ADVERTISEMENT

WAR ROOM: the State of GT football moving beyond 2021

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
As always what is reported here stays here, it does not go on other boards, TWITTER groups or otherwise. Anyone who violates that and I find out will get permanently banned from JOL.

As I've stated for a while I expected some changes in the offseason and my sources have confirmed there should be multiple staff changes and changes in responsibilities as well. There is a reason why Collins finally admitted to the poor coaching angle in his post-game presser last night. He is onboard with aiming to fix where things are not working to save his own bacon.

ADTS could make a change with Collins if he wanted, there is support and a way to make the money work, but he wants to give him time to fix his staff issues and turn the corner, but the ND loss and the likely blowout (insert gross analogy) coming with UGA this week has drained more of the goodwill from money people for Collins.

I also expect a run on staff who have good reps and are desirable at other places and it will take some work to keep those people in the fold for 2021 or beyond. The other issue will be who wants to jump on to what appears to be a sinking ship for Collins staff wise and GT may have to overpay to replace some guys. There is support for raises for some key people as well.

ADTS is fundraising for his discretionary fund right now and that was used to help pay for the transition from Collins to Johnson. He could be using that money to help pay for new high-level assistants or preparing for future separations.

The wild card in all of this remains the school president who could bankroll any changes that ADTS or even people above him want. He has not engaged yet, but a lot of people close to him are embarrassed with the state of the program and the losing and the general view of Georgia Tech football right now and how that reflects on the Institute so that remains a wild card piece.

So to sum things up, money is not the issue, ADTS could make a change after the UGA game if he wanted to. Collins who sort of was just doing his own thing has fallen into line and agrees also that it is not working the way he expected either. They expected to go bowling this year and not have a bottom 100 defense and a middling offense in year three with one of the five best RBs in college football.

On the Jahmyr Gibbs thing, there will be people trying everything in their power to get that kid to leave via the portal, he operates on his own thing and is a different kind of kid, but the losing has definitely worn him down a good bit. He wants to win and he wants to feel like he is being showcased for the next level. On Saturday at Notre Dame, he was avoided on kickoffs and they could not get him the ball in space and that is a problem.

Don't jump off the bridge, people are trying to fix things and if they are not fixed obviously bigger changes will be on the horizon IMO. It is a little hard to write some of this because I really like Collins staff on a personal level and most of them are closer to my age than PJ's staff was so I think that probably helps with those relationships but at the end of the day this is a results-driven business and Collins barring maybe the biggest miracle upset in CFB history is about to be 9-25 as HC at Georgia Tech and the guy he replaced was 21-16 with two bowl trips and should've had a third bowl trip had the admin actually paid for the buy game needed to replace a canceled UCF game in 2017 that they thought was not worth going to a bowl at 6-6 at the time. Pretty sure everyone involved with love to be in that situation right now. That is unacceptable at GT and everyone knows that from the top to the bottom of org. The clock is ticking...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News