ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Staff updates and portal updates 3/22

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
As of yesterday, Damon Stoudamire informed the three remaining assistant coaches they were not going to be retained. I'm still not hearing much of possible replacements, I have a lot of feelers out to sources to try to track down info.

As far as current players on the GT team, they all really liked Stoudamire after getting over the shock of the firing of Josh Pastner. They are listening and waiting to see what happens with everything. There are some guys I expect to leave or not be on the team in the future (not in the rotation at the end of the season), but I'll hold off until I'm sure about saying anything else.

However, Damon has been busy working on the portal. His priorities lineup with what I've thought they need at least one big man and a guard who can drive to the rim and has more length that can play the 2/3 spot.

Stoudamire reached out to former Florida wing/guard Kowacie Reeves Jr. He knows GT and was recruited by Pastner, but went to his dream school at the time Florida. Then Mike White left for UGA so I think that threw a big curveball there. He is 6'7" and would give GT a little more size on the wing. He was a 5-star coming out of HS in Macon. Boston College. UNC, Indiana, Miss State are also involved in his recruitment.

He really struggled with his shot in his two seasons in Gainesville with a 37.7 FG % and a 37.9% FG in two seasons and he was just 26% from three this past year averaging 8.5 ppg. He is also known for his wild hairstyles.

Reeves is supposed to visit GT soon per Jake Weingarten

Ball State big man Payton Sparks 13.9 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 0.9 bpg has heard from GT, 6'9" 240 center.

Undersized 4 Clarence O. Daniels II from New Hampshire has heard from GT as well, 15.3 ppg, 10.7 rpg at just 6'6" I'm sort of curious if he can get into GT, he started out at a community college before going to New Hampshire.

Forward EJ Jarvis (Yale) has heard from GT as well 11.3 ppg, 5.5 RPG, 1.5 BPG 6'8" PF/C type.

UTSA G/W DJ Richards 10.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 33.3% from 3 has heard from GT

Pitt big man John Hugley IV has heard from GT, he missed all but 8 games this season, but was very good in 2021-22 14.8 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 6'9" 250. A bunch of teams are interested in him. He famously was involved in some weird car theft debacle

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News