ADVERTISEMENT

Prior AJC Investigation on SAT grad rates, football (Not New News)....

White and Gold

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2001
All,

I got engaged with a few UGA friends regarding the differences between UGA and GT's football players. I have been a GT fan for over 30 years and I also graduated from GT in 2000, so I'm quite familiar with both schools.

In doing my own internal research, I stumbled upon the below article from the AJC. I'm not sure if anyone else remembered this article from the AJC. However, I found the data and analysis to be extremely slanted (big surprise) against GT.

* Who was the GT football player admitted with a 590 SAT Score? I'm sure this was a special admit, but I have never heard anything close to that score being admitted into Georgia Tech. Here was the UGA data from the CNN SI report from a few years ago.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1001949-uga-raw-data.html

* A histogram analysis would have been a helpful to show the number of players with scores in certain ranges.

* My understanding is that GT is typically one of the highest, if not the highest SAT scores for public schools for incoming football classes. This was never mentioned by the AJC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=georgia+tech+highest+sat+scores&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=georgia+tech+highest+sat+scores+football

* UGA had twice the number of special admits with a much broader (63 vs 31) compared to GT with a much, much broader curriculum to hide their athletes.

* How many academic coordinators are at UGA to help players get through their heavy workload (such as Tray Matthews get through Elementary Education)?

* UGA spends $2.2 Million on academic support for their athletes, how much does GT spend?

Kelly - I thought you might provide some interesting perspectives on this issue. If you could provide your opinion on difference between the two schools it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Academic scores lag at Division I colleges

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News