ADVERTISEMENT

WAR ROOM: Georgia Tech Football Team 6/30

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
As promised during my video the other night here is the WAR ROOM this will focus only on FB team stuff.

I'll go spot by spot.

In an overview mode, Brent Key had a lot to clean up as things got a little odd prior to him taking over and there were academic issues and other things that needed to be cleaned up. The team's GPA took a significant jump in the spring. Some guys had to really buckle down and focus, but they have and the classroom piece is improving, which will help Key tremendously with his goals moving ahead.

At the QB spot, Zach Pyron is the leader in the clubhouse for the job, but Haynes King has been improving. Essentially the feedback from the TAMU transfers was a lack of player development from Jimbo and his staff overall. There were some shocking things that some of the players were unfamiliar with in terms of just base techniques and intricacies of their positions that should've been taught in year one on campus at any major school. I had someone tell me it was shocking how little player development was going on with those kids. So King is in that curve of having to learn QB fundamentals while trying to compete and learn a new offense. Pyron just had to learn a new offense because he already knows Weinke's coaching style and what he demands with things like footwork for example. I've sort of maintained for a while I don't expect them to name the starter for game one until after the second scrimmage in Fall Camp at the earliest and honestly given the unknowns of playing Louisville I would not be shocked if Key just said F-it and doesn't name a starting QB before the first game at all publicly. Brody Rhodes has made some significant strides a well despite being a walk-on and the staff are very pleased with how he has come along.

At RB, one interesting tidbit I keep hearing is that a lot of people would not be shocked if Evan Dickens either ends up as the starter or the #2 running back before the season ends. His development has been rapid and his body just needs to catch up with the mental side of things (he needs to put on some good weight). Dontae Smith is likely the #1 guy going into the season, the key for him will be staying at 100 percent as he was not at times last year and still played really hard, but was clearly not his usual self. Jamie Felix and Tre Cooley are battling for that second spot at the moment. Both of them have things they need to work on, but Felix is very talented as well. The staff moved Jamal Haynes to running back as well to give them another weapon out of the backfield and to help him contribute on the field this year possibly as the slot position is stacked at the moment.

Speaking of slot receivers that might be the most interesting position to watch as the talent has really ratcheted up in that room with Malik Rutherford, Christian Leary, and newcomers Eric Singleton and Bailey Stockton. Rutherford is rock solid and is very dynamic. Leary is more of the jet-sweep, screen-type guy, but SIngleton is really interesting because he is insanely fast like Ahmarean Brown fast and can fly down the field like AB did to take the top off the defense and it is not like Rutherford or Leary are slow. I would not be shocked to see Singleton line up at outside receiver either and his hands are solid, he just needs to improve his route running, but on a go ball, it will be very hard to contain him. Stockton came to GT as a PWO, but I am going to bet he ends up on a scholarship if he continues to develop. He can play inside and outside and the other guys working out with him this summer have raved about him.

The biggest news at WR is Leo Blackburn is ahead of schedule with his rehab. There is a decent chance he plays this season probably more toward the final 5-6 weeks of the season, but he could be cleared in October if his rehab remains on schedule. Chase Lane has come in and worked very hard and impressed everyone with his desire and skills. I was a little bit underwhelmed by the addition, but if he can translate that to the field he could be a steal of a pickup. Abdul Janneh continues to improve and he is a very solid outside guy. Dominic Blaylock is the big X factor guy in the room and he will be playing the X receiver spot for GT. He is an elite talent but hasn't stayed healthy in his career. DJ Moore is having a good offseason and he is a guy I think could break out. Right now he needs to add some more weight to his frame and stay healthy. Zion Taylor is in freshman land right now just learning the playbook and what to do, but they really like him as well.

Sliding over to TE, Luke Benson has been the guy everyone has spoken about from offseason workouts. Benson missed the spring recovering from an undisclosed injury, but he is a very dynamic guy in the passing game. Apparently both Benson and Dylan Leonard didn't enjoy their Chip Long experience and that may have impacted their performance on the field last year. Leonard had a strong spring and both have traditionally been known as sure-handed receivers, but both had drop issues last year. Hopefully, that goes away. Leonard just needs to stay healthy, he has had tremendously bad luck with injuries and has played through significant injuries the last two years that hampered him on the field. Brett Seither is the other guy who the coaches are very excited about. Seither sprained his ankle ahead of the spring game and basically pushed his way onto the field in the spring game and then reinjured the ankle in the spring game and they had to take his helmet away because he wanted to go back in. That kid just wants to play ball and that is a welcome change. The staff are very excited about Jackson Long as well, he just needs to develop his body.

Upfront on offense, Corey Robinson II is having a strong offseason at a key time for him as the staff was actively shopping for someone to compete against him for the starting job. He is benefitting from working with coach AJ on his S&C and he is seeing results. If he can hold off the competition that will allow GT to keep Jordan Brown inside at guard. The transfer from Charlotte missed spring ball but he is a massive guy and he can help fill out the guard rotation that is suddenly deep with Joe Fusile and either Connor Scaglione or Paul Tchio as the starting two guards plus Brown and Jordan Williams if necessary. They are putting Williams back at right tackle for the upcoming season where he is competing with Jakiah Leftwich and Robinson/Williams/Leftwich would be the three-tackle rotation with Brown as a fourth option if necessary. Scaglione can also play all five OL positions if necessary so that is a cool depth piece. At center, Weston Franklin has really stepped up his leadership piece and they have an interesting future group there with Brandon Best and Gabe Fortson now as well. Tyler Gibson who I thought would be in that tackle rotation has not progressed much yet. The newcomers all look the part as well, I do not expect any of the true freshman OLs to play a role this upcoming year and that would be a welcomed change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News