ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL WAR ROOM: What's Next for GT Football, Changes

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
I was wrong about one thing in all of this, GT will wait until Monday to make a change at the head coaching position for the Yellow Jackets. As one source put it last night, "this is Georgia Tech, they keep business hours, look for it to go down on Monday." I thought they would do it on Sunday, but with the soccer thing going on and it being a weekend that is not the case.

Multiple sources have told me that Geoff Collins will no longer be the head coach at Georgia Tech on Monday and to expect Brent Key to be named the interim coach per multiple sources as well. As I pointed out in another thread, almost always a coordinator is not named the interim coach because that disrupts the team too much. This should not be a surprise to anyone on here who has read the tea leaves after the 2021 season. Key will have an opportunity to audition himself for a few games, but I expect the replacement will come outside this staff barring an impressive run the rest of the year. I know the board likes to crap on Key, but he had the toughest draw of the entire staff in the transition away from the option and the smallest margin of error. His first recruiting class is guys who are currently just early in year three on campus and didn't have a real freshman offseason or season due to covid so that hasn't helped. Not to make excuses, but there is a reality behind it.

I was told to have a story ready by sources well before Saturday's game in case the game went poorly and it did. A famous quote loved by Paul Johnson rings in my ears, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Collins loved to talk about attention to detail and doing things at an elite level, but the opposite was seen on the field over and over.

The next question is what happens with ADTS. Throughout the lead-up to the season and really since the end of the offseason last year I've said ADTS tied himself to Geoff. Here is a direct quote from a high-level source on why ADTS is in trouble. "If Todd had signed (Collins) to a five-year contract he probably would live to see another day. Now we have to fire Collins with over three years left on his deal." That is cut off but you get the idea.

How/when/maybe if that goes down is something for another day. All of my tied in sources and most of the boosters I've spoken to want a clean slate with the AD and HC moving ahead.

As I've said I take no joy in reporting any of this. I actually like Collins. I have zero relationship with ADTS like all of the media. He has been press-shy his entire career. I was talking to Brandon Helwig about this and the famous line at UCF was that George O'Leary was the AD for football and Stansbury was the AD for every other sport when he was there. Stansbury is the first AD in my 20+ years doing this to not really have any regular media contact aside from a radio spot. I think he has held maybe three press conferences since Collins was hired in December of 2018. That is unusual in my experience both covering P5 and G5 programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News