ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING WAR ROOM: Upcoming visitors, re-emerging targets, more

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
Ahh, yes. The final Sunday night before the college football season (officially) kicks off. The (not so) calm before the storm.

For months now, Georgia Tech recruiting in the 2023 class has had a bit of weird undertone to it. The negative recruiting by other coaches has been heavy on head coach Geoff Collins and his re-made staff, even going back to the end of the 2022 cycle. The intensity and hype that have surrounded the program the last three off-season has disappeared.

The time for results is now. Recruits are watching... committed, non-committed, and currently committed elsewhere..

Before I get too far into that notion, the time has come to empty my notebook on GT targets/commit from the road thus far in Georgia...

On Wednesday night, the biggest takeaway between the two games (Parkview vs. Johns Creek, Kell vs. Cherokee Bluff) was the upside that Parkview QB Colin Houck showcased in terrible weather conditions. Houck, a MSU baseball commit who was at one point GT's top target at the position, flashed on several occasions. From talking to people on the baseball side of things, his decision to focus on baseball was a surprise to no one.

In fact, the biggest surprise in regards to Houck and his recent decisions, per sources, was his decision to still play football this season.

Houck is surrounded by a duo of 2024 four-stars, as both Mike Matthews and Jalyn Crawford are two of the state's best regardless of class.

Crawford holds an offer from GT, and is planning on watching closely to see what next steps the program may be able to take this coming season. His plan this season includes watching every game they play this season, breaking down their defensive scheme and how he may fit into that.

After spending Thursday at Emory's softball evaluations, Friday night was spent at Milton HS. Thompson (Ala.) was thought by many to be a favorite in their matchup against Buford (Ga.) but they proved to be no match as Buford pulled away. Buford is loaded with talent, but if you made me guess I would say that 90% of the "big-time" names (KJ Bolden, Eddrick Houston, etc.) end up leaving the state for college. Georgia Tech would be smart to continue recruiting the school, but it is looking currently like the state of the program is going to prevent them from signing anyone from the school in the near future.

The second game of the night featured Lipsomb Academy in Tenn. and Milton, and the talent on the field was STRONG. Kaleb Beasley was the best player on the field, but there were some others that caught my eye as well. Among that group is 2024 Milton WR Debron Gatling, who was less than 100% but still showed flashes in the pass game. Gatling was a threat to score every time he touched the ball, which led to him being covered by Beasley as the game progressed.

Gatling has seen his recruitment cool down a bit of late, and though Georgia Tech is a school he had a good amount of interest in early on, the communication there is not what it once was under previous WR coach Kerry Dixon.

Former S target Bryce Thornton, now thought to be leaning towards UF, did not have nearly as big of an impact as I was expecting going into the game. He played on both sides of the ball, but just didn't wow me with his athleticism or football IQ. I'll see him again later this season I am sure, but my first impression was definitely disappointing.

On the other side, 2023 QB Hank Brown had himself a day.. making throws all over the field and looking the part of a future P5 quarterback. The crazy thing? Brown is currently committed to Liberty. Credit Hugh Freeze and his staff for a quality early eval on that one.

Saturday was when I realized (in the span of a 15 hour workday) the immense amount of talent there is in the state of Georgia.

First game of the day, North Gwinnett vs. McEachern, in almost any other year the field would be full of four-stars and other Power Five kids.. not so much this time around, at least in the short term. 2025 QB Ryan Hall was fun to watch, and the dual-sport talent could be a candidate for an increased level of interest if he can stack performances like the one he had.

Grant Godfrey has the look of a tweener, and as a result it seems no one is certain where he will fit in best at the next level. Whether it be safety or linebacker, Godfrey will be around the ball regardless, but his frame doesn't look the part of one that is going to be able to put on the amount of weight needed to play LB. GT was sniffing around early, and depending on what happens on the field could re-emerge, but as of now he is a name fans can drop down the list quite a bit.

Speaking of all over the field, it felt like every time I looked up, Tyler Walton was making a play on the ball. It isn't everyday that a 6-foot-5 defensive end is leading a winning team in tackles, but that is exactly what Walton did. Can't say enough about him.

Second game of the day was one of the best, as Norcross got ahead of Brookwood early after forcing Alabama commit Dylan Lonergan into some early mistakes, and a big proponent of that was GT WR commit Zion Taylor. He was able to help both with his blocking and his pass-catching, and showed why he was a priority target for GT under both KD and DA. Taylor is faster than he gets credit for, and is in serious consideration for a ratings bump despite it being early on. 2024 ATH AJ Watkins is a name to remember. I doubt he plays QB at the next level, but I would love to see him either playing another position, or in a camp setting where he can showcase his athleticism. WR Nakai Poole made some big plays as well. He was also a one-time target, but is now committed to Miss. State.

Game three of the day was the best game I have been able to watch live in several years, and that was Mill Creek taking on a Walton team that is led by my new favorite 2024 QB, Jeremy Hecklinski. On a day in which everyone had already been counting on Lonergan being the best QB to step foot on the field at MBS, Hecklinski stole the show in a losing effort. The Walton QB finished the day with 425 yards, 4 TD, and several plays that just left you shaking your head wondering how many other HS quarterbacks in the country could make some of the plays he was.

2024 Mill Creek RB Cam Robinson impressed as well. He was wearing GT gloves, but I doubt that means anything more than wanting to have the grip. If interest is shown between him and GT it will be something to look back on down the road.

Also impressing were potential GT targets Makhail Wood (23) Cameran Lloyd (24) and Makari Bodiford (24)

Last game of the day was the one that everyone was expecting to get out hand was the Marietta vs. Grayson game.

The Rams program is loaded with talent, from the top to the bottom.. even the waterboy looks like a future P5 recruit!

GT is not as involved at the school currently as they have been in the past, but man oh man was Jalen Smith good. The linebacker, who GT offered just a bit too late, will be watching GT closely this season, and could even make his way back to MBS for the game for the GT vs. Clemson game along with several teammates in a week.

That group is expected to also include long-time OL target Waltclaire Flynn, as his relationships around the country continue to Grow and he begins considering a trimmed list. GT has been in the mix for so long that I am honestly not sure what other schools are still pushing for him. Time will tell, as Sept. 1st is now just a matter of coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News