ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Thoughts on Pastner...

Dan McDonald

Silver Member
May 19, 2008
I know a lot of y'all are going to hate on the hire of Josh Pastner if it happens, but hear me out.

GT was going to have a really hard time attracting the type of coach many of y'all want, given the circumstances. The program just isn't in good shape right now and needs to be re-built. It's hard to convince good coaches to leave good situations to do that.

That's why I think Pastner is a smart hire for GT. If there is one thing Pastner does well, it's get players. He's going to hire assistants with the idea in mind of getting players. He's always done that at Memphis, and until recently when he's lost momentum, he's done it well.

Keep in mind, Josh was pretty young (31 if I remember correctly) when he got the Memphis job. He was following a legend there, which isn't easy. It's not like he's never had any success. He started off very well. He just lost momentum the past few years and has had a hard time getting it back. As GT fans, you just need to hope he's learned from his first stint as a head coach just like you would have had to if it was Jeff Capel.

I know Josh a little bit. He's a really good dude and a bright guy. I'm sure he's going to do some things differently this time around. If things don't go well, at the very least, he'll leave the next coach with players IMO. I can't sit here and tell you there is no risk to this hire, but I think it's a very calculated risk by the AD. I'd give him a chance if I was y'all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News