six home runs and 36 RBI.

Georgia Tech boasted an ACC-best two players on the All-Freshman Team with English and Bart. The freshman duo hit above .300 for the majority of the regular season. Bart batted .299 with 10 doubles and 26 RBI in 39 starts.

Georgia Tech (35-20) opens the ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday (3 p.m., RSN/FOX Sports Southeast) against Boston College in a first round game. The winner advances to pool play which begins Wednesday at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, N.C.

For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTbaseball), Facebook (facebook.com/GTbaseball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.

GEORGIA TECH’S 2016 ALL-ACC SELECTIONS
First Team
Tristin English, Fr., 1B
Matt Gonzalez, Sr., OF
Kel Johnson, So., OF

Second Team
Brandon Gold, Jr., SP
Matthew Gorst, Jr., RP

Third Team
Connor Justus, Jr., SS

All-Freshman Team
Tristin English, 1B
Joey Bart, C

We will be a 2- or 3-seed on the road in a NCAAT regional. Most likely a 2-seed, though it really doesn't matter as the 2 plays the 3 anyway. The only way we are anything other than that is if Tech goes on a miraculous run at DAP going 5-0 (or 4-1), winning the ACC title, and our RPI runs up near top 10 due to knocking off the likes of Miami, FSU, NC State, and/or Louisville or Virginia. That has about the same chance of happening as CJP wearing a different GT polo shirt in public.

So, resigning myself to that reality, I've been thinking about how Danny should approach the regional. I think he has to roll the dice in Game 1 and NOT throw Gold. And, even if it backfires, I don't think he should take any heat for it. Gold must be saved to give the team a legit chance in Game 2 - either (hopefully) in the winner's bracket game likely against a strong SEC team playing at home OR in an elimination game, to which technically he could be saved again until Day 3. It isn't like after Gold and Gorst that Danny has anything whatsoever to turn to for a darn good reliable chance to provide more than 4 innings of solid pitching. And speaking of Gorst, he could be a starter option as well at the regional at this point.

As far as tomorrow goes, I expect Brandon to start and we will win. The rest of the week at DAP may be downright ugly at times. The only optimism I can find is that when this team gets hot offensively (see Clemson series for instance), it can overcome our pitchers getting shelled and walking people and poor defense.

Go Jackets!

Glad you lost a stone, instead of your sense of humor.
See your point completely about saving Gold. My theory is it is time to pitch Gold, Gorst as many innings as we can, without injuring their arms. I go Gold on Tuesday and Sunday(optimistically speaking). Gorst starts Wednesday for 7, and closes on Sunday. We don't play Saturday. I will pray on the Novena both Thursday and Friday.

Do you have any prayers left or did you use them all last week?

Actually I lost an annoying organ but who's counting at this age? ;)

I have to admit my prayers for the JJ's at The Ted quickly shifted focus to more selfish personal reasons. Kind of like the multiple times around 3am as a student at Ma Tech on Saturday mornings asking Buddha if he gets me out of this one I'll never drink again. Yeah, one of those moments.

Just want the JJs to win tomorrow so rest of week at least has something to follow.

I feel you. Autistic Son went in jail Thursday. Can't help him, because of "no contact" since he assaulted me. We both have Scabbie mites, from his last time apart from me. These are worse than the shingles virus. He won't get those shingles because he had the MMR Vacine, which probably made him Autistic.

It puts the baseball season and sports in general, in perspective. Although we all need some form of escape. Like hobbies, movies or whatever. I guess young people play too many video games. Our day, getting called in from the darkness was a bummer, not finishing the pick up games to eat dinner or do chores. Glad we have something to get our minds off our troubles.

Despite being out-hit, 13-5, and committing 1 error to Duke's none, Wake outlasts Duke 4-3 to join pool play. Game ended around 2:15 so my guess is the JJ's game will be on time around 3pm this afternoon.

Go Jackets!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT