ADVERTISEMENT

Word Of The Day - ABYSMAL

Jacketvp

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2018
Today's weather, the crowd and the game were all bad - no one can argue those facts. Yet "bad" doesn't come close in adequately describing how poor an effort was on display at Bobby Dodd this afternoon.

The preparation/plan of the coaches and performance by the players today can only be called ABYSMAL. That word means "immeasurably low or wretched" or "having an immense or fathomless extension downward or backwards."

As a season ticket holder for more than 30 years, and a lifelong GT fan, it was totally deflating to sit in the stadium this afternoon and watch that ABYSMAL display. While there have been difficult times watching our Jackets over the last 40-50 years there's only been one other era that I've been so disheartened - the 1992-94 season under a dysfunctional coach. I'm so sad to feel our program is at almost that same place now.

Since Coach Collins was hired I've felt some degree of hope. Much of that hope has been based on a sense of renewed energy and improvement in recruiting. Admittedly, the offense has shown some advances in statistical productivity. Unfortunately, improved recruiting has repeatedly failed to deliver necessary game changers on the OL and DL or LB, and improved offensive statistics have failed to provide enough consistency to win games. In many ways we've regressed.

As for the defense, ABYSMAL is not harsh enough a word.

When the season began a number of folks on this board were touting 7 or 8 wins and a bowl game as a sign of progress. My expectations were not so high. For me, 5 wins and a more disciplined team would be sufficient signs of improvement. At this point, I have no level of confidence another win is likely. Another 3 win season would be an ABYSMAL failure.

Making things worse is the fact that the ACC Coastal is horrible. After the UNC win most of us felt good about where this season might be heading. Additionally, FSU and Miami appeared to disasters, thus helping our recruiting efforts. Those two programs are still a mess, but at best we're an equal mess.

Just weeks ago I remained steadfast in my optimistic outlook with this staff (as optimistic as jonfreeman and others). My hope was wounded with most of the game at UVA, but the effort in the final quarter kept me off the edge of the cliff. However, today's ABYSMAL showing has broken my spirit. I think we'll finish the year at 3-9, or maybe 4-8, if Miami or BC somehow implode.

As I have for these many years I'll be in my seats for the games vs. BC & UGA - I refuse to be a fan who bails on our SAs. I'll also continue to contribute to our program in hopes that one day we'll turn the corner.

But be sure that ADTS and CGC will know that the point to which we have fallen is totally unacceptable. No doubt, the time had come for a change to be made after the 2019 season. We all knew the transition would be challenging, but where we are after today's loss is inexcusable. And to think that this coach may fail to have 10 wins over three years is unacceptable. Actually, that would be ABYSMAL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News