ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING The three QB's visiting

hiveredtech

Oct 26, 2003
It was asked in another thread to compare the QB prospects...I will give you my two cents if you want but everyone can look at the video and make their own judgment. I did not have time to look at full game film to look for some other characteristics. For instance, none of them appear to be a "lower the shoulder" type runner but quite frankly there is not a lot of film of them being hit much. All are athletes and could play other spots which is nice...and none are runners that simply try to get the edge each time. They all seem willing to cut it up the middle of the field. One could make an argument for any of them...I trust the coaches to make the right call with this one....too close to call for me.

In alpha order...

Lucas Johnson- SR VIDEO 6-3, 185 (San Diego- Mt. Carmel, CA) - also could play WR & S; visit 1/15
The most accomplished passer of the three...poised in the pocket and on the field. Smart with the football prior to contact...uses change of speed well when he needs to run. It does not appear he is ever under center but looks comfortable with the mesh in the gun. Has a good frame for the position.

Deshaunte Jones- SR VIDEO 5-10, 170 (Cincinnati- Colerain, OH) - also could play AB; visit 1/22
He is the only one of the three that is under center....and he runs a lot of what we do. He is comfortable with a quick mesh from the FB and making the read. He may not have straight line speed, but he is the quickest of the three. He is extremely elusive and loves to do that Walter Payton step. I have to wonder if size would be a problem....I am not even sure he is 5-10 and he weighs 170. There is not a lot of film on his arm...but in the little there is it appears there is work needed in that area.

Jay Jones (NO OFFER YET)- JR VIDEO 6-1, 190 (McAdory, AL) - visit 1/15
Jay is similar to Lucas, but just not as poised...but he does keep his eyes downfield when scrambling. He throws well but probably not as well as Lucas Johnson. As a runner he likes to put that arm out to fend off would be tacklers. He appears careful with the ball...uses change of speed well to make people miss. When working the mesh point out the gun it is a bit sloppy....which could just be a function of this team, coaching, etc....not a lot of "sell" happening. He has a good frame for the position.

Reactions: NewtonGT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News