ADVERTISEMENT

Stansbury online in the GTAA

stinger78

Mar 19, 2016
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/stansburys-first-objective-at-tech-heal-and-unify/ntG8n/

He's here and ready to go, already having made a strong statement backing CPJ and the current direction of the football program. If anyone comprehends the difficulty of that enterprise, it's Stan, and he can appreciate the job that CPJ and Co. have done. That is a good thing for us.

I see Stan as a "football AD," like Radakovich was, but with ability to oversee the other sports as well. He brings a lot of great experience at UCF and OSU, two large programs, as well as inside understanding of Tech as a school, as an athletic enterprise, and as a training ground for life. I'm stoked.

I saw Bobinski as a "basketball AD." No people skills at all, it seemed. Apparently did the best he could for our MBB program, but the jury is still out. Honestly, never bought into his vision, nor could I articulate it. Nor can I see it with the hire of CJP, but it's early. I think he saw the job was beyond his expertise and left.

I saw DRad as a "football AD." Very good people skills, but just didn't know Tech folks, though he did try very hard. He grasped out football issue quickly and made a great hire for us, IMHO. However, IMHO, he misjudged our fan base with the Tech fund. Many were still irritated over losing long time seats for a perpetually empty chair back section. Then he virtually eliminated the AT Fund that we had been paying into for decades. Though I do understand the financial aspects, it was a bad PR move. Also, bungled the NCAA inquiry badly. He did, however, manage to upgrade facilities and set us up for being competitive again.

I saw Braine as an "Olympic sports AD." He was generally good at managing the overall program, and it generally performed moderately to fairly well under his leadership. However, he left us in a pile of debt over the stadium expansion, and he presided over the whole flunk-gate thing. IMHO, took a far too course-grain and expansive a view of Tech athletics without hiring enough savvy underneath him with those dealing with the fine-grain issues.

Thoughts?

MHO, Tech Fund may have stabilized the budget, but it has hurt ticket sales.

I like the concept of the chairback sections, but it never should have been east stands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT