ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Weekend Football Scoop Sponsored by the Rogue Shop: Players not with the team, injuries and more

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
RogueShop.png

Shop the rogueshop.com for your alternative medicine needs. They may be more needed after today for some...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the weekend off I figured this was a good time for a quasi-War Room type deal.

On Jeff Sims, he has what I'd call a chronic injury, but it will likely be a week-to-week thing unless he decides to pull the plug on the year per my sources. Sims tried to go, but wasn't comfortable, and Sims plugged the plug. Per my sources, it is unclear what his status is for FSU as of today. If Sims can't go then it will be an interesting situation with Zach Gibson and Zach Pyron as the next two options. Pyron is more limited in what he can do in the playbook, but is more mobile than Gibson.

Gibson has the ability to play better than he showed on Thursday night, that was the worst I've seen him look and as I've said they would struggle to protect him without the run threat. Teams are just going to stack the box and dare GT to throw over them until they can protect Gibson. Taisun Phommachanh just struggles to throw the ball and he is not dynamic in the run game either. The lack of a similar backup QB to Sims remains a big issue. Each of the four QBs would need different plays so that is a problem too. I hate to take a W on the Gibson stuff, but I was telling the truth to you all when folks clamored to see him, the scheme is so different with him and the OL can't protect him.

This will come down to Sims' foot/ankle and it sort of sucks for Brent Key that will likely determine his fate as an interim HC, but that is how the chips fall. His OL play is a big piece of this and not getting it where it should be faster going is haunting GT right now. Geoff Collins and Key are the two people most responsible for that.

I've had people ask me about players who are no longer with the team. I saw four guys not dressed on Thursday or on the sideline, Kenny Bennett, James BlackStrain, Khatavian Franks and Christian Burkhalter. BlackStrain is out for the year with an injury. Bennett should be back, but Burkhalter and Franks are no longer with the team. This is the second time Franks has been away from the program. I do not have any further details on why those two are not with the team other than they are gone.

Still quiet about what happened with Mike Daniels and why he resigned and the circumstances leading up to it.

Defensively Andrew Thacker and Jason Semore are the two guys who deserve the bulk of the credit, Semore has been the wingman for Thacker and the LB play also has improved thanks to his work along with special teams.

No word on the 10th coach spot yet that opened when Daniels resigned and they moved Donald Hill-Eley to RB coach after promoting him to the 10th coach. I hope to have some clarity on that 10th coach spot soon. Not having a 10th coach didn't matter this past week because Key went out and you can only send out 10 of 11 on the field staff.

As far as what J Batt is thinking, I have no clue. He has spent a lot of time talking to people and getting an idea of where boosters are and the bigger picture, but what that looks like who knows. There are a ton of conspiracy theories on who he might target but again that is people connecting threads that might not actually connect.

The league is still dreadful so if GT can find some offense, with the way the defense is playing they can still win some games or they could lose all of them too. It will all play out over the next month ahead of the UGA game and this is where Brent Key can earn the job or not IMO. He has to figure out something that works on offense and keep the D playing up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News