ADVERTISEMENT

Report: USC and UCLA headed to the Big Ten

I think our saving grace is the SEC playing defense against the Big Ten. The SEC does not want the Big Ten in the southeast creating a fully national conference. This dynamic field force the hands of Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina and effort to keep the big 10 away. This could also give leverage leverage for North Carolina and Oklahoma State to join the SEC.

Ironically, we could have a choice of super conferences.
What little insider info I have also indicates smoke regarding B1G.

He couldn’t make Ibeeballin appreciate Orange bowl blowout wins, and he can’t make me appreciate 9-26. Vacation or not, that’s the two sides of the Tech fanbase.
This is both a "K" and " Melt" reaction!
I missed them both.

If we do leave for the B1G (or anywhere else) it will be in the mid-2030s. If I'm still breathing I don't know that I'll still be at full capacity. So I'm just gonna relax and (try!) to enjoy what I/we have now and be thankful. We could be a no-name B12 school (all the ones that are left) and genuinely be in jeopardy.

If we do leave for the B1G (or anywhere else) it will be in the mid-2030s. If I'm still breathing I don't know that I'll still be at full capacity. So I'm just gonna relax and (try!) to enjoy what I/we have now and be thankful. We could be a no-name B12 school (all the ones that are left) and genuinely be in jeopardy.
Everything I’m hearing from podcasts and what not is that both the SEC and the Big Ten want us simply because they don’t want the other one to have us since we sit right in the capitol of SEC football territory. It’s an extremely lucky situation to be in since we’re so down right now. Getting the money from either conference would change everything. Pay off our debt, get better facilities, be able to recruit better, be able to get better coaches, etc. If we go to the SEC we should be happy. It’s better than staying in what will become a totally irrelevant ACC. It’s probably more likely to go to the SEC since the TV contracts of both ACC and SEC are ESPN. We may start out as the Vanderbilt of their conference but I believe overtime we would move right up to Auburn status (at least) due to being in ATL and having money to compete. I also think this will happen quickly otherwise we’ll be left in the dust by others clamoring to move.

Reactions: KA#12
If four announce to the SEC for 2036, and four more then do the same for the B1G, they would have the votes.

Realistically, if 3-4 schools announce they are leaving for the B1G or SEC in 2036, the dominos will fall and they’ll get to leave much much sooner.
THIS is why the GoR protects us, and is a good thing. What happened to the PAC12 or Big 12 is not going to happen to the ACC; the contracts won't allow it. At least eight teams will need to leave the ACC for anyone to leave, and we will be in that group. How the two groups shake out is anyone's guess, but that's the way of things at the moment.

THIS is why the GoR protects us, and is a good thing. What happened to the PAC12 or Big 12 is not going to happen to the ACC; the contracts won't allow it. At least eight teams will need to leave the ACC for anyone to leave, and we will be in that group. How the two groups shake out is anyone's guess, but that's the way of things at the moment.
I think now that if even two schools announced they were leaving in 2036, that more would quickly follow to the point where 7 or 8 schools would be in that boat,

I think now that if even two schools announced they were leaving in 2036, that more would quickly follow to the point where 7 or 8 schools would be in that boat,
Agree. The behind-the-scenes strategy by the B10 & SEC is what I'd love to read about after all this is over:

Will the SEC let the B10 move south - or not?

Reactions: KA#12
Everything I’m hearing from podcasts and what not is that both the SEC and the Big Ten want us simply because they don’t want the other one to have us since we sit right in the capitol of SEC football territory. It’s an extremely lucky situation to be in since we’re so down right now. Getting the money from either conference would change everything. Pay off our debt, get better facilities, be able to recruit better, be able to get better coaches, etc. If we go to the SEC we should be happy. It’s better than staying in what will become a totally irrelevant ACC. It’s probably more likely to go to the SEC since the TV contracts of both ACC and SEC are ESPN. We may start out as the Vanderbilt of their conference but I believe overtime we would move right up to Auburn status (at least) due to being in ATL and having money to compete. I also think this will happen quickly otherwise we’ll be left in the dust by others clamoring to move.
Which podcasts? Can you find the links? I only heard this listening to Mike Farrell.

Reactions: BuzzThePlumber
I will also be shocked if the SEC or B1G go beyond 16 teams. (only caveat is if ND wants to join the B1G). Why share those gazillions of $$$ with any more schools, especially since all the big names have already been gobbled up?

I’m sure lots of UGA folks would be losing their minds about GT to SEC but I think GT to SEC is the most likely move for these reasons:
(1) Allowing Ohio State, Michigan and possibly Notre Dame to play in downtown ATL each year would be unacceptable to them. These teams would invite local recruits to the games and would allow them to expand their brand in the South.
(2) ESPN owns both ACC and SEC TV contracts so they can make it happen / work contract wise (Easier than trying to get ESPN to let us out of a contract to go to Fox). Plus the SEC and ESPN do what’s best for both of them together.
(3) I don’t think any SEC teams would have an issue with GT joining the SEC other than UGA; especially to keep the Big Ten out of ATL. (Although UGA fans would be losing their minds)

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...tech-be-a-target-for-big-ten-or-sec-expansion

I’m sure lots of UGA folks would be losing their minds about GT to SEC but I think GT to SEC is the most likely move for these reasons:
(1) Allowing Ohio State, Michigan and possibly Notre Dame to play in downtown ATL each year would be unacceptable to them. These teams would invite local recruits to the games and would allow them to expand their brand in the South.
(2) ESPN owns both ACC and SEC TV contracts so they can make it happen / work contract wise (Easier than trying to get ESPN to let us out of a contract to go to Fox). Plus the SEC and ESPN do what’s best for both of them together.
(3) I don’t think any SEC teams would have an issue with GT joining the SEC other than UGA; especially to keep the Big Ten out of ATL. (Although UGA fans would be losing their minds)

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...tech-be-a-target-for-big-ten-or-sec-expansion
Both of the Mississippi schools are the only schools that voted no to GT moving back to the SEC. Dooley and UGA were for it. The Mississippi schools were still mad at GT because Dodd would never travel to Mississippi to play. He said our fans would never travel to the small Mississippi towns to watch them play and he wanted them to play in bigger market cities. Ole Miss and Mississippi St never got over it.

Both of the Mississippi schools are the only schools that voted no to GT moving back to the SEC. Dooley and UGA were for it. The Mississippi schools were still mad at GT because Dodd would never travel to Mississippi to play. He said our fans would never travel to the small Mississippi towns to watch them play and he wanted them to play in bigger market cities. Ole Miss and Mississippi St never got over it.

When was this?

From an academic culture and competitive standpoint, I think the Big10 is a better fit for us than the SEC. On the other hand, I’m sure that Maryland and Rutgers thought they were going to make waves with the windfall of cash they’d receive by joining the Big10 as well. I’d argue that we have a bit of a higher ceiling than those two programs though. I don’t know what the impact would be as far as our recruiting is concerned and whether we’d automatically have more name caché when going into these homes and still having to compete against our neighbors in the SEC.

If we were to join the SEC, road trips would be amazing and recruiting would drastically improve. I don’t know if it would improve enough to matter because you can have a top 20 class in that conference and come in 10th in the conference ratings. Likewise, if we’re playing uga, Alabama, auburn, Florida, etc every year in conference it’s gonna get really tough, really quick.

I don’t think the SEC has much desire to get us, but I could see them trying to keep the Big10 out. Even so, the Big10 could pivot to other southern schools in the ACC. What will be interesting to see is how the old school Tobacco Road crew deal with this and whether they all stick together. One thing we don’t have to worry about is being tied at the hip with other in-state schools like uva/vt and UNC/Duke/ncstate/wake do.

Going from recall and not bothering to look it up. Thus a caveat on accuracy but pretty sure this is right.

Tech missed readmission by one vote. Yes, the Mississippi schools voted “no” for the reason you cite. The leader of the “no” group, vigorously so, was Shug Jordan from Auburn. For many years Dodd would only play Auburn on Grant Field. Leader of the “yea” segment was the Bear and Bama. Dooley and UGA took the weasel way out, abstaining. As I recall.

hmj

Going from recall and not bothering to look it up. Thus a caveat on accuracy but pretty sure this is right.

Tech missed readmission by one vote. Yes, the Mississippi schools voted “no” for the reason you cite. The leader of the “no” group, vigorously so, was Shug Jordan from Auburn. For many years Dodd would only play Auburn on Grant Field. Leader of the “yea” segment was the Bear and Bama. Dooley and UGA took the weasel way out, abstaining. As I recall.

hmj
Tech did not get back in the SEC for one reason only. Vince Dooley. It was 1978(or 79). We needed UGA’s vote. Instead of voting he abstained. Leaving us one vote short.

Now don’t get me wrong I want to leave the ACC as much as anyone but had they not thrown us a lifeline in79/80 Kelly might not have a board now to discuss GT sports.

hmj
I don't remember that about Shug, they were close friends. They both hated the Bear. Nor about travel. The only team we played regularly and refused to travel was Clemson as I remember.

I don't remember that about Shug, they were close friends. They both hated the Bear. Nor about travel. The only team we played regularly and refused to travel was Clemson as I remember.
Sometimes long term recall plays tricks. But I’m positive on this one. Don’t know when Tech-Auburn went home-and-home but through the 50s it was Grant Field only.

Auburn brought a ballyhooed team to town mid-50s. Bobby Freeman QB, Fob James, HB. (Went on to be governor of Alabama.) Early first quarter, fumble, Tech recovers. Belly play sweep, Leon Hardeman walks in. Dodd Luck! Game over. Auburn hated the trek to Atlanta every year just like Clemson did.

@BuddyLee is spot on about Dooley and UGA leaving us hung out to dry by abstaining. He disliked Dodd since the day when he was Safety for Auburn, Dodd isolated on him, sending Buck Martin on a delay for (caveat: depending on memory here) 4 long TD passes, Dooley having been suckered up to stop the run…..Dodd and Shug might have been cordial but the latter actively lobbied to block Tech. The Bear, despite the harsh words about Graning-Holt, being dropped from our schedule, worked equally hard for thumbs up.
hmj

Sometimes long term recall plays tricks. But I’m positive on this one. Don’t know when Tech-Auburn went home-and-home but through the 50s it was Grant Field only.

Auburn brought a ballyhooed team to town mid-50s. Bobby Freeman QB, Fob James, HB. (Went on to be governor of Alabama.) Early first quarter, fumble, Tech recovers. Belly play sweep, Leon Hardeman walks in. Dodd Luck! Game over. Auburn hated the trek to Atlanta every year just like Clemson did.

@BuddyLee is spot on about Dooley and UGA leaving us hung out to dry by abstaining. He disliked Dodd since the day when he was Safety for Auburn, Dodd isolated on him, sending Buck Martin on a delay for (caveat: depending on memory here) 4 long TD passes, Dooley having been suckered up to stop the run…..Dodd and Shug might have been cordial but the latter actively lobbied to block Tech. The Bear, despite the harsh words about Graning-Holt, being dropped from our schedule, worked equally hard for thumbs up.
hmj

From 1902-1973 we played Clemson in Atlanta only.

1906-1959 for auburn.

Members of the Pac-12 and Big-12 are meeting today to discuss Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, and Colorado joining the Big-12. I feel like things are going to start falling quick and if you don’t make a decision soon you may be left out.

What are the expiration dates of the Big XII and PAC-12 TV contracts?

Who’s bidding on the next ones; just Fox, or others?

hmj
Maybe playing Auburn in Atlanta only started after the 1896 game when Auburn students greased the rails of the track into town and the Tech train skidded several miles past the station. The team had to walk back to town and lost 45-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT