ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Practice Notes and Quotes 11/23

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
A cold day on the Flats in the 30s when practice began, typical end-of-the-year stuff, banged up and trying to get focused and going for the toughest UGA game in a long time here.

Collins opening statement:

"I appreciate you guys being here. And the guys who traveled up to South Bend, the statements I made after the game, when you go back and watch the film, the same thing is the feeling that I had when the game was over. I thought at times we get outcoached, we got out physical to get out-executed. And when you're playing one of the top teams in the country, you can't afford that. And then the result was what it was, obviously, it was a disappointing result, based on the progress that we had been making. I thought it was a step back. But I told the guys right after the cane, we've got to learn from it. We got to regroup. Because now we've got the number one team in the country coming into Bobby Dodd stadium. And we got to be ready to play at our very best at a very high level, to be able to compete against a really, really, really good team. And I don't during the season, I don't sleep very much.

Obviously, a lot of things go through my mind and always trying to fix issues. And before thinking about everything needs to be done. But there was one question that was asked Saturday night, and I don't want it to come across as me avoiding it. It can I think you've asked it a couple of times I haven't really answered. But it's been on my mind a lot. Right after a game. My first and number one priority is our players, our locker room, win or loss, making sure they're in the right headspace and know that what we need to do to keep moving forward and I was asked this question a couple of times about what my feelings are opinions about possible fan frustration, you know, donors, boosters, all of those things, and I get it, but I understand it. I'm frustrated. I'm as big of a competitor as there is in the game. And you know, so I'm frustrated. Even though we've made progress, it's still not, hasn't shown up in the win column where we want it to be and where we need it to be and where it will be. But I completely get the frustration. And I understand that just know that there's nobody that is more focused on fixing it, keeping us moving forward than myself than the men in this building and the women in this building and the players in that locker room. And obviously, the entire focus is on getting our guys ready to play at a high level against a great thing.

That is first and foremost, right now today, obviously, play the game of Saturday. And then as we do every single year, is you go through and evaluate everything. And what steps do we need to take to make sure we're progressing? And doing what we need to do in the offseason? To get us to the point where we're taking the next big step that we're about to take in this program. I understand the frustration. I respect the questions can I really do. I appreciate them, I understand them. And so I just that's been on my mind. And I just want to make sure I wasn't avoiding it. I just I'm so focused on the team. And what we need to do to get better every single day. But I just was wanting to make sure I address that today."

Collins on the rivalry game with UGA and playing #1 and #6 back-to-back

"I think I frame everything as a positive but we enter the season really the last three seasons and including this one with a release the schedules of the top five cup of schedules in college football, we have one of them. Big-time players want to play on big-time stages against big-time competition. Well, you get to do that here. Georgia Tech. So we've got a big-time schedule that we play every single year. It just so happens in this year with the number 1 and number 6 teams in the country in the country. So it is what it is we embrace it. Try to rise to the challenge every single time and it'll be no different Saturday we've got to do that. But you're just personally in kind of bet and kind of what got me thinking about kins questions about the things is, I used to be one, I used to sit right up there in those right up in the what does that the East Side stands and watch the Georgia Tech, Georgia, Thanksgiving Day JV game, we would come as a family and watch, Georgia-Georgia Tech games or just Georgia Tech games in general. So I get it. And then we got my grandma's house and Conyers and have Thanksgiving dinner and play the turkey bowl, and all of those things in the backyard of my grandma's house. But this game, this rivalry has been a part of my life since I was a little kid, my biological father ran track at Georgia, my uncle ran track at Georgia Tech. And I'm not saying it was a house divided. But I'm not saying it wasn't either. So. But I understand the rivalry. You know, they've got a great program. And the thing that I've said, is, I've been here when this game was on the national stage. And obviously Georgia is doing their part to keep it that way. And we're fighting every single day to build our program backward. This game has natural national relevance. And so it's on us to get us to that place. And but a tremendous amount of respect for Kirby and you know, a good friend of mine, and respect to their program, what they've done to get it to be built to this point."

Collins on his rebuilt roster since 2019

"Just look, our Senior Day rosters that we've had the last couple of years. And I think one of the big quotes from Josh (Pastner) early on when he got here, was trying to get old and stay old. For some reason, that just keeps trying to get there. And that's important, you have some of the top teams in our league right now, their older teams are still one of the youngest teams in the country, we still have one of the smallest senior classes in the country. So just developing that roster, building the roster, I think it's obvious that we've got tremendous quality players that are coming through the program. And then we've got some guys that have just completely bought in and have developed to a high level are playing really well. And then have gotten some key transfers to provide leadership to the small senior classes. And those things are important. And, you know, so we've got to continue to build depth, continue to build, get older, and have a lot of numbers that are older, in the program, too. So we're working toward that. And we'll continue to build that every day. And obviously, starting Sunday, we'll get to go out on the road recruiting, that's a huge deal for us. And, you know, we've had a lot of success, bringing quality guys and developing the guys that are here."

Collins on the recruit feedback from this season and holding his class together

"I think the impact that we've had in having a presence in Atlanta back in the state of Georgia in recruiting, and then from the transfer perspective, as well guys coming back home that have gone off to other places, and coming back home has been a real positive force. And, you know, the recruits you know, I don't want to talk about progress and how close we become, but they do see that and, you know, they think hopefully that they can be part of taking it to the next step into the next level. And those are the kind of guys that we want in the program. And we've got a lot of young guys in the program that feel that way too. But that's the piece of the recruiting is continue to develop the roster continue to build the roster continue to bring guys in that can get us over the hump and into the next level so that we are becoming the team that I know we can be in will be very, very soon but it all starts on Saturday against the number one team in the country right out here on Grand Field. And you know all as in the state will be watching and you know, it's going to be an exciting game and exciting opportunity. A big challenge for us to play at a high level versus."

Collins on possible staff changes and evaluating where things are now in year three compared to year one

"The steps that we've made to close the gap, obviously are noticeable, but it hasn't shown up in the win column. And it's frustrating to me, and it's, you know, our guys, you know, we show them what used to be a long table fly, we, you know, lost games. Now, it's, you know, this one player, this two plays, but to me, that's on us as coaches to make sure those one or two plays are in our favor. And, you know, we're continuing to build continuing to learn how to get over that next hump, and you know, everything, you know, every single week, how do we get better, so that we can take that next step. And obviously, on Sunday, that'll be a big day of evaluation and figuring out ways that next year that we're not only really close again, but it'll also be time to take that next step and push up."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News