ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Practice Notes Co-OCs Edition 3/15

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Georgia Tech held practice number two on Wednesday of spring ball and after practice, offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Buster Faulkner and co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke spoke to the media after practice.

Faulker spoke about how he ended up at GT, he said after the GT-UGA game and the SECCG things picked up with him talking to Key. He has known Key since Key hosted his brother in-law on a recruiting visit over 20 years ago. They never worked together but stayed in touch over the last 20 years and he had a lot of respect for Brent and what he has done and how he approaches his work. They share beliefs on the game and how things should be done and they've put together a great staff.

Faulkner said that they are searching for the identity of the offense and they will develop that this spring, but they want to control tempo fast/slow in and out of the huddle, they will do it different ways and they want to set the standard for GT football. There is not standard set yet, they are trying to establish that standard. The idea of the offense is to get the ball in playmakers hands and create explosive plays and protect the football. They want to be good on third down and in the red zone. They want the QBs to be able to make plays with his feet. Those are the things they are working on and the questions they are trying to answer.

On his TEs, Faulkner said that it is becoming a key position in the NFL and college now and they have to be able to catch the ball, run and block. They are going to play to the strengths of that group and they want to stretch the field if they can at that position.

On Brett Seither, he has familiarity with what they do and how he wants to call it.

On Dylan Leonard, he is extremely pleased with him so far.

Billy Ward is coming on and starting to do some good things and Jackson Long is a young guy that is coming around as well that they are excited about.

Luke Benson is out for a little bit with an injury but they are looking forward to seeing what he can do.

On why he came to GT,

"I think I'm the luckiest man in the world to be in the state of Georgia. This is where I want to be I don't want to be anywhere else. I actually told my wife back in the season, this would be the only place that I would want to be and this is I could not be more excited. Being from 20 minutes down the road growing up watching Georgia Tech, Joe Hamilton, Jeremy Muyres was a teammate of mine, one of the best football players I've ever met around back at Parkview and just to be here in this great city, you know, great state. I think it's the best state in the country as far as high school football goes. We've got a son in high school we want him to finish up his career. So Coach Key was obviously a big part of that. You know, like I said, the way we're aligned and his beliefs, I think he believes in the right things. I think he believes in people the way he went about hiring people is exactly kind of the way I see things. I'm excited. I really, truly feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

On having three QBs but no clear #1 yet,

Pyron started and got hurt so he obviously has an idea of what it takes to be the starter at least for a few weeks and what it takes to be a gamer. Haynes won the starting job a couple of times at TAMU and battled through injuries there so he is similar to Pyron and Gibson started some games as well so all three have some starting experience. The bottom line is we are looking for the toughest guy on the field, bottom line. QB has to be extremely tough and has to be a great leader and have all the intangibles you are looking for at QB. If you look across the country the QB is usually the guy with the best intangibles, whoever ends up wining that job. Right now they are all getting reps.

On the WRs, he thinks they have some size and some speed and they are hungry. They've got to continue developing guys and getting reps. Leo Blackburn is obviously a big part of it and they are encouraged with where he is with his recovery from the wrist injury. He always has a smile on his face. Malik Rutherford is a guy who never got the credit he deserved, he is quick and they are excited about him. Christian Leary is a guy who had a lot of reps at Bama and has done some good things. Abdul Janneh has done some nice things as well. They are two-deep across the board at receiver right now.

On comparing Key and Kirby Smart, both Nick Saban disciples

Anytime you are at a place like Bama there are similarities between him and Kirby and this is Coach Key's alma mater and it means a lot to him and you feel that every day. He thinks that is great and it is very similar to UGA. He said it is very similar to Bama or UGA in how things are done and walkthroughs and how things are done and other guys on the staff have been at places like that too and are like that as well they understand that practice structure and how it is set up.

On the RB room,

He wants position versatility there guys who can run, catch and block. They will know way more with pads on with that group. He is really excited about Coach McKenzie and they've worked together before and he is one of the best teachers in the country.

I asked him about his role developing Stetson Bennett and what he learned about picking QBs from that scenario where they went with the walk-on guy and not the 4/5-star big name,

"I kind of alluded to it earlier, but Stetson is probably the toughest human being I've ever been around and he possessed a lot of the qualities we look for and he has been able to go out and do great things. Whether I'm here, in the NFL, or coaching peewee football, I'm looking for tough guys who are smart and that have all the intangibles."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News