ADVERTISEMENT

WAR ROOM 8/12

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
What is said in here stays on this board......

WAR ROOM

My current depth chart 3-deep based on my sources, this is all in flux though because they have two major scrimmages left.

QB- Justin Thomas, Matt Jordan or TaQuon Marshall
BB- Marcus Marshall, Dedrick Mills, Marcus Allen
AB- Clinton Lynch, JJ Green, Nate Cottrell
AB- Ike Willis, Lynn Griffin, Qua Searcy (having trouble staying healthy)
WR- Ricky Jeune, Antonio Messick or Jalen Camp
WR- Brad Stewart, Mikell Lands-Davis, Harland Howell
LT- Eason Fromayan, Andrew Marshall, Bailey Ivemeyer
LG- Will Bryan, Brad Morgan, Kenny Cooper
C- Freddie Burden, Andrew Marshall, Michael Muns
RG- Shamire Devine, Scott Morgan or Parker Braun
RT- Trey Klock, Jake Stickler, Jahaziel Lee

SDE- Rod Rook-Chungong, Desmond Branch or Tyler Merriweather
NT- Pat Gamble, Kyle Cerge-Henderson, Brandon Adams
DT- Francis Kallon, Brentavious Glanton, Brandon Adams
RDE- KeShun Freeman, Antonio Simmons or Tyler Merriweather
SAM- Terrell Lewis or David Curry, Tre Jackson
MIKE- Brant Mitchell, Chase Alford, Tyler Cooksey
WILL- PJ Davis, Vic Alexander, Emanuel Bridges
FCB- Lance Austin, Meiko Dotson or Dorian Walker
FS- AJ Gray, Shaun Kagawa, Christian Campbell
SS- Corey Griffin, Lawrence Austin, Jalen Johnson
BCB- Step Durham, Lamont Simmons, Ajani Kerr

A few guys are dinged right now, Marcus Marshall, Qua, Cottrell and Brad Morgan.

Anree Saint-Amour and Jordan Woods have struggled in camp so far, Saint-Amour might be a good Sophomore Redshirt candidate, he will have a couple of weeks to get into the top 5. Woods is very raw and hasn't been coached very well in HS so he will take some time, but they have plenty of depth there and he has nice frame. Anree just needs some time to develop too, CMP is high on both of them, but he told us this week "some guys are struggling with technique and are used to be. Simmons and Merriweather having good camps so far and you could see them playing both end spots this year in pass rushing situations.

Brandon Adams is doing well and is in the rotation and should at least dress to start the season, he is the 5th DT right now and CMP is very happy with how he is coming along from what I've heard.

Linebacker has been a little thin in the second group, still expect that Brant Mitchell is starting and they are trying to motivate and push him with the Chase Alford stuff. Terrell Lewis has multiple roles and is doing well at SAM with David Curry, they will be able to play more base 4-3 with them because they run well enough to create some mismatches against spread sets if needed.

Lamont Simmons is having a much better camp than spring, not sure if the lightbulb came on, but the staff is pleased and he is giving Step Durham a good push for PT.

On the offensive side, Qua Searcy is still battling the injury bug as is Nate Cottrell, pretty normal for guys coming off injuries so they are in the back half of the starting six, Ike is probably the best blocker so he is getting a lot of one reps and Clinton Lynch has been the best AB so far. JJ and Lynn are nice complements to those two for a solid four-man rotation at the top. Hoping Lynn and JJ will push more as they get used to playing more.

Wide receiver has not been a great competition so far, Philpott is struggling to regain his HS form and is rusty from missing basically the last year. Harland Howell isn't quite ready to contribute yet, MLD and Messick are okay, but nothing special. Camp is a lot like Brad Stewart, but neither are huge downfield threats yet. Ricky Jeune remains the top guy, this group needs someone to breakout and get some confidence and be a bigger threat because that makes a huge difference in the offense.

Offensive line wise, first group is very solid, second group has some issues depending on how they line up and they need Brad and Scott Morgan to grow up quickly to help at guard otherwise Parker Braun and Kenny Cooper may have to burn their shirts. Stickler and Marshall are okay as backup tackles.

Special teams are fine, Butker they are hoping will have a huge senior year, just want Rodwell to not shank punts every fourth time.

FOOTBALL RECRUITING

The focus here out is mostly on the defensive side of the ball with the final 9ish spots left.

Need at least 2 DTs, 1 DE, 1-2 LBs and 1 safety

That leaves two offensive spots one skill and one that will either be OL or another skill spot like B-back or WR.

DT wise, a few hooks still out there. I expect CBP will make another trip out to Hawaii since GT has two offers out there. A new name to keep an eye at DT is Ben Hutch from Nashville, GT has gotten in the mix with him. He will OV to Nebraska in mid-Sept. Having Brandon Adams here and playing this fall could really help there with Hutch.

DE wise, Cortez Alston is the most likely guy, but I don't get the warm and fuzzies on either side there, I think both sides would like a different option.

LB wise, lots of balls in the air, Kendric Haynes, Leonard Warner as inside types and Bruce Jordan-Swilling as an OLB/BB and Malik Robinson as an OLB.

Warner is still in limbo land with UGA, they are slow playing him and I don't understand what he is waiting around on. Maybe he wants to take OVs. No new news on the rest other than Haynes is more in play that I thought he would be, I like him a lot.

Skill wise, GT still working on Malik Willis and they are getting help from the local commits who are all over him, I still think he flips to GT as long as the season goes okay.

Safety wise, Stuart Head still in play, Gentry Bonds in play and a few others.

CPJ would take the Swilling boys I think no matter what happens.

that's all I got, have a good weekend, I'll have post scrimmage updates tomorrow, family night for me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News